National & International Organizations
2. Saudi Aramco replaced Apple to become world's most valuable company
- Oil giant Saudi Aramco has dethroned Apple Inc. to become the world’s most valuable company, underscoring the recent surge in oil prices that have boosted the energy giant this year.
- The current worth of Aramco is about $2.43 trillion as compared with Apple's $2.37 trillion.
- Saudi Aramco has reported a 124% surge in net profit in the last year from $49.0 billion in 2020 to $110.0 billion in 2021.
- President and CEO of Saudi Aramco: Amin H. Nasser
3. Narayan Rane inaugurates Center of Excellence for Khadi in Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) in collaboration with Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has started the Centre of Excellence for Khadi (CoEK) at NIFT, Delhi campus.
- Aim: To make Khadi trendier by diversifying its fabrics and clothing line and upgrading the quality standards.
- Narayan Rane (Union Minister of MSME) also launched CoEK spokes in Gandhinagar, Shillong, Kolkata and Bengaluru virtually.
- Chairman KVIC: Vinai Kumar Saxena
National & International Appointments
4. Deepika Padukone becomes first Indian brand ambassador of Louis Vuitton
- Deepika Padukone has been appointed as Louis Vuitton's first-ever Indian brand ambassador.
- She was unveiled as part of a new handbag campaign with Emma Stone and Chinese actor Zhou Dongyu in a series of promotional shots.
- Recently, she has been named as a part of an eight-member jury presided by French actor Vincent Lindon at 75th Cannes Film Festival.
- She has also received the first Time 100 Impact Awards for creating awareness about mental health.
5. India bag three gold medals and one bronze in Asia Cup Archery
- The Indian team of women archers Parneet Kaur, Aditi Swami, and Sakshi Chaudhary has won India's first gold medal of the continental meet after defeating Kazakhstan in Iraq.
- The men's team of Prathamesh Fuge, Rishabh Yadav, and Jawkar Samadhan has won the second gold for India.
- The compound mixed duo of Prathmesh Fuge & Parneet Kaur won the third Gold Medal at Asia Archery Cup.
- Prathamesh Samadhan Jawkar has won the bronze medal in Asia Cup.
6. South Korea joins NATO cyber defence unit
- National Intelligence Service South Korea (spy agency) has become the first in Asia to join NATO’s Cyber Defense Group (CDG).
- The cyber defense group was founded in Tallinn in 2008 in response to a cyberattack that disrupted Estonia’s state networks.
- It focuses on cyber security research, training, and exercises.
- NATO’s Cooperative Cyber Defense Center of Excellence (CCDCOE) now includes 27 NATO member countries and five non-NATO partners.
- NATO HQ: Brussels, Belgium
7. Haryana launched Chaara-Bijaee Yojana for fodder growers
- JP Dalal (Haryana agriculture minister) has launched the 'Chaara-Bijaee Yojana' scheme to provide financial assistance of Rs 10,000 per acre to grow fodder framers.
- Farmers need to grow fodder on up to 10 acres of land around the gaushalas (cowsheds) and provide it to them through mutual consent.
- The amount will be credited to the bank accounts of farmers through direct benefit transfer (DBT) mode.
8. Indian Railways introduces foldable baby berths
- Indian Railways has added a 'baby berth' to their trains, an unusual setup allows women to travel by train while sleeping peacefully next to their children.
- On the occasion of Mother's Day, the Lucknow Division of Northern Railways experimented with a baby berth in coach No.194129/B4, berths 12 and 60.
- The infant seat is collapsible and has a safety stopper.
- Division of Northern Railways: Lucknow and Delhi collaborated on the infant berth.
9. International Nurses Day: May 12
- International Nurses Day is celebrated worldwide on May 12 to mark the contribution made by nurses to society, in health care set up and in a community.
- Theme 2022: 'Nurses: A Voice to Lead - Invest in Nursing and respect rights to secure global health'.
- The day marks the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale (the founder of modern nursing).
- Florence Nightingale (also known as Lady with the Lamp) took care of the wounded soldiers during the Crimean War.
10. India’s first EV charging station powered by food waste in Mumbai
- Aaditya Thackeray (Maharashtra Environment Minister) has inaugurated the nation's first organic waste-powered EV charging station at Keshavrao Khadye road near Haji Ali in Mumbai.
- The station will generate 220 units of electricity from food waste collected from its nearby areas.
- This station powers street lights and charge electric vehicles too.
- The project was done by the civic body in association AeroCare Clean Energy.
Banking & Finance
11. ICICI Bank joins hands with Santander for India-UK business ease
- ICICI Bank has partnered with Santander bank in Britain in a pact aimed at facilitating the banking requirements of corporates operating across both countries.
- The memorandum of understanding (MoU) between ICICI and Santander UK Plc is designed to establish a framework of the partnership between the banks to meet the financial service requirements of corporate customers operating within the India-UK corridor.
- ICICI Bank MD& CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi
Banking & Finance
12. Bharti AXA launches financial literacy campaign for mothers
- Bharti AXA Life Insurance has launched its financial literacy campaign ‘InspiHERs- enabling an empowered future’.
- It is a special initiative to spread financial awareness among women about financial decisions for a secured future.
- Bharti AXA Life Insurance is a joint venture between Bharti Enterprises and AXA.
- The joint venture company has a 51% stake in Bharti and a 49% stake in AXA.
- Bharti AXA Life Insurance MD & CEO: Parag Raja
13. Former president of Ukraine Leonid Kravchuk dies
- The first president of Independent Ukraine, Leonid Kravchuk (former communist) died at the age of 88.
- Kravchuk was known as the "wily fox" as he rose through the ranks of Ukraine's Communist Party and take over as head of the parliament in 1990.
- He signed the Belovezha accords with Russian President Boris Yeltsin and Belarusian leader Stanislav Shushkevich in December 1991 which effectively triggered the Soviet Union's collapse.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.
If you are aiming to crack CAT and other MBA Exam, join BYJU'S Exam Prep Online Classroom Program where you get :
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card