National & International Appointments
1. James Marape sworn in as prime minister of Papua New Guinea for second term
- James Marape, who become the prime minister of Papua New Guinea in 2019, has been re-elected as PM of the country for second term.
- Papua New Guinea has been governed by multi-party coalitions.
- He joined the PANGU Pati in May 2019 and announced to lead the PANGU Pati.
- About Papua New Guinea:
- Capital: Port Moresby; Currency: Kina
- It is a South Pacific nation.
- It got independence from Australia on 16 September 1975.
- It is rich reserves of copper, gold, and oil
2. PM Modi dedicate second generation (2G) Ethanol Plant in Panipat, Haryana
- PM Narendra Modi has dedicated to the nation the 2nd Generation (2G) Ethanol Plant at Panipat in Haryana through video conferencing.
- The 2G Ethanol Plant has been built by the Indian Oil Corporation Limited, at an estimated cost of over 900 crore rupees.
- The project will utilise about two lakh tonnes of rice straw (parali) annually to generate around three crore litres of Ethanol per annum.
- It will also contribute to a reduction of Greenhouse Gases.
3. AIADMK's MP, K Maya Thevar passes away
- Former MP of AIADMK, K Maya Thevar has been passed away at 88 due to age-related ailments.
- He started his career as lawyer, and practised as an advocate at the Madras HC.
- Later he moved to politics and joined AIADMK, and becomes the candidate for the first-ever Lok Sabha election faced by the AIADMK after the formation of the party in 1972 by former CM MG Ramachandran.
- He had also selected the two-leaves symbol for seeking a mandate from Dindigul constituency, TN.
4. Asian Championship medalist Kamaraj passes away
- Former Athlete, P V Kamaraj has been passed away at 68 due to a massive heart attack in Chennai.
- He was a part of the 4x400m Indian men's relay team that won bronze at the 1979 Asian Championships, Tokyo.
- He was retired as a Chief Reservation Officer with the Indian Railways and had contributed immensely to athletics in Tiruchi (hometown of Kamaraj).
- He was a NIS-trained coach and had trained the Tamil Nadu state team for several years.
5. 44th Chess Olympiad concluded; India's men & women team win bronze medal
- The 44th edition of the Chess Olympiad has been concluded in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- India 'B' team (Men's) comprising D Gukesh, R Praggnanandhaa, Raunak Sadhwaniand and Adhiban won the bronze medal after defeating Germany.
- India 'A' team (Women's) comprising Vaishali and Koneru Humphy, Tania Sachdev and Bhakti Kulkari won the bronze medal.
- The Uzbekistan team won gold medal in the men's section and Armenia clinched the silver medal.
6. Serena Williams announces her retirement from professional tennis
- American legendary tennis player, Serena Williams has announced her retirement from professional tennis.
- The US Open 2022 would be her farewell tournament.
- She has been ranked singles world No.1 by the Women's Tennis Association for 319 weeks.
- She has won 23 Grand Slam singles titles, the second most of all time by any player in the open history after an Australian player, Margaret Court (24).
- She won her first Grand Slam, the U.S. Open in 1999.
7. Singapore declared Padang as 75th national monument of the country
- Singapore has declared its 200-year-old iconic green open space Padang as its 75th national monument as the country celebrates its 57th National Day (9th August).
- From this site, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose had given his ‘Delhi Chalo’ slogan in 1943.
- From now, the Padang has been preserved and accorded the highest level of protection in Singapore under the Preservation of Monuments Act.
- The victory parade of Japanese surrender on September 12, 1945 was held on Padang.
8. 12th edition of Defence Expo to be organised in Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- The 12th edition of the Defence Expo, India's flagship exhibition on Land, Naval and Homeland Security systems will be organised in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- The event will be held between October 18 and 22, 2022.
- Theme: Path to Pride
- Focus: Live demonstrations showcasing the equipment and skill set of the Armed Forces, DPSUs and Industry.
- The exhibition is in line with the vision of PM Modi to achieve self-reliance in defence and achieve export of $5 billion by 2025.
9. Google launches 'India Ki Udaan' to mark 75 years of independence of India
- Google has launched the 'India ki Udaan' project to celebrate the 75 years of Independence of India in the presence of Union Culture and Tourism Minister, G Kishan Reddy and other senior officials.
- It was executed by Google Arts and Culture.
- It is based on the theme ‘Unwavering and undying spirit of India over these past 75 years’.
- The project will use rich archives and feature artistic illustrations to tell the story of India.
- Google CEO: Sundar Pichai
10. World Biofuel Day 2022: August 10
- World Biofuel Day is celebrated annually on August 10 to mark the importance of non-fossil fuels as a replacement for conventional fossil fuels.
- On this date, Sir Rudolf Diesel (German) successfully ran his diesel engine on peanut oil.
- In India, the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas and the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change started celebrating World Biofuel Day 2015 onwards.
- Three types of biofuels used in India: Bioethanol, biodiesel, and biogas
11. Microsoft join ONDC to launch a shopping app in India
- Microsoft becomes the first global Big Tech Company to join the Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC).
- ONDC is an Indian government initiative for developing a first-of-its-kind open network for digital commerce.
- Microsoft has intended to introduce social e-commerce via its app in the Indian market later this year.
- Initially, the network began its pilot in Delhi, Bengaluru, Coimbatore, Bhopal and Shillong.
- ONDC is sponsored by the DPITT.
National & International Appointments
12. Pramod Kumar appointed as CFO of Power Grid Corporation
- Board of Directors of the Powergrid Corporation of India Limited has approved the appointment of Pramod Kumar as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- Prior to this, he served as the Executive Director (Finance) of the company.
- He has an experience of 35 years in the Power Sector including Finance and Accounting functions i.e. finalisation of Corporate Accounts, formulation of Capital Budget etc.
- Power Grid HQ: Gurgaon; Chairman & MD: Kandikuppa Sreekant
Banking & Finance
13. PNB HFC increases its Unnati portfolio to offer affordable loans
- PNB Housing Finance has revamped its 'Unnati' loan portfolio to offer affordable housing loans of ₹9-12 lakh to target customers.
- PNB Housing has created a small vertical under Unnati which will be different from existing ₹18-19 lakh as affordable housing loans.
- In the June quarter, PNB HFC has already opened 10 more branches.
- PNB HFC:
- HQ: New Delhi
- MD & CEO: Hardayal Prasad
- It was incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956.