1. Novak Djokovic wins 7th Wimbledon title and 21st Grand Slam
- Serbian tennis player, Novak Djokovic has clinched the Wimbledon 2022 title after beating Australian Nick Kyrgios by 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 in London.
- He became the fourth player in the open era after Roger Federer, Pete Sampras, and Bjorn Borg won four titles in a row.
- It is the 21st Grand Slam title of Djokovic.
- Kazakhstan tennis player, Elena Rybakina has clinched the Women's Singles title.
- Most singles titles:
- Men: Roger Federer (8)
- Women: Martina Navratilova (9)
2. Health Ministry and Panchayati Raj Ministry sign MoU to eliminate TB
- Union Health Ministry and Panchayati Raj Ministry have signed an MoU to eliminate TB in India by 2025.
- The MoU was signed by Dr. Bijaya Kumar Behera, Economic Adviser on behalf of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj and Dr. P Ashok Babu, Joint Secretary on behalf of the Ministry of Health.
- This MoU will shape the inter-Ministerial collaboration and strategic partnerships to achieve the Prime Minister’s ambitious target of eliminating TB in India.
- World TB Day: 24th March
3. Abhishek Verma, Jyothi Surekha Vennam win bronze medal in archery
- The Indian compound mixed team archery duo of Abhishek Verma and Jyothi Surekha Vennam won a bronze medal at the 11th edition of World Games held at Birmingham, Alabama, USA from July 7-17 2022.
- In the bronze medal round, the team defeated Canada’s Andrea Becerra & Miguel Becerra.
- Abhishek Verma is the only Indian archer to win medals at all stages of compound archery (World Games, World Championship, World Cup Final, World Cup, Asian Games, Asian Championship).
4. Former Angolan President José Eduardo Dos Santos passes away
- Former President of Angolan, José Eduardo dos Santos has passed away at the age of 79.
- He was one of Africa's longest-serving heads of state, who ruled for almost four decades as president of Angola.
- He stepped down from the president's post in 2017.
- He had also fought for the continent’s longest civil war and turned his country into a major oil producer.
- Angola capital: Luanda; Currency: Kwanza; President: Joao Lourenco
5. India joins Interpol’s child sexual exploitation database
- India becomes the 68th country to join the Interpol’s international child sexual exploitation (ICSE) database.
- This allow to draw links between victims, abusers and crime scene using audio-visual data.
- The CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) is the India’s nodal agency for Interpol matters.
- As per the NCRB data (2021), Uttar Pradesh has topped the list of sexual offences against children followed by Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu.
Books & Authors
6. Union minister Meenakshi Lekhi launches ‘Swadhinata Sangram Na Surviro'
- Union Minister of Culture, Meenakshi Lekhi has launched the book the titled, “Swadhinta Sangram na 75 Shoorveero” in Gujarati.
- This book is a page-long summary of 75 freedom fighters of India like- Tirupur Kumaran from Tamil Nadu who saved the Flag.
- It is a part of the "Swadhinta Ka Amrit Mahotsav" to mark the 75th year of the country's Independence.
- The book is published by the Hindu Spiritual & Service Foundation in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
7. 36th National Games to be held in Gujarat from 27 September 27, 2022
- Chief minister of Gujarat, Bhupendra Patel has announced that Gujarat will host the 36th National Games between September 27 and October 10.
- The prestigious event is being held after a gap of seven years, the last was being held in 2015 in Kerala.
- PM Narendra Modi had launched the ‘Khel Mahakhumbh’ initiative in Gujarat in 2010 when he was the chief minister of the state.
- The National Games will have 34 sporting events including athletics, hockey, among others.
8. HAL sign agreement with Safran to create JV to build helicopter engines
- Safran Helicopter Engines has signed an agreement with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) to create a new joint venture intended to develop helicopter engines.
- The MoU was signed by Mr. R. Madhavan (HAL CMD) and Franck Saudo (Safran CEO).
- Aim: To meet the requirements of HAL and India’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) future helicopters, including the future 13-ton IMRH (Indian Multi Role Helicopter).
- Both companies have also partnered for Shakti engine.
9. Chhattisgarh receives Centre’s nod for World Bank funded school project
- The Chhattisgarh Government has received in- principle nod from the Centre for $300 million school education project which is funded by the World Bank.
- Loan tenure: 5 years, the state government has to payback this amount over a period of 20 years.
- Aim: To boost the education system of Chhattisgarh.
- In-principle nod: The central government has no objection with the State borrowing money from international financial institution like World Bank.
10. World Population Day: 11th July
- The World Population Day is observed on the 11th of July every year with an aim to increase the awareness of the people towards the worldwide population issues.
- The Day was first marked on 11th July 1990 in more than 90 countries.
- The theme for World Population Day 2022 is ‘A world of 8 billion: Towards a resilient future for all - Harnessing opportunities and ensuring rights and choices for all.