Daily Current Affairs
‘Matsya Setu’ for Fish Farmers
Why in the News?
- The Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying launched the Online Course Mobile App ‘Matsya Setu’.
- The ‘Matsya Setu’ app was developed by the ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture (ICAR-CIFA), Bhubaneswar, with the funding support of the National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB), Hyderabad.
- Matsya Setu app aims to disseminate the latest freshwater aquaculture technologies to the aqua farmers of the country.
- The app has species-wise/ subject-wise self-learning online course modules, where renowned aquaculture experts explain the basic concepts and practical demonstrations on breeding, seed production and grow-out culture of commercially important fishes like carp, catfish, scampi, murrel, ornamental fish, pearl farming etc.
Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY):
- On September 10, 2020, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the PMMSY at an estimated investment of Rs. 20,050 crores for five years, i.e., from 2020-21 to 2024-25.
- PMMSY aims to achieve fish production to 22 million metric tons by 2024-25 and create an additional employment opportunity for about 55 lakh people.
Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund (FIDF):
- FIDF, which was started in 2018-19, Rs.7,522.48 crores, will also cater to the creation of fisheries infrastructure facilities both in the marine and inland fisheries sectors.
- The Centrally Sponsored Scheme “Blue Revolution”, which was launched in December 2015, had made vital contributions towards the sector's development.
Kissan Credit Cards (KCC):
- The Government has also extended the facilities of KCC to fishers and fish farmers to help them meet their working capital needs.
- India is a leading fish producing country and the second major producer of fish through aquaculture.
- India contributes about 7.7% to global fish production, and the country ranks 4th in global exports of fish products.
- November 21, World Fisheries DayJuly 10, National Fish Farmers Day
Exports of GI certified Bhalia wheat from Gujarat
Why in the News?
- The first shipment of Geographical Indication (GI) certified Bhalia variety of wheat was exported to Kenya and Sri Lanka from Gujarat.
About GI certified Bhalia wheat:
- The GI certified wheat has high protein content and is sweet in taste.
- The crop is grown mostly across the Bhal region of Gujarat, which includes Ahmedabad, Anand, Kheda, Bhavanagar, Surendranagar, Bharuch districts.
- The Bhalia wheat received Geographical Indication (GI) certification in July 2011.
- The registered proprietor of GI certification is Anand Agricultural University, Gujarat.
Wheat exports from India:
- In 2020-21, the wheat exports from India witnessed a significant growth of 808 % to Rs 4034 crore from Rs 444 crore reported in the previous fiscal.
- India exported a substantial quantity of grain to seven new countries - Yemen, Indonesia, Bhutan, Philippines, Iran, Cambodia, and Myanmar during 2020-21.
Geographical Indication (GI) Certification:
- GI is a name or sign used on certain products which correspond to a specific geographical location or origin (e.g., a town, region, or country).
- The Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999, seeks to provide for the registration and better protection of geographical indications relating to goods in India.
- The Geographical Indications Registry is located in Chennai.
- It is also a part of the World Trade Organisation (WTO)’s Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights.
Note: Darjeeling tea became the first Geographical Indication (GI) tagged product in India in 2004–2005.
PM Narendra Modi Cabinet Reshuffle & Portfolio of New Ministers
- The Union Council of Ministers consists of Cabinet Ministers, Ministers of state and Ministers of State (Independent Charge).
- The Prime Minister of India leads the council.
- The Union Cabinet is the supreme decision-making body in India.
- Only the prime minister and ministers of the rank of cabinet minister are members of the Union Cabinet in accordance with Article 75.
List of Latest Cabinet Ministers and their portfolios:
Minister of Defence
Minister of External Affairs
Minister of Home Affairs
Minister of Finance
Minister of Road Transport and Highways
Minister of Commerce and Industry
Minister of Women and Child Development
Smriti Zubin Irani
Minister of Law and Justice
Minister of Tribal Affairs
Minister of Education
Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare
Narendra Singh Tomar
Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment
Minister of Health and Family Welfare
Mansukh L. Mandaviya
Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
Minister of Minority Affairs
Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises
Mahendra Nath Pandey
Minister of Parliamentary Affairs
Minister of Jal Shakti
Gajendra Singh Shekhawat
Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
Narayan Tatu Rane
Minister of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries
Minister of Railways
Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways
Minister of Rural Development
Minister of Civil Aviation
Minister of Steel
Ramchandra Prasad Singh
Minister of Food Processing Industries
Pashupati Kumar Paras
Minister of Power
Raj Kumar Singh
Minister of Culture
Minister of Tourism
Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas
Hardeep Singh Puri
Minister of Information and Broadcasting
- The government has issued a notification to bring the Department of Public Enterprises (which was the part of the Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises) under the finance ministry.
- The finance ministry now has 6 departments under it.
- The other 5 are the Department of Economic Affairs, Expenditure, Revenue, Investment and Public Asset Management, and Financial Services.
Khadi Prakritk Paint: Brand Ambassador
Why in the News?
- Minister for Road Transport and Highways & MSME Nitin Gadkari declared himself the “Brand Ambassador '' of Khadi Prakritk Paint.
- Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the new automated manufacturing unit of Khadi Prakritik Paint in Jaipur.
- The new plant has been set up on the campus of Kumarappa National Handmade Paper Institute, Jaipur, a Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
- Earlier Prakritik Paint was being manufactured manually on a prototype project.
About Khadi Prakritk Paint:
- Khadi Prakritk Paint is India's first and only paint made from cow dung.
- Nitin Gadkari launched it on 12th January 2021.
- To enable maximum people to benefit from this innovation, KVIC has included this project under the Prime Minister Employment Generation Program, a flagship scheme of the Central government for employment generation.
52nd International Film Festival of India (IFFI) in Goa
Why in the News?
- Minister of Information and Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar released the regulations and poster for the 52nd edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
- The festival will be held in Goa from 20th -28th November 2021.
About International Film Festival of India (IFFI):
- IFFI is reckoned as one of Asia's oldest and India's biggest international film festivals.
- The Directorate of Film Festivals is organizing the Festival, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, and the State Government of Goa and the Indian Film Industry.
- IFFI is recognized by the International Federation of Film Producers Associations. Note: The "Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Cinema" has been instituted from this year to be given at the International Film Festival of India every year starting from this year.
Former Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh passes away
- Congress leader and former Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh passed away at 87.
- Virbhadra Singh was the nine-time MLA, five-time Member of Parliament, and the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh for six terms.
- Before his death, he served as MLA from the Arki Assembly constituency in Solan District.
Source: The Hindu
More from us