Daily Current Affairs 21 June 2022
Important News: International
G20 health ministers meeting
Why in News:
- The inaugural session of the G20 Health Ministers' meeting organized in Yogyakarta, Indonesia by the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare and Chemicals and Fertilizers, Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya, was addressed through a virtual medium.
- Indonesia hosted two Health Working Group meetings in Yogyakarta and Lombok to discuss priority issues such as 'coordinating global health protocol standards' and 'building the resilience of the global health system'.
- G20 countries account for 80 percent of the world's GDP and 80 percent of global cross-border trade, so the engagement and leadership of the G20 are critical to strengthening the global health infrastructure and management of any future health emergency.
- G20 countries aim to strengthen the need for health ecosystem assessment, health financing, and their engagement, based on experience gained in managing pandemics.
Source: The Hindu
Important News: National
Renewable Global Status Report 2022
Why in News:
- Renewable Global Status Report 2022 (GSR 2022) for the 21st century has been released by the Renewable Energy Policy Network.
- According to the Renewables Global Status Report 2022, India ranks third in the year 2021 after China and Russia, while India ranks globally after China, the US, and Germany in terms of total installed wind power capacity. But in third place.
- According to the Renewables Global Status Report 2022, India has taken commendable steps in developing new solar photovoltaic capacity. This year India is the second-largest market for new solar photovoltaic capacity in Asia and the third in the world.
- The Renewable Global Status Report 2022, released this year, includes scientists, the Indian government, non-governmental organizations, and industry members, gathering data on renewable energy installations, markets, investments, and policies in countries around the world.
Source: Down to Earth
Why in discussion:
- Jyotirgamaya festival is organized by Sangeet Natak Akademi to celebrate and celebrate 75 years of India's Independence as part of Amrit Mahotsav of Independence and to showcase the talent of rare musical instruments from across the country on the occasion of World Music Day.
- The Jyotirgamaya festival is also attended by street performers, train entertainers, and temple artists.
- The festival has been conceived with an aim to sensitize people about the experience of playing rare musical instruments as well as the need to preserve the skills of making them and recognize those 'unknown' artists.
- This is a unique effort by the Sangeet Natak Akademi to once again bring the lost arts from India into the limelight and this unique initiative will continue even after the celebration of World Music Day.
- A live exhibition showcasing the making of musical instruments by the craftsmen will also be organized on each day of the festival.
Source: News on Air
Prime Minister Adi Adarsh Gram Yojana
Why in News:
- "Pradhan Mantri Adi Adarsh Gram Yojana" has been started by the government for the rapid development of tribal villages.
- The objective of Pradhan Mantri Adi Adarsh Gram Yojana is to implement various programs of 41 ministries in tribal villages to ensure their all-around development.
- The objective of Pradhan Mantri Adi Adarsh Gram Yojana is to focus on such remote and backward villages of the country which are lagging behind due to lack of attention.
- Efforts are also being made by the government to ensure geo-tagging and market linkage of tribal products through the recently launched TRIFED scheme for tribal villages, with the help of which rapid development of tribal villages will be ensured.
Source: All India Radio
Center for brain research
Why in News:
- The Brain Research Center was inaugurated by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and the foundation stone of Bagchi Parthasarathy Multispecialty Hospital at IISc Bengaluru was laid.
- The Center for Brain Research has been developed as a one-of-a-kind research facility with the aim of focusing on conducting critical research on providing evidence-based public health interventions to address age-related brain disorders.
- Bagchi Parthasarathy Multispecialty Hospital will be developed on the campus of IISc Bengaluru and aims to help integrate science, engineering, and medicine into this prestigious institution.
- The objective of the Center for Brain Research Hospital is to provide a comprehensive impetus to clinical research in the country as well as work towards finding innovative solutions that can help improve health services in the country.
Source: Indian Express
Important News: Economy
All India Consumer Price Index for Agricultural and Rural Laborers - May 2022
Why in News:
- All India Consumer Price Index for Agriculture and Rural Labor released for the month of May.
- The All-India Consumer Price Index for Agricultural and Rural Laborers is at 1119 and 1131 points respectively with an increase of 11 and 12 points for the month of May.
- The main contributor to this change in the index is the food group with a score of 7.44 and 7.65 points respectively, mainly due to an increase in prices of rice, wheat-atta, jowar, bajra, milk, meat-goat, fish fresh/dry, chilies dry, mixed spices, vegetables & fruits, etc.
- In the released index for agricultural workers, the state of Tamil Nadu tops with 1294 points while Himachal Pradesh is at the bottom with 883 points.
- In the released index for rural workers, Tamil Nadu state tops with 1281 points, while Himachal Pradesh is at the bottom with 934 points.
Important News: Awards
Prime Minister's Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Development and Promotion of Yoga - 2021
Why in news:
- The Prime Minister's Award-2021 has been announced for outstanding contribution to the development and promotion of Yoga.
- The award is one of the most prestigious honors in the field of Yoga, instituted by the Prime Minister of India on the occasion of the 2nd International Day of Yoga celebrations in Chandigarh on June 21, 2016.
- This year's award was presented to two individuals - Mr. Bhikkhu Sanghasena from Leh, Ladakh, and Mr. Marcus Vinicius Rojo Rodrigues from Sao Paulo, Brazil, and two organizations - The Divine Life Society, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, and British Wheel of Yoga, United Kingdom.
- Prime Minister's Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Development and Promotion of Yoga - 2021
- The award winners will be given a trophy, certificate, and a cash prize of Rs 25 lakh.
- This year the winners have been selected after considering the nominations received under four different categories, namely International Persons, International Organizations, National Persons, and National Organizations.
International yoga day
- International Yoga Day is celebrated every year on the 21st of June.
- The theme of this year's International Day of Yoga is "Yoga for Humanity".
- The idea of the International Day of Yoga was proposed by India during the inauguration of the 69th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in 2014, under which a resolution was passed by the United Nations in December 2014 and declared 21 June as an International Yoga Day.
- This year International Yoga Day is being celebrated in the year 'Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav', so Yoga Day celebrations have been organized at 75 major places in the country.
- Another highlight of International Day of Yoga is Guardian Ring, a relay yoga streaming program that simultaneously captures a digital feed of International Yoga Day events organized by Indian missions abroad.
- Yoga is an ancient physical, mental and spiritual practice that originated in India.
- The word 'yoga' is derived from Sanskrit and means a symbol of union of body and consciousness.