1. India’s largest reclining statue of Lord Buddha being built at Bodh Gaya
- India`s largest reclining statue of Lord Buddha is being built in Bodh Gaya, built by Buddha International Welfare Mission.
- The statue (Lord Buddha is in the sleeping posture) will be 100 feet long and 30 feet high.
- The idol of this posture of Lord Buddha is in Uttar Pradesh`s Kushinagar where he attained his Mahaparinirvana.
- It is being made with fibreglass and built by sculptors from Kolkata.
- It will be open for devotees from February 2023.
National & International Appointments
2. Yoon Suk-yeol elected as new President of South Korea
- In South Korea, opposition candidate Yoon Suk Yeol (People Power Party) has been elected as the country's new President.
- He defeated his ruling liberal party opponent Lee Jae-myung.
- With more than 99 percent of the ballots counted, Yoon won 48.6 percent of the votes, narrowly edging his rival Lee Jae-myung of Democratic Party, who garnered 47.8 percent.
- The election comes as South Korea has been grappling with an omicron-driven COVID-19 surge.
- Capital: Seoul
National & International Appointments
3. Lupin named Mary Kom as brand ambassador for his Shakti initiative
- Lupin Ltd has signed six-time world boxing champion and Olympics bronze medallist Mary Kom as brand ambassador for its Shakti campaign.
- The campaign is aimed at increasing awareness about heart diseases among women through interactive social media sessions, sharing informative videos from doctors, and in-clinic awareness activities for patients.
4. S L Narayanan wins Grandiscacchi Cattolica Intern. Open Chess Tournament
- Indian Grandmaster S L Narayanan (24-year) was declared the winner in the Grandiscacchi Cattolica International Open, held in Italy.
- While his compatriot R Praggnanandhaa finished runner-up.
- He posted four wins and secured five draws to score 6.5 points.
- Narayanan earned the title of Grandmaster in 2015 and is the 41st Grandmaster from India.
5. Upper age limit for appearing in NEET- UG examination removed
- The National Medical Commission (NMC) has removed the upper age limit for appearing in the medical undergraduate entrance exam--NEET-UG examination.
- The process for official notification to suitably amend the regulations on Graduate Medical Eduction 1997 to this effect has been initiated.
- Earlier, the age limit was 25 years for general category candidates and 30 years in the case of reserved category candidates.
6. Karnataka govt launches programme to provide 5 lakh jobs to women
- Karnataka govt has launched 'Women@Work' program to provide five lakh jobs within 2026 to women with necessary employable skills.
- The program aims to focus on the efforts of corporate programs on attracting women workforce.
- It has been developed by Karnataka Digital Economy Mission (KDEM) in association with KTECH, Karnataka Skill Development Corporation.
- It will act as an enabler for women to actively participate and join the workforce through industry upskilling.
Banking & Finance
7. Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance, Bharat Co-operative Bank ink bancassurance
- Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance (ABSLI), the life insurance subsidiary of Aditya Birla Capital Limited (ABCL), and Bharat Co-operative Bank (Mumbai) Ltd. have announced their bancassurance partnership.
- This collaboration facilitates a common platform to reach out to the bank’s five lakh plus customers with relevant life insurance solutions.
- The agreement will provide life insurance support to more than 5 lakh customers of the bank.
8. India, Bangladesh, Nepal finalise MoU to boost trade and connectivity
- India, Bangladesh, and Nepal finalized an enabling MoU for implementing the long-gestating Bangladesh-Bhutan-India-Nepal (BBIN) Motor Vehicles Agreement (MVA).
- It is aimed at boosting regional trade and connectivity.
- The enabling MoU to be signed by India, Bangladesh and Nepal to implement the BBIN MVA was finalised at a meeting held in New Delhi during March 7-8.
- Bhutan participated in the meeting as an observer.
9. TN CM launches SPIC’s floating solar unit at Thoothukudi
- Tamil Nadu chief minister M K Stalin inaugurated India’s biggest floating solar park in Tuticorin.
- It has the capacity to produce 42 million units of electricity per annum.
- The park, established at a cost of Rs 150.40 crore, is part of SPIC’s Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) Progress towards commitment to producing renewable energy.
- A 48-acre floating solar power plant has been set up on a large water reservoir that spans 62-acres.
10. Karnataka Bank inks pact with SELCO Solar
- Karnataka Bank has signed an MoU with SELCO Solar Light Pvt Ltd to provide energy access to the underserved population.
- Under this initiative, Karnataka Bank provides financial support to purchase the solar energy products of SELCO Solar Light Pvt Ltd.
- Under this collaborative initiative, Karnataka Bank provides financial support for the purchase of solar energy products of SELCO in India.
- Customers can avail of loans from the Bank with a competitive interest rate.
Banking & Finance
11. Crisil retains GDP growth forecast at 7.8 per cent for 2022-23
- Domestic rating agency CRISIL estimated FY23 real GDP growth at 7.8 percent as compared with the 8.5 percent projected in the Economic Survey.
- FM Nirmala Sitharaman's Budget proposals focused on loosening the purse strings by boosting capital expenditure and going slow on fiscal consolidation are aimed in the right direction.
- The agency expects the nominal growth to come at 12-13%, higher than the 11.1% Budget Estimate, and the headline inflation to average 5.2%.