1. National Broadcasting Day: 23rd July
- National Broadcasting Day is observed every year on July 23 across the country
- On this day in 1927, Indian Broadcasting Company (IBC) started organising radio broadcasting from Bombay station.
- On 8th June 1936, Indian State Broadcasting Service became All India Radio (AIR).
- AIR is one of the largest broadcasting organisations in the world in terms of the number of languages of broadcast, the spectrum of socio-economic and cultural diversity it serves.
National & International Appointments
2. Pedro Castillo declared as President-elect of Peru
- Pedro Castillo (51 years) has been declared as the President-elect of Peru, after winning 2021 Presidential election of the country
- He will take oath as the President of Peru on 28 July.
- He secured 50.1% of the votes to win the 2021 election.
- He is a Peruvian school teacher, union leader and politician, who attained prominence as a leading figure in 2017 teacher strike and ran in the election as the candidate of the left-wing Free Peru party.
- Peru's Capital: Lima.
Arts & Culture
3. UNESCO’s ‘Historic Urban Landscape’ project for Gwalior, Orchha launched
- Gwalior and Orchha cities of Madhya Pradesh have been selected by UNESCO under ‘Historic Urban Landscape Project’
- This project was introduced in 2011 for the inclusive and well-planned development of fast-growing historical cities while preserving culture and heritage
- Development and management plan of these cities will be under UNESCO, Govt of India and Madhya Pradesh
- Six cities of South Asia, including Ajmer and Varanasi in India are already involved in this project.
4. Hockey India launches 'Heroes Connect' web platform
- Hockey India has launched its own player-oriented web-based engagement 'Heroes Connect'.
- It has been designed to encourage former and current Indian hockey players to initiate constructive discussions around the sport.
- All the former and current hockey players who have played for India can register their profiles (name, matches played, career duration, photographs, awards, memorable moment, etc) on the platform verified by the national federation.
Banking & Finance
5. SBI selects Paisalo Digital as National Corporate Business Correspondent
- SBI has selected Paisalo Digital as its National Corporate Business Correspondent to boost financial inclusion drive with the help of kiosk-based banking services.
- Under this, Paisalo Digital shall extend its services and its reach to the general public including its existing and new customers.
- Paisalo: Systemically Important Non-Deposit taking NBFC registered with RBI.
- It was incorporated in 1992 as a Private Company and converted in Public Ltd Company in 1995.
Books & Authors
6. Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra to release ‘The Stranger In The Mirror’
- Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra is coming up with his autobiography titled as ‘The Stranger In The Mirror’
- It is published by Rupa Publications and will hit the stands on July 27.
- It features first-person accounts of noted personalities from cinema and advertising world like A R Rahman, Bajpayee, Abhishek Bachchan, etc
- He is known for helming movies like Rang De Basanti, Delhi-6, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag and Toofan
- He has co-written the book with noted author Reeta Ramamurthy Gupta.
7. Union Cabinet approves PLI Scheme for Specialty Steel
- Union Cabinet has approved Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for specialty steel with budgetary outlay of ₹6322 crores
- Duration of the scheme: 5 years from 2023-24 to 2027-28
- It is expected to bring in investment of approximately ₹40,000 crores and capacity addition of 25 MT for speciality steel.
- It will give direct and indirect employment to 5,25,000 people.
- Export of specialty steel will become around 5.5 million tonnes, getting FOREX of Rs 33,000 crore.
8. World’s first 3D-printed stainless-steel bridge opens in Amsterdam
- World’s first 3D-printed stainless steel bridge has been inaugurated in Amsterdam, The Netherlands for pedestrians and cyclist over the Oudezijds Achterburgwal canal
- It is 12-metre long and is designed by Joris Laarman Lab and built by Dutch robotics company MX3D
- It is fabricated from stainless steel rods by 6-axis robotic arms equipped with welding gear
- It is fitted with a network of sensors that allows the bridge to monitor strain, movement, vibration and temperature
Banking & Finance
9. Indian Navy signs MoU with Kotak Mahindra Bank for salary accounts
- Indian Navy has signed MoU with Kotak Mahindra Bank for salary accounts of all its personnel (both serving and retired).
- Under the MoU, Kotak Mahindra Bank will offer special salary account benefits to the Indian Navy like enhanced complimentary personal accident insurance, special education benefit, additional girl child benefit, zero processing fees on personal loans, home loans and car loans.
- MD & CEO of Kotak Mahindra: Uday Kotak.
Banking & Finance
10. RBI plans digital currency on a pilot basis soon
- RBI is planning to introduce digital monetary asset in a phase-wise implementation strategy
- The move indicates moving towards bringing in Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC).
- CBDC is being introduced in lieu of other private digital assets like cryptocurrency.
- CBDC is essentially a legal tender issued by the central bank and has the same functional capabilities as a fiat currency and is considered exchangeable in nature with said fiat currency in a one-to-one form.
11. APEDA collaborates with Ladakh officials for agricultural produce
- APEDA has collaborated with officials of horticulture, agriculture, commerce and industry departments of Ladakh and Defence Institute of High-Altitude Research (DIHAR) to frame a comprehensive plan for giving boost to exports of agricultural produce from Ladakh
- The plan will enhance farmers’ as well as entrepreneurs’ income by enhancing production of fruits with medicinal values and introduction of the traceability system.
12. Aman Gulia and Sagar Jaglan emerged as India’s new World Cadet champions
- Young wrestlers Aman Gulia and Sagar Jaglan emerged as the new world champions in their respective categories as India dished out an impressive show on the Cadet World Championship.
- Aman Gulia defeated America's Luke Joseph Lilledahl in 48kg by 5-2 and Sagar Jaglan defeated James Mockler Rowley by 4-0 in 80kg
- Apart from them, Tannu and Priya became Cadet World Championship in women’s category defeating Valeryia Mikitsich and Kseniya Patapovich respectively