Honours & Awards
1. Marina Tabassum wins Lisbon Triennale Lifetime Achievement Award
- Renowned Bangladeshi architect, Marina Tabassum became the first person from the global south and first south Asian to win the prestigious Lisbon Triennale Millennium bcp Lifetime Achievement Award.
- She will receive an original artwork by the Portuguese artist and sculptor Carlos Nogueira as award during the Lisbon Triennale.
- Marina Tabassum is known for her architectural designs that break away from commercialism and deeply embed environmental concerns.
2. India unveils first Saline Water Lantern using sea water for LED lamps
- Union Minister, Jitendra Singh has unveiled India’s first Saline Water Lantern named ‘Roshni’ which uses the sea water to power the specially designed LED lamps.
- It will bring Ease of Living to the fishing community living along the 7500 km long coastal line of India.
- Saline water-powered Roshini LED lamps will boost and supplement Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s UJALA scheme.
- It has been developed by the National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT), Chennai.
3. Govt to bring model by-laws to govern all Primary Agricultural Cooperative
- Union Home Minister, Amit Shah has announced the roll-out of model by-laws to govern all Primary Agricultural Cooperative Societies (PACS) in the country during a national conference on rural cooperative banks organized by Ministry of Cooperation and National Federation of State Cooperative Banks (NAFSCOB) at Vignan Bhavan, New Delhi.
- There are more than 95,000 PACS currently, of which only about 63,000 PACS are functional.
4. Union Minister, Virendra Kumar launched ‘SMILE-75 Initiative’.
- Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Virendra Kumar has launched the 'SMILE: Support for Marginalized Individuals for Livelihood and Enterprise' initiative in New Delhi.
- It aims to make cities, towns, and municipal areas begging-free and make a strategy for comprehensive rehabilitation of the persons engaged in the act of begging through the coordinated action of various stakeholders.
- Total budget fir smile-75: Rs 100 crores till 2025-26.
5. India adds 11 more wetlands to the list of Ramsar Sites
- India has added 11 more wetlands to the list of Ramsar sites to make total 75 Ramsar sites covering an area of 13,26,677 Hectare
- These 11 new sites include, 4 in Tamil Nadu, 3 in Odisha, 2 in Jammu and Kashmir and 1 each in MP and Maharashtra.
- Total of 28 sites have been declared as Ramsar sites in 2022
- Tamil Nadu (14) has maximum number of Ramsar sites, followed by UP (10)
- Ramsar site: Wetland site designated to be of international importance under Ramsar Convention
Banking & Finance
6. Retail Inflation based on CPI declines to 6.71% in July 2022
- Retail inflation, based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI), eased to 6.71% in July 2022 as compared to 7.01% in preceding month, as per the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation data
- Inflation eased mainly due to easing prices in the Food & Beverages section.
- However, the retail inflation level remains above the mandated level of 4% with a margin of 2% on either side.
- CPI-based inflation or retail inflation: Change in the price index over a period.
7. British govt officially declares drought in parts of England
- British govt has officially declared certain parts of southern, central, and eastern England as drought areas after a prolonged period of hot and dry weather.
- England suffered its driest July in 2022 since 1935, with only 35% of the average rainfall for the month, and parts of England and Wales are now in the middle of a 4-day extreme heat alert.
- All water companies have reassured essential supplies and are prepared than ever before for periods of dry weather.
8. Bangladesh names Shakib al Hasan as skipper for Asia and World Cup
- Bangladesh Cricket Board named Shakib Al Hasan as the captain for the Asia Cup, Tri-nation T-20 series with Pakistan and host team of New Zealand starting in October as well as the World Cup 2022 in Australia.
- This decision was followed by the bad performance of the Bangladesh team in T-20 matches
- BCB also announced a 17-member team for the Asia Cup.
- He employs an aggressive left-handed batting style in the middle order and controlled slow left-arm orthodox bowling
9. Govt commences Basmati crop survey during 2022-2023 crop year
- Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has commenced Basmati crop survey to estimate acreage, assess crop health and expected yield of aromatic and long grain rice during 2022-2023 kharif crop season using climate-based yield modelling
- It is being executed under Basmati Export Development Foundation (BEDF), APEDA
- Final survey report will be finalized by Dec 2022
- India has exported USD 12 billion Basmati in the last three years.
10. Ministry of Ayush signs MoU with MeitY for digitalization of Ayush Sector
- Ministry of Ayush has signed MoU with Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) for providing technical support to Ministry of Ayush for digitalization of Ayush Sector under Ayush Grid project for 3 years.
- Ayush Grid project was initiated in 2018 by the Ministry for creating a comprehensive IT backbone for the entire sector.
- Digitalization of the entire Ayush Sector will lead to its transformation in fields of health care delivery at all levels.