National & International Appointments
1. Kambhampati Hari Babu sworn in as new Governor of Mizoram
- Kambhampati Hari Babu has been sworn in as the 22nd Governor of Mizoram at Raj Bhavan in Aizawl
- He has been administered the oath of office by Gawahati High Court Judge, Justice Michael Zothankhuma
- He succeeded P.S Sreedharan Pillai, who was appointed as the Governor of Goa
- Gawahati High Court has jurisdiction over the states of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, and Mizoram.
- Mizoram capital: Aizawl.
- Chief Minister of Mizoram: Zoramthanga
Books & Authors
2. Former RBI Governor Bimal Jalan pen’s book titled ‘The India Story’
- Former RBI governor Bimal Jalan has come up with a book titled as ‘The India Story’, which will be released on 21st July, 2021
- The book focuses on India’s economic history and aims to provide lessons for the future of India’s political economy.
- The India Story is published by Rupa Publications India.
- He has previously written three books namely ‘India Then and Now’ (2020), ‘India Ahead’ (2018) and ‘Politics Trumps Economics’ (2012).
3. Common High Court of UT of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh renamed
- 'Common High Court of UT of Jammu and Kashmir and UT of Ladakh' has been renamed as 'High Court of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh'.
- The renaming has came to effect after President Ram Nath Kovind signed the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganization (Removal of Difficulties) Order, 2021, to effect the change.
- The name has been changed as the present nomenclature is found to be rather long-winding and cumbersome.
- CJ of Ladakh and J&K HC: Pankaj Mithal.
4. Google Cloud announces second ‘Cloud Region’ in India
- Google Cloud has launched its new cloud region in Delhi-National Capital Region to serve its customers in India and Asia-Pacific.
- This is the second Google Cloud region in India after Mumbai and the 10th in Asia-Pacific for capacity building, disaster recovery solutions and low latency.
- Apart from Delhi-NCR region, there are existing 25 Google Cloud regions across the Americas, Europe and Asia-Pacific connected via Google’s network.
Honours & Awards
5. Government launches National Logistics Excellence Awards
- Government has launched National Logistics Excellence Awards to turn the spotlight on the logistics sector
- The awards are in two categories: logistics infrastructure/service providers and user industries.
- This award will highlight best practices including consolidation, process standardisation, technological upgrade, digital transformations, and sustainable practices.
- Indian logistics sector has been growing at a CAGR of 10.5%, with USD 215 billion in value in 2020.
6. Govt to set up ‘Indian Institute of Heritage’ at Noida
- Govt has decided to set up ‘Indian Institute of Heritage’ at Noida, Gautam Buddha Nagar
- It is being set up as Deemed to be University by integrating Institute of Archaeology, School of Archival Studies under National Archives of India, Delhi, National Research Laboratory for Conservation of Cultural Property, Lucknow, National Museum Institute of History of Art, Conservation and Museology and Academic Wing of Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA), Delhi.
Honours & Awards
7. Two Indian organisations win UNDP Equator Prize 2021
- Aadhimalai Pazhangudiyinar Producer (APP) Company and Snehakunja Trust are the two Indian organization, who won the prestigious United Nations Development Fund (UNDP) Equator Prize for their work in the field of conservation and biodiversity
- They are among the 10 awardees
- UNDP gives biennial award to recognize community efforts to reduce poverty through the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity.
8. International Chess Day: 20th July
- International Chess Day is observed annually on July 20 to mark the foundation of International Chess Federation (FIDE) that was founded in 1924
- The day celebrate one of the most ancient and most popular games in history that promotes fairness, equality, mutual respect and understanding among nations.
- It was first observed in 1966, as proposed by UNESCO.
- FIDE’s Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland.
9. Science Exploration Day: 20 July
- Science Exploration Day (Moon Day) is observed every year on 20 July.
- In 1969, on this day Neil Armstrong and Edwin ‘Buzz’ Aldrin became the first humans to land on the Moon’s surface.
- The duo spent 21.5 hours on the surface of the moon out of which they spent 2.5 hours outside of their capsules.
- Neil Armstrong was the first man to set foot on the moon’s surface.
- The day was first observed in 1984 by then US President, Ronald Reagan
Honours & Awards
10. Nobel Laureate Muhammad Yunus receives Olympic Laurel
- Bangladeshi Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus has been chosen to receive Olympic Laurel at Tokyo Games 2021
- He will be awarded the prize for his extensive work in sport for development, including founding the Yunus Sports Hub.
- Olympic Laurel award was created in 2016 to recognise endeavours in culture, education, peace and development through sport
- It was given for the first time at the 2016 Rio Games to Kenyan former Olympian Kip Keino.
Banking & Finance
11. India emerges as 5th largest foreign exchange reserves holder in world
- India has emerged as the World’s 5th-largest foreign exchange reserves holder after China, Japan, Switzerland and Russia.
- India’s forex reserves stood at around 609 billion Dollars on 25th June, 2021 and is comfortable in terms of import cover of more than 18 months and provides cushion against unforeseen external shocks.
- In 2020-21, India’s balance of payments recorded surplus in both current account and capital account.
Banking & Finance
12. Bad Bank launched for stressed assets as a measure to clean up bank books
- Govt has launched Bad Bank with all the regulatory approvals in place for stressed assets as a measure to clean up bank books
- It was announced by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in her Budget Speech 2021-22
- RBI is the regulator of Asset Reconstruction Companies (ARCs)
- RBI has already prescribed a regulatory framework for the functioning of ARCs and there are well-laid norms for transfer of stressed assets by banks and non-banking finance companies to ARCs.
Science & Technology
13. IIT Madras develops AI-based algorithm to help identify cancer cell
- IIT Madras has developed an Artificial Intelligence-based mathematical model to identify cancer-causing alterations in cells
- It will help to pinpoint genetic alterations responsible for cancer progression, which is difficult using present methodologies.
- It will make use of a relatively unexplored technique of leveraging DNA composition.
- It will help in identifying the most appropriate treatment strategy for a patient through precision oncology and tailoring treatments