Science & Technology
1. ISRO's Cryogenic engine successfully passes hot test for LVM3
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully tested the hot test on indigenously developed, cryogenic engine, at Mahendragiri in Tamil Nadu.
- This engine will power the heaviest rocket of ISRO, the LVM-3 (Previously called as GSLV-Mk3).
- LVM-III went through the hot test at an uprated thrust level of 21.8 tonnes for the first time.
- Aim: To test that the engine can support a payload capability of up to 450 kg with additional propellant loading.
2. Uttar Pradesh to host 2023 Khelo India National University games
- The third edition of Khelo India National University Games (2023-24) will be held in four cities of Uttar Pradesh.
- These cities are Lucknow (main host city), Gorakhpur, Varanasi and Noida.
- Navneet Sehgal (UP’s Additional Chief Secretary) announced that around 4,500 athletes will represent 150 universities across the country.
- The inaugural edition of the Khelo India National University Games was held in Odisha (2020) while Karnataka was the host for the second edition.
Honours & Awards
3. NFDB awarded “India Agribusiness Awards 2022”
- National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB), Hyderabad was awarded India Agribusiness Awards 2022 at the 'AgroWorld 2022', held from 9th - 11th November 2022.
- Category: ‘Best Agribusiness Award under Fisheries Sector’
- NFDB comes under the Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, GoI.
- While, Haryana has received the 'India Agribusiness Awards 2022' in the best state category for their contribution in the areas of agriculture.
National & International Appointments
4. Athlete, Neeraj Chopra becomes 'Friendship Ambassador' of Switzerland
- Olympic medalist, Neeraj Chopra has been appointed as the ‘Friendship Ambassador’ by Switzerland Tourism.
- Role: To showcase and promote the adventurous, sporty, and stunning outdoors of Switzerland to Indian travellers.
- He was also visited the Olympic Museum in Lausanne, where he donated his gold-winning javelin.
- With this he hopes to encourage more people to take up the sport.
- Since 2017, he has been travelling in Switzerland to participate in competitions.
Summits & Conferences
5. VP Jagdeep Dhankhar to attend 17th East Asia Summit
- VP Jagdeep Dhankhar will attend the ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit and the 17th East Asia Summit, that will be organsied in Cambodia (current Chair of ASEAN)
- He will also have bilateral meetings with Cambodian Prime Minister, Hun Sen and other dignitaries at Phnom Penh.
- External Affairs Minister, Dr. S. Jaishankar will also participate in the summit
- This year marks the 30th anniversary of ASEAN-India relations and is being celebrated as the ASEAN-India Friendship Year
6. Indian Army launches single window facility 'Veerangana Sewa Kendra'
- Indian Army has launched a single window facility named Veerangana Sewa Kendra (VSK) for welfare and grievances redressal of Veer Naris.
- The Indian Army has launched this facility with a motto of "Taking Care of Our Own, No Matter What”.
- The project was inaugurated by President Army Wives Welfare Association at the Directorate of Indian Army Veterans premises located at Delhi Cantt.
- The VSK will be available on www.indianarmyveterans.gov.in.
7. Odisha to be made slum-free by 2023-end
- Odisha CM, Naveen Patnaik has announced that Odisha will be made slum-free by December, 2023.
- He has also declared Hinjilih (his constituency) and Digapahandi town in Ganjam district as ‘slum free’ and dedicated 707 ‘Biju Adarsh Colonies’ in 33 urban areas of the state.
- He also declared that land rights will be given to 2.5 lakh families by next year.
- Slum dwellers are being given land rights for their houses in ‘Biju Adarsh Colonies’, being built across the state.
Banking & Finance
8. SBI report: CAD likely to be lower at 3% this fiscal
- State Bank of India has lowered the current account deficit (CAD) at 3% for this fiscal (2022-23) as against the minimum consensus of 3.5%.
- Reason: Rising software exports, remittances and a likely $5-billion jump in forex reserves via swap deals.
- CAD: The country is importing more goods and services than it is exporting
- The biggest impact on CAD is oil imports, which form as much as 30% of the country's import bills.
Banking & Finance
9. NPCI launched BHIM app open-source license model
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched the BHIM App open-source license model.
- Under the new model, the source code of the BHIM app will be licensed to regulated entities participating in the UPI ecosystem.
- Presently, a large number of banks do not have a mobile banking app and by licensing the source code of BHIM to such banks, NPCI bridge this gap by extending all available features of UPI to these entities.
- NPCI CEO: Dilip Asbe
10. Virat Kohli becomes first batter to score 4000 runs in T20Is
- Indian batsman, Virat Kohli has scripted history as he became the first batter in history to reach 4000 runs in T20 Internationals.
- He reached the landmark in the second semi-final of the T20 World Cup 2022 against England in Adelaide, Australia.
- Earlier, he became the all-time leading run-scorer in the men's T20 World Cups against Bangladesh in Adelaide.
- He broke record of Mahela Jayawardene (1016 runs), which was set in 2014.
11. MoHUA launches ‘Transport4All Challenge Stage-2’
- Hardeep Singh Puri (MOHUA) has launched the ‘Transport4All Challenge Stage-2’.
- Under this, startups will be engaged to develop solutions to transport problems in 46 cities.
- Aim: To enhance mobility experience, focuses on digital innovation and invites cities, citizens and innovators to develop contextual solutions to improve formal as well as informal public transport
- The minister has also launched the ‘Citizen Perception Survey’ under the Ease of Living Index-2022.
Honours & Awards
12. Arfa Khanum Sherwani to receive 2022 Kuldip Nayar Patrakarita Samman Award
- The Gandhi Peace Foundation has announced that the prestigious Kuldip Nayar Patrakarita Samman for 2022 to Arfa Khanum Sherwani (The Wire’s senior editor) and Ajit Anjum (independent journalist and YouTuber).
- The announcement was made at a press conference held at New Delhi’s Press Club of India by the well-known academic and author, Ashis Nandy.
- Ravish Kumar was the first person who was honoured with this award in 2017, followed by Marathi journalist Nikhil Wagle.
13. MHA completes mother tongue survey of 576 languages
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has successfully completed a mother tongue survey with field videography of 576 languages and dialects across the country.
- According to the annual report of the Home Ministry for 2021-22, it has been planned to set up a web archive at NIC to preserve and analyse the original flavour of each indigenous mother tongue.
- The Linguistic Survey of India is a regular research activity in the country since the 6th Five Year Plan.