Daily Current Affairs 08/10/2021
NITI Aayog launches ‘The State Nutrition Profiles’ Report
Why in News
- NITI Aayog, in a joint effort with International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Indian Institute of Population Sciences (IIPS), UNICEF and Institute of Economic Growth (IEG) launched ‘The State Nutrition Profiles’ report for 19 States and Union Territories.
Findings of the Report:
- The ‘State Nutrition Profiles’ (SNPs) give insights on nutrition outcomes, immediate and underlying determinants and interventions based on National Family Health Survey (NFHS)-rounds 3, 4 and 5.
- The reports highlight the best and worst performing districts, highest burden districts and top coverage districts of the country.
- The SNPs are based on the headcount-based analyses and use of data from NFHS-5 to provide evidence that helps identify priority districts and number of districts in the state with public health concern as per WHO guidelines.
About National Family Health Survey (NFHS):
- NFHS is a large-scale, multi-round survey conducted in a representative sample of households throughout India.
- First NFHS (1992-93)
- Second NFHS (1998-99)
- Third NFHS (2005-06)
- Fourth NFHS (2015-16)
- Fifth NFHS (2018-19)
‘The State of the World’s Children 2021’ report of UNICEF
Why in News
- Mansukh Mandaviya, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare released UNICEF’s global flagship publication – “The State of the World’s Children 2021; On My Mind: promoting, protecting and caring for children’s mental health”.
- The report details the significant impact of COVID-19 pandemic on children’s mental health.
Key Findings of the Report:
- The report has found that around 14 percent of 15 to 24-year-olds in India, or 1 in 7, reported often feeling depressed.
- An estimated 13 percent of adolescents aged 10–19 is estimated to live with a diagnosed mental disorder.
- Even before the pandemic, psychosocial distress and poor mental health afflicted far too many children.
- Suicide is the fourth leading cause of death among 15- to 19-year-olds. Every year, almost 46,000 children between the ages of 10 and 19 end their own lives.
‘Azadi@75 – New Urban India: Transforming Urban Landscape’ Conference-cum-Expo in Lucknow
Why in News
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated ‘Azadi@75 – New Urban India: Transforming Urban Landscape’ Conference-cum-Expo in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- The Prime Minister digitally handed over keys of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana - Urban (PMAY-U) houses to 75,000 beneficiaries in 75 districts of Uttar Pradesh.
- He inaugurated/laid the foundation stone of 75 Urban Development Projects of Uttar Pradesh under Smart Cities Mission and AMRUT.
- He flagged off 75 buses under FAME-II for seven cities including Lucknow, Kanpur, Varanasi, Prayagraj, Gorakhpur, Jhansi and Ghaziabad
- He released a Coffee Table Book encompassing 75 projects implemented under various Flagship Missions of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
About the Conference-cum-Expo
- The Conference-cum-Expo has been organised by the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) from 5th to 7th October 2021 as part of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
- It is themed on transforming urban landscape with specific focus on the transformative changes brought about in Uttar Pradesh.
India ranks 90th in Henley Passport Index 2021
- Henley Passport Index 2021 has revealed the list of the world’s most powerful passports and India has been ranked 90th on it.
- India’s passport got a visa-free score of 58, which means Indian passport holders can visit 58 countries without a prior visa.
- India shares the rank with Tajikistan and Burkina Faso.
1st rank- Japan, Singapore (visa-free score 192)
2nd rank- Germany, South Korea (190)
3rd rank- Finland, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain (189)
- Iraq and Afghanistan are the countries with the worst passports with visa-free score 28 and 26 respectively.
Note: India was ranked 85th in the January 2021’s index’, 84th in 2020 and 82nd in 2019.
Source: Indian Express
DRDO Dare to Dream 2.0 & Young Scientists awards
Why in News
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh felicitated the winners of ‘Dare to Dream 2.0’ Contest of Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO).
- He launched ‘Dare to Dream 3.0’ to promote innovators & startups and provide a platform for the young ignited minds in the country.
- He gave away DRDO Young Scientists awards for the year 2019.
- Dare to Dream is DRDO's pan-India contest to promote Indian academicians, individuals and startups to develop emerging defence and aerospace technologies/systems.
- Three products/systems indigenously developed by DRDO were also handed over to the Armed Forces. These are:
- ARINC818 Video Processing and Switching Module
- Sonar Performance Modelling System
- Bund Blasting Device Mk-II
Union Minister of Home Affairs Amit Shah flags-off an All India Car Rally of NSG, 'Sudarshan Bharat Parikrama'
Why in News
- Union Minister of Home Affairs and Minister of Cooperation Amit Shah flagged-off an All India Car Rally of National Security Guard (NSG) 'Sudarshan Bharat Parikrama', from the historic Red Fort in Delhi on the occasion of 'Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav' organized as part of celebrations of 75th anniversary of the country's Independence.
- He also flagged-in the All India Cycle Rallies of the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs).
- During its 7,500 kms long journey, the NSG’s car rally, which was flagged-off, will pass through important and historical places associated with the Freedom Movement and Freedom Fighters of the country and end on 30th October, 2021 at the Police Memorial in New Delhi.
- NSG’s car rally will pass through 18 cities in 12 states of the nation.
Alibaug white onion and Palghar’s famed Wada Kolam rice get GI tag
- The famed white onion of Alibag in Maharashtra's Raigad district was given the Geographical Indication (GI) tag, for its unique sweet taste, no-tears factor, as well as its medicinal properties.
- Wada Kolam, also known as Zini or Jhini rice, is a traditional variety grown in Wada in Palghar district of Maharashtra, with the grain being off white in colour.
- Recently, Kerala’s Kuttiattoor mango and Edayur chilli got GI tag.
- Chinnor rice produced in Balaghat district, Madhya Pradesh got GI tag.
Benjamin List, David MacMillan win Chemistry Nobel Prize 2021 for mirror-image molecules
- German-born Benjamin List and Scotland-born David MacMillan have been awarded jointly the 2021 Nobel Prize in Chemistry "for the development of asymmetric organocatalysis."
- Their chemical toolkit has been used for discovering new drugs and making molecules that can capture light in solar cells.
Yemeni humanitarian organization wins 2021 UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award
Why in News
- The organisation named Jeel Albena Association for Humanitarian Development, founded in 2017 by Ameen Jubran, won the 2021 UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award for its unwavering support for displaced Yemenis.
About UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award:
- The UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award honours individuals, groups or organizations to protect refugees, other displaced and stateless people.
- There have been over 60 global winners from different countries since the award was first established in 1954.
About United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR):
- UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, leads international action to protect people forced to flee their homes because of conflict and persecution
October 8, Indian Air Force Day
Why in News
- Indian Air Force Day is celebrated on October 8, every year in the country.
- Indian Air Force (IAF) was established in the country on October 8, 1932, by the British Empire.
- The first operational squadron came into being in April 1933.
- The Air Force in India was officially raised in 1932 as the supporting force of the Royal Air Force of the United Kingdom.
- IAF is ranked the fourth largest operational air force in the world. Only the US, China and Russia are ahead of India.
Facts about Indian Air Force:
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 8 October 1932
- Motto: Nabhaḥ Spr̥sam Diptam (Touch the Sky with Glory)
- Commander-in-Chief: President Ram Nath Kovind
- Chief of Defence Staff (CDS): General Bipin Rawat
- Chief of the Air Staff: Air Chief Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari
Source: India Today