Daily Current Affairs 10/09/2021
Why in News
- Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Bhupender Yadav launched the “PRANA” – Portal for Regulation of Air-pollution in Non-Attainment cities under the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) on the occasion of the International Day of Clean Air for Blue Skies (September 7).
- He also inaugurated the first functional smog tower in India at Anand Vihar, Delhi. The tower has been built by Tata Projects Limited with NBCC (India) Ltd. as the project management consultant.
- Earlier, India’s Tallest Air Purifier was inaugurated in Chandigarh and a Smog Tower was also installed in Delhi’s Connaught Place.
- “PRANA” (Portal for Regulation of Air-pollution in Non-Attainment cities) is a portal for monitoring the implementation of the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP).
- The portal will support tracking of physical as well as financial status of city air action plan implementation and disseminate information on air quality to the public.
- City-specific action plans for improving air quality for 132 Non- attainment cities/Million Plus Cities targeting city specific air polluting sources (Soil & Road Dust, Vehicles, Domestic Fuel, MSW Burning, Construction Material and Industries) have been prepared and are already being implemented.
Note: 86 cities showed better air quality in 2019 in comparison to 2018, which increased to 104 cities in 2020.
About National Clean Air Programme (NCAP):
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change and Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) are implementing the National Clean Air Programme in the country since 2019 with targets to achieve 20 to 30 % reduction in Particulate Matter (PM10 and PM2.5) concentrations by 2024 across the country.
- Air Quality Index
- New Commission for Air Quality Management
- Reducing Vehicular Pollution
Delegation of Financial Powers to Defence Services (DFPDS) 2021
Why in News
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh released an order on Delegation of Financial Powers to Defence Services (DFPDS) 2021, providing enhanced delegation of Revenue Procurement powers to the Armed Forces.
- DFPDS 2021 is another big step in the series of defence reforms to strengthen the security infrastructure of the country.
- It will overcome procedural delays, bring about greater decentralisation and operational efficiency.
- The enhanced delegation of Financial Powers to functionaries in Service Headquarters and lower formations would result in quicker decision making at all levels leading to better planning and operational preparedness of the Services in a quicker time frame and optimum utilisation of resources.
- The DFPDS 2021 consists of guidelines related to the following Schedules of Financial Powers:
Army Schedules of Powers-2021 (ASP-2021)
Navy Schedules of Powers-2021 (NSP-2021)
Air Force Schedules of Powers-2021 (AFSP- 2021)
IDS Schedules of Powers-2021 (ISP-2021)
- Delegated Financial Powers of Vice Chiefs of the Services have been increased by 10 percent, subject to an overall ceiling of Rs 500 crore.
Recent Reforms in Defence Sector:
- Defence Acquisition Procedure 2020
- Creation of Chief of Defence Staff
- Indigenisation of Defense Technology: Project 75, LCA Tejas, etc.
- Establishment of Department of Military Affairs
- Participation of Women in Armed Forces
C-295MW transport aircraft for Indian Air Force
Why in News
- Cabinet Committee on Security approved the procurement of 56 C-295MW transport aircraft for the Indian Air Force (IAF) under the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- It will be purchased from M/s Airbus Defence and Space S.A., Spain.
About C-295MW aircraft:
- It is a transport aircraft of 5-10 Tonne capacity with contemporary technology that will replace the ageing Avro aircraft of IAF.
- 16 aircraft will be delivered in flyaway condition from Spain within 48 months of signing of the contract and 40 aircraft will be manufactured in India by TATA Consortium within 10 years of signing of the contract.
- This is the first project of its kind in which a military aircraft will be manufactured in India by a private company.
- During the process of manufacturing in India, it is expected that all the suppliers of TATA Consortium who will be involved in special processes will gain and maintain globally recognized National Aerospace and Defence Contractors Accreditation Program (NADCAP)
Significance of the Deal:
- The project will give a boost to the aerospace ecosystem in India wherein several MSMEs spread over the country will be involved in manufacturing of parts of the aircraft.
- The programme will provide a major boost to the `Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan’ as it offers a unique opportunity for the Indian Private Sector.
- The programme will act as a catalyst in employment generation in the aerospace ecosystem of the country and is expected to generate 600 highly skilled jobs directly, over 3000 indirect jobs and an additional 3000 medium skill employment opportunities with more than 42.5 lakh man hours of work within the aerospace and defence sector of India.
Prime Minister releases a special commemorative coin on the occasion of the 125th Birth Anniversary of Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
Why in News
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a special commemorative coin on the occasion of the 125thBirth Anniversary of ISKCON founder Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.
- Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada founded the ISKCON (International Society for Krishna Consciousness) commonly known as the “Hare Krishna movement”.
- He also established over a hundred temples and wrote several books, teaching the path of Bhakti Yoga to the world.
- ISKCON has translated Shrimad Bhagvad Geeta and other Vedic literature in 89 languages, playing a stellar role in the dissemination of Vedic literature across the world.
Tamil Nadu to observe Periyar’s birth anniversary as Day of Social Justice
Why in News
- Tamil Nadu government has decided to celebrate the birth anniversary of social reformer V. Ramasamy Periyar as ‘Day of Social Justice’ on September 17 every year.
About E.V. Ramasamy Periyar:
- Erode Venkatappa Ramasamy commonly known as Periyar, was an Indian social activist and politician who started the Self-Respect Movement and Dravidar Kazhagam.
- He is known as the 'Father of the Dravidian movement.
- He promoted the principles of rationalism, self-respect, women’s rights and the eradication of caste.
Source: The Hindu
Uttarakhand Governor Baby Rani Maurya resigns
Why in News
- Uttarakhand Governor Baby Rani Maurya resigned, two years before completing her tenure.
- Baby Rani Maurya tendered her resignation to President Ram Nath Kovind.
- She was sworn in as the 7th governor of Uttarakhand on August 26, 2018.
- She has the distinction of being the first woman mayor of Agra from 1995 to 2000.
- She had also been a member of the National Commission for Women from 2002 to 2005.