National & International Appointments
1. C.S. Venkatakrishnan appointed as CEO of Barclays
- CS Venkatakrishnan has been appointed as the CEO of Barclays with immediate effect.
- CS Venkatakrishnan was head of global markets, co-president of Barclays Bank PLC, and a member of the Group Executive Committee of Barclays, based in New York.
- Prior to his appointment as head of global markets and co-president of BBPLC, Venkat served as chief risk officer at Barclays.
- Venkat holds S.B., S.M. and Ph.D. degrees from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
2. UK unveils commemorative coin celebrating Mahatma Gandhi
- United Kingdom's government has unveiled a £5 coin to commemorate the life and legacy of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The coin is available in a range of standards, including gold and silver
- The special collectors' coin was designed by Heena Glover.
- The coin features an image of a lotus, India's national flower, alongside one of Gandhi's most famous quotes - 'My life is my message'.
- It is the first time Mahatma Gandhi has been commemorated on an official UK coin.
3. UNEP calls for sustainable cooling in cities to limit carbon emission
- UN Environment Programme (UNEP) has published a report titled 'Beating the Heat: A Sustainable Cooling Handbook for Cities'.
- The UNEP in the report says the world’s rapidly growing urban centers should adopt cooling technologies that are cleaner in order to limit greenhouse gas emissions and strengthen the resilience of communities.
- According to the report investing in air condition systems that are less carbon-intensive is key to greening the urban environment.
4. IAF, DRDO Conduct Successful Flight Tests of Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon
- DRDO and Indian Air Force have carried out two successful flight tests of indigenously-developed Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon (SAAW).
- An electro-optical seeker based flight test of this class of bomb was conducted for the first time in India.
- Meant to disable airfield runways, SAAW is capable of hitting ground targets up to a range of 100 kilometres.
- It can carry a warhead of 125 kilograms.
- The weapon was launched from IAF aircraft at Chandan ranges in Jaisalmer.
5. IMF welcomes India’s vision on renewables, net zero target
- IMF has welcomed India's announcement with regard to addressing the climate change challenges at the recently concluded COP26 summit in Glasgow.
- India announced a new targets to increase reliance on renewables and reduce the carbon intensity of its economy, including to adopt a net zero target by 2070.
- Investment in RE and climate change adaptation policies suggest it is well positioned to take further steps to reach this new target.
- MD of IMF: Kristalina Georgieva
6. Country's first rooftop drive-in theatre to open in Mumbai
- India's first open-air theatre was opened in Mumbai and it showcased the film Sooryavanshi featuring Akshay Kumar, Ajay Devgn, and Katrina Kaif.
- Reliance announced the launch of its first rooftop theatre, which will be known as 'Jio Drive-In'.
- The open-air rooftop theatre will be operated and managed by PVR ltd.
- Situated in Jio World Drive, the recently launched retail precinct spread across 17.5 acres in Mumbai's commercial hub Bandra Kurla Complex.
7. PM Modi unveils Adi Shankaracharya statue in Kedarnath
- PM Modi visited the Kedarnath Dham and offered prayers at the Lord Shiva temple.
- He also inaugurated a reconstructed samadhi of Adi Guru Shankaracharya that was damaged during the devastating 2013 floods.
- Adi Shankaracharya, an 8th-century seer, had attained Moksha at Kedarnath.
- The unveiling of the statue was streamed live at all 12 jyotirlingas, four Shankaracharya mutts (monasteries).
- His birthplace and several prominent temples across India.
Banking & Finance
8. India's foreign exchange reserves increase $1.9 bn to $642 bn: RBI
- As per RBI data India's forex reserves have increased by USD 1.919 billion to USD 642.019 billionn for the week ended October 29.
- Foreign Currency Assets increased by 1.363 billion to USD 578.462 billion for the reporting week.
- Value of the gold reserves increased by USD 572 million to USD 39.012 billion.
- SDRs with the IMF rose by USD 17 million to USD 19.304 billion.
- The forex reserves includes gold, SDRs and foreign currency assets.
9. Amazon, Apple, Mahindra join coalition to drive zero-carbon tech demand
- Global giants like Amazon and Apple as well as Mahindra Group and Dalmia Cement (Bharat) from India have joined as founding members of the 'First Movers Coalition' to work towards driving demand for zero-carbon technologies.
- The Coalition has been launched at the COP26 Summit being held in Glasgow.
- To jump-start this effort, the WEF, in partnership with US Special Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry, has announced the First Movers Coalition.
Banking & Finance
10. Indian Oil Corp to set up 10,000 electric vehicle charging stations
- Indian Oil Corp will set up 10,000 electric vehicle charging stations across the country in three years.
- This step will boost the EV ecosystem in the country.
- PM Modi announced India’s pledge to achieve net-zero emissions by 2070, as part of the global drive to fight climate change during COP26 summit in Glasgow.
- Indian Oil will soon unveil its net-zero emission target.
- Global oil majors BP and Shell have pledged to reach net-zero emission by 2050.
11. QS Asia University Rankings 2022 announced
- Quacquarelli Symonds, global higher education think-tank has released the QS Asia University Rankings 2022.
- National University of Singapore has come up as Asia’s best university for the 4th consecutive year.
- China’s Peking University at 2nd position and Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, and the University of Hong Kong in Hong Kong at 3rd.
- The top three Indian universities to feature on the Asia Rankings are IIT Bombay (42), IIT Delhi (45), and IIT Madras (54).