1. India's first forest healing centre inaugurated in Uttarakhand
- India’s first-of-its-kind ‘Forest Healing Centre’ has been inaugurated at Kalika, Ranikhet in Uttarakhand
- About Forest Healing Centre:
- It is based on the concept of making people healthy by bringing them into direct contact with nature over 13 acres land
- It is a pine-dominated forest, developed by research wing of Uttarakhand Forest Dept
- It has various activities for visitors like hug trees, walk barefoot on the grass, lie on their back and gaze at the swaying trees
2. J&K launches Super-75 Scholarship Scheme for meritorious girls
- J&K Lt Governor Manoj Sinha has launched ‘Super-75’ scholarship schemes for meritorious girls
- Aim: To facilitate the education and entrepreneurship of women
- The scheme will support the education of meritorious girls from poor families, so that they can excel in streams like medicine, engineering, ITI and humanity and contribute to nation-building.
- ‘Tejaswini’ scheme was also announced providing financial assistance of Rs 5 lakhs to the girls between 18 to 35 years.
Banking & Finance
3. HDFC Bank launches ‘SmartUp Unnati’ for Women Entrepreneurs
- HDFC Bank has launched dedicated mentoring programme named as ‘SmartUp Unnati’ to support women entrepreneurs.
- Under this SmartUp Unnati programme, senior women leaders from HDFC Bank having expertise in various domains will mentor women entrepreneurs, over the next one year, to help them achieve their goals.
- It is available only to existing HDFC customers and will initially target more than 3,000 women entrepreneurs associated with the bank’s SmartUp programme.
Books & Authors
4. Book on Smriti Irani's victory in Amethi to release on March 15
- Book titled ‘Dynasty to Democracy: The Untold Story of Smriti Irani’s Triumph’ has been scheduled to release on March 15
- The book traces the journey of Smriti Irani from her defeat in 2014 to her victory over Amethi, UP in 2019 LS election
- Amethi is ‘karmabhoomi’ of Nehru–Gandhi, since its inception as LS constituency in 1967
- It is the English version of ‘Amethi Sangram: Aitihasik Jeet Ankahi Dastan’ written by journalist-author Anant Vijay
- It is published by Westland
National & International Appointments
5. NABARD’s Chairman G.R. Chintala takes charge as Chairman of APRACA
- Chairman of NABARD, G.R. Chintala has been sworn in as the Chairman of APRACA (Asia Pacific Rural and Agricultural Credit Association)
- He succeeded DPK Gunasekera.
- Established: 1977 by Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Aim: to promote the development of rural finance in Asia Pacific.
- It is a non- government international organization, representing 21 countries in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Headquarters: Bangkok, Thailand.
6. PV Sindhu settles for silver in BWF Swiss Open Online Classroom Program 300
- India’s ace shuttler PV Sindhu has won silver medal in BWF Swiss Open Online Classroom Program 300 in final of women’s singles event held at Basel
- She lost to World No. 3 and reigning Olympic champion Carolina Marin.
- Other Winners:
- Men’s Singles: Viktor Axelsen (Denmark) beat Kunlavut Vitidsarn (Thailand)
- Women’s Singles: Carolina Marin (Spain) beat PV Sindhu (India)
- Men’s Doubles: Kim Astrup and Anders Skaarup Rasmussen (Denmark)
- Mixed Doubles: Thom Gicquel-Delphine Delrue (France)
Books & Authors
7. Autobiography of ‘Frontier Gandhi’ released in English
- Autobiography of freedom fighter ‘Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan’, titled ‘The Frontier Gandhi: My Life and Struggle’ has been released
- It is English translation of Abdul Khan’s autobiography, which was first published in Iranian language Pashto in 1983
- English translation of the book is done by former Pakistani author Imitiaz Ahmad Sahibzada
- It is published by Roli Book publishing house
- Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan: Afghan independence activist against British colonial rule in India
National & International Organizations
8. UNEP releases Food Waste Index Report 2021
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and WRAP has released Food Waste Index Report 2021 to cut food waste to half by 2030
- Key findings:
- It estimates that around 931 million tonnes of food waste was generated in 2019
- Out of which, 61% came from households, 26% from food service and 13% from retail
- Around 17% of total global food production was wasted
- About 690 million people went hungry in 2019
- In India, household food waste is about 68.7 million tonnes a year
National & International Appointments
9. Tirath Singh Rawat to be new Uttarakhand Chief Minister
- Tirath Singh Rawat (56 years) will take over as Chief Minister of Uttarakhand, after the resignation of Trivendra Singh Rawat.
- He is a BJP MP from the Pauri constituency.
- He was the chief of BJP in Uttarakhand in 2013-15 and also an MLA from the state in the past.
- BJP was faced with challenge of balancing two groups: old-time BJP players were pitching for their candidate and imports from Congress, like Harak Singh Rawat and Satpal Maharaj, were pushing for theirs.
10. NITI Aayog along with DEA organises virtual workshop on asset monetization
- NITI Aayog, along with Dept of Economic Affairs (DEA) has organized national-level virtual workshop on asset monetization.
- Workshop elaborated on the strategic context of core and non-core asset monetization, along with detailed discussions on the need for and modality of such monetization.
- He also highlighted the potential monetization opportunities for States and the pre-requisites for being successful in this regard.
- NITI Aayog CEO: Amitabh Kant.
Science & Technology
11. Online certification course on 5G for Govt Officers inaugurated
- Secretary, Department of Telecommunications, Anshu Prakash has inaugurated an online certification course on 5G Technology for Government Officers
- It is being conducted by National Telecommunications Institute for Policy Research, Innovation and Training (NTIPRIT)
- It is the first of its kind 36-hour (12 week) online 5G Certification Course to train and certify Officers of Government of India.
- It will act as a capsule programme for learning overall 5G technology.
12. IOCL signs MoU with IDCO for Paradeep Plastic Park
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) has signed MoU with Odisha Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (IDCO) to develop Paradip Plastic Park
- Govt has initiated the cluster development of the Industry through its Plastic Park scheme, keeping the enterprise and employment generation potential of the plastic sector in mind
- Currently, six such parks have been approved by Government of India, with Paradip Plastic Park being one of them.