1. Carlos Alcaraz beats Casper Ruud to clinch 2022 US Open Singles title
- Spanish, Carlos Alcaraz(19) has defeated Casper Ruud to secure his maiden Men's Singles title at the 2022 US Open tennis.
- He is the youngest men's Grand Slam champion since Rafael Nadal won the French Open in 2005.
- Women's singles: Iga Świątek (Poland)
- Men's doubles: Rajeev Ram (US) / Joe Salisbury (UK)
- Women's doubles: Barbora Krejčiková (Czech Republic) / Kateřina Siniaková (Czech Republic)
- Mixed doubles: Storm Sanders / John Peers (Australia)
Honours & Awards
2. Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences bags International Literacy Prize 2022
- Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS) has been conferred with the highest global recognition on Literacy- UNESCO International Literacy Prize 2022.
- This award has been given at a global award ceremony organised by UNESCO in Côte d’Ivoire on 8 September 2022.
- KISS is the fifth recipient from India and the first and only institute from Odisha to receive this International honour.
- It was founded by Dr Samanta, a well-known Educationist and Social Activist.
3. Dwarka Sharda Peeth Shankaracharya Swami Swaroopanand Saraswati passes away
- Dwarka peeth Shankaracharya Swami Swaroopanand Saraswati has been passed away at Narsinghpur, Madhya Pradesh, at the age of 99.
- He was born as Pothiram Upadhyay in Dighori village in the Seoni district of Madhya Pradesh in 1924.
- He had left his home in the pursuit of God at the age of nine.
- He was incarcerated during the freedom struggle.
- He was the Shankaracharya of Dwarka Sharada Peetham in Gujarat and the Jyotir Math in Badrinath.
- He became a Shankracharya in 1981
4. Walong-Kibithu road in Arunachal Pradesh named after Gen Bipin Rawat
- The strategically key Kibithu military force on the banks of Lohit Valley along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and a key road in this mountain hamlet were named after India’s first Chief of Defence Staff Gen Bipin Rawat.
- He had commanded Battalion 5/11 Gorkha Rifles at Kibithu from 1999-2000.
- He had also contributed immensely to strengthening the security structure in the area.
- The small hamlet is inhabited by Meyor and Jarkin tribes.
Banking & Finance
5. Max Life launches Smart Flexi Protect Solution
- Max Life Insurance Company Ltd. has launched the ‘Smart Flexi Protect Solution’, that offers health and enhanced life cover, along with market-linked investment returns.
- This is a combination of Max Life Flexi Wealth Plus, and Max Life Critical Illness and Disability Secure Rider.
- This policy is a unique proposition of wealth creation along with comprehensive protection against death, disability and critical illness.
Banking & Finance
6. HSBC commits Rs 125 cr to green causes in India over next 5 years
- HSBC has committed to invest Rs 125 crore over the next five years to support green causes like wetland conservation and energy transition projects in India.
- Under the commitment, the HSBC has divided the works into energy transition and nature-based solutions.
- Nature-based solutions: Projects to protect and revitalise wetlands, mangroves and forests, landscape restoration.
- Energy transition: Renewables and energy efficiency programmes
7. Former Chief Justice of India, KN Singh passes away
- Former Chief Justice of India, Kamal Narain Singh has been passed away on at the age of 95.
- He was the 22nd Chief Justice of India, with a term from November 25, 1991 to December 12, 1991.
- He started his career as an Additional Judge of the Allahabad High Court in 1970.
- He then became a Permanent Judge in August 1972.
- He got elevated as a Supreme Court judge in 1986.
- He also served as Chairman of the 13th Law Commission of India from 1991-1994.
8. Gujarat government unveils Cinematic Tourism Policy
- Gujarat CM, Bhupendra Patel has unveiled the state’s first Cinematic Tourism Policy at an event in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- During the launch the govt has signed MoUs worth ₹1,020 crore with organisations and individuals with the department for the development of film infrastructure and film production.
- The policy offers various financial and non-financial incentives for film infrastructure development projects and for film-making projects.
- Special guest: Actor Ajay Devgan
9. World Suicide Prevention Day: 10 September
- World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD) is observed annually on 10 September to raise awareness about suicide prevention worldwide.
- The day is organized by the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) and endorsed by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Theme 2022: Creating hope through action; it is the triennial theme for this day from 2021 to 2023.
- The theme showcased that suicide is not a solution to any action and hope must be created through action.
10. World First Aid Day 2022: Second Saturday of September.
- World First Aid Day is celebrated every year on the second Saturday of September.
- This year, World First Aid Day falls on September 10.
Aim: To raise public awareness of how First Aid can save thousands of lives in everyday crisis.
- The theme for World First Aid Day 2022 is 'Lifelong Frst Aid.'
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) had established World First Aid Day in 2000.