Daily Current Affairs 19/07/2021
Digital Platform ‘Kisan Sarathi’
Why in News
- ‘Kisan Sarathi’, a digital platform, was launched jointly by the Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare with the Minister for Electronics and Information Technology.
- It was launched on the occasion of 93rd Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR) Foundation Day.
- Digital Platform Kisan Sarathi facilitates farmers to get ‘right information at right time’ in their desired language.
- This digital platform will empower farmers with the technological interventions to reach farmers in remote areas.
- It will help the farmers to interact and avail personalised advisories on agriculture and allied areas directly from the respective scientists of Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVKs).
- It will be highly valuable in Agricultural Extension, Education and Research activities of ICAR.
About Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR):
- ICAR is an autonomous organisation under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- It was established on 16 July 1929.
- The ICAR has its headquarters at New Delhi.
- It is the apex body for co-ordinating, guiding and managing research and education in agriculture including horticulture, fisheries and animal sciences.
Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK):
- Krishi Vigyan Kendra is an agricultural extension center in India.
- Usually associated with a local agricultural university, these centers serve as the ultimate link between the Indian Council of Agricultural Research and farmers, and aim to apply agricultural research in a practical, localized setting.
- As of May 2021, there were approximately 722 KVKs throughout India.
- The first Krishi Vigyan Kendra was established in 1974 in Pondicherry.
Other Related Initiatives:
- Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana
- National Agriculture Market (eNAM)
- Soil health card
Ministry of Electronics & IT enables map services in “UMANG App”
Why in News
- The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology has enabled map services in UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance)mobile app through a MoU with MapmyIndia.
- Citizens will be able to find government facilities nearest to their location, such as mandis, blood banks and much more, at the click of a button.
- They will also be able to see these on the most detailed and interactive street and village level maps of India, built by MapmyIndia.
- Citizens will also be able to view the driving distance, get directions and turn by turn voice and visual guidance to locations, including traffic and road safety alerts during navigation, through the linkage between UMANG App and MapmyIndia.
About UMANG mobile app (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance):
- The UMANG is a Government of India single, unified, secure, multi-channel, multi-platform, multi-lingual, multi-service mobile app, providing access to high impact services of various organizations (Central and State).
- Prime Minister Narendra Modihad launched the UMANG App in 2017.
Note: The international version of UMANG was launched in 2020. It will help Indian international students, NRIs and Indian tourists abroad, to avail Government of India services, anytime.
- MapmyIndia, is a product of an indigenous, company founded and headquartered in New Delhi, India, in 1995, which has digitally mapped the entire country.
- It helps users find relevant places nearby and see them on detailed building level maps.
School Innovation Ambassador Training Program
Why in News
- The Union Education Minister and Tribal Affairs Minister jointly launched the ‘School Innovation Ambassador Training Program’ (SIATP).
- The Ministry of Tribal Affairs has launched an Adi-Prashikshan portal which is also a repository of training inputs.
About Training Program:
- The innovative and one-of-its-kind training program for school teachers, it aims at training 50,000 School Teachers on Innovation, Entrepreneurship, IPR, Design Thinking, Product development, Idea generation, among others.
- The training will be delivered in online mode only.
- The program has been designed by the Innovation Cell of the Ministry of Education and AICTE for school Teachers based on its “Innovation Ambassador Training Program for Higher Educational Institution’s faculty members”.
- This training program is a collaborative effort by the Ministry of Education’s Innovation Cell, Ministry of Tribal Affairs, AICTE and CBSE.
- ‘SIATP’ will nurture lakhs of students with innovation capabilities, develop a culture of innovation and lay the foundation of a new and vibrant India.
- The students of Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRS) will greatly benefit from SIATP since it is also the endeavour of the Tribal Affairs Ministry to give the best possible education to the tribal children.
- EMRS for tribal children is another ambitious programme of the Prime Minister under which 740 EMRS will be established in tribal dominated areas over the next three years.
Other Important Related Initiatives:
- New Education Policy, 2020
- Digital Infrastructure for Knowledge Sharing (DIKSHA)
- Samagra Siksha
- National Initiative for School Heads’ and Teachers’ Holistic Advancement (NISHTHA)
- About All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE): It is a statutory body, and a national-level council for technical education, under the Department of Higher Education.
Founded: November 1945
Headquarters: New Delhi
Chairperson: Anil Sahasrabudhe
Tri Nation Table Top Naval Exercise 'Shield'
Why in News
- A Tri Nation Table Top Anti-Narcotics & Maritime Search and Rescue exercise (Exercise Shield) between Sri Lanka Navy, Maldives National Defence Force and Indian Navy was conducted at WNC, Mumbai in virtual mode for the first time on 14 and15 Jul 2021 with Indian Navy as the lead agency.
- The exercise was coordinated by Maritime Warfare Centre, Mumbai.
- Anti-Narcotic Operations and Maritime Search and Rescue are the important issues that were deliberated by the participants who share a unique geographic location, sitting astride the major shipping routes of the Indian Ocean Region.
- The exercise was focused at enhancing maritime security cooperation and mutual understanding, exchange of best practices/procedures for countering common trans-national maritime crimes such as narcotics smuggling, evolving modalities for exchanging information/intelligence and to assist each other in Maritime Search and Rescue.
- In April the Navy had recovered over 300 kg of narcotics from a fishing vessel in the Arabian Sea estimated to cost ₹3,000 crore in the international market.
- The Navy had then stated that it was a major catch in terms of disrupting smuggling routes, which emanate from the Makran coast and flow towards the Indian, Maldivian and Sri Lankan destinations.
Source: The Hindu
July 18, Nelson Mandela International Day
Why in News
- Nelson Mandela International Day is an annual international day in honour of Nelson Mandela, celebrated each year on 18 July, Mandela's birthday.
- The theme for 2021 is “One Hand Can Feed Another”.
- The United Nations (UN) officially declared July 18th as Nelson Mandela International day in 2009. It was first celebrated in 2010.
About Nelson Mandela:
- Nelson Mandela was the former president of South Africa.
- He is widely regarded as a leader of social justice and a staunch advocate for democracy.
- He received over 250 honours and was awarded the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.
July 17, World Day for International Justice
Why in News
- World Day for International Justice is an international day celebrated throughout the world on July 17 as part of an effort to recognize the emerging system of international criminal justice.
- The theme for 2021 is “A Call for Social Justice in the Digital Economy.”
- July 17 is the date of the adoption of the treaty that created the International Criminal Court.
- On 1 June 2010, at the Review Conference of the Rome Statute held in Kampala (Uganda), the Assembly of State Parties decided to celebrate 17 July as the Day of International Criminal Justice.
National Award-winning actor Surekha Sikri passes away
- Surekha Sikri worked in theatre, films and television.
- She received the National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress thrice, including Tamas (1988), Mammo (1995) and Badhaai Ho (2018).
- She won the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1989.
Source: Indian Express
More from us