Honours & Awards
1. Abhinandan Varthaman conferred Vir Chakra by President
- Group Captain Abhinandan Varthaman has been awarded Vir Chakra by President Ram Nath Kovind at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi
- He shot down Pakistani F-16 jet during a dogfight over the Line of Control (LoC) in 2019
- Vir Chakra: India’s third highest wartime gallantry award after Param Vir Chakra and Maha Vir Chakra.
- Abhinandan is IAF’s first Vir Chakra awardee after 1999 Kargil war when Ajay Ahuja and Wing Commander AK Sinha were awarded the wartime gallantry medal.
Honours & Awards
2. Andhra Pradesh bags Best Marine State Award
- Department of Fisheries has awarded best performing States for 2021-22 on ‘World Fisheries Day’ to recognize their accomplishments in the field and their contribution into the growth of the sector.
- Best marine state: Andhra Pradesh
- Best Inland states: Telangana
- Best Hilly and NE marine states: Tripura
- Best Marine District: Balasore in Odisha
- Best Inland District: Balaghat in Madhya Pradesh.
- Best Hilly and NE District: Bongaigaon in Assam.
Summits & Conferences
3. CII to organize 20th edition of ‘Connect 2021’ in Chennai
- Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) will organize its flagship event titled ‘Connect 2021’ in Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- It will be held from 26th to 27th November
- Theme: Building a Sustainable Deep T’ech’N’ology Ecosystem
- Connect: It is an international conference and exhibition on information & communication technology (ICT)
- Partner countries: Australia and UK
- It is hosted by Govt of Tamil Nadu and co-hosted by Software Technology Parks of India and MeitY.
4. El Salvador plans to build world’s first ‘Bitcoin City’
- El Salvador President Nayib Bukele has announced to build the world’s first Bitcoin City in the country
- This new city is planned to be developed in the eastern region of La Union and will be initially funded by bitcoin-backed bonds.
- It would get geothermal power from a volcano.
- Bitcoin City will not levy any taxes except for value added tax (VAT).
- One half of this VAT levied will be used to fund the bonds issued to build the city.
Science & Technology
5. Jitendra Singh inaugurates ISRO's five-day Technology Conclave-21
- Union Minister Jitendra Singh has inaugurated ISRO's five-day Technology Conclave-2021, highlighting the Futuristic and Disruptive Technologies to be developed by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- It is being organized by Directorate of Technology Development and Innovation (DTDI) under the aegis of ISRO.
- Development of Satellite-Based Quantum Communication will enable unconditional data security to the country’s communication network.
6. Bhupender Yadav initiates first ever All India Domestic Workers Survey
- Labour and Employment Minister Bhupender Yadav has flagged off the first ever All India Domestic Workers Survey.
- It will cover 742 districts in 37 States and Union territories.
- Objective: To estimate the number and proportion of domestic workers at the national and state level and find out household estimates of live-in and live-out domestic workers.
- It will also estimate the average number of domestic workers engaged by different types of households.
7. Venezuelan musicians set world's largest orchestra record
- Venezuela has set new Guinness World Record for the largest orchestra with 8,573 musicians playing together for more than five minutes.
- This record was set by National System of Youth and Children’s Orchestras of India, known as ‘El Sistema’.
- Prior to this, such record for an orchestra was made by Russia when 8,097 musicians played together in St. Petersburg.
- Venezuela is a country on the northern coast of South America
- Capital of Venezuela: Caracas.
Banking & Finance
8. SBI Ecowrap report projects India’s GDP for FY22 between 9.3%-9.6%
- State Bank of India (SBI) economists in its research report ‘Ecowrap’ has revised upwards the GDP growth projection for India to range from 9.3% to 9.6% for FY22 (2021-22).
- Earlier, this was estimated in the range of 8.5% to 9%.
- Reason for the upward revision is decline in the number of COVID cases.
- Average GDP growth of 28 selected economies has decelerated to 4.5% in Q3 (2021) as against 12.1%.
Banking & Finance
9. EPFO gets approval to park 5% of annual deposits in InvITs
- Central Board of Trustees (CBT) of Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) have approved that up to 5% of the annual deposits can be invested in alternative investment funds (AIFs) including infrastructure investment trusts (InvITs).
- This investment will offer diversification to EPFO’s investment basket.
- Finance Investment and Audit Committee (FIAC) have been tasked to decide upon investment options, on case-to-case basis.
- AIFs are regulated by SEBI.
Summits & Conferences
10. Fifth East Asia Summit Conference on Maritime Security Cooperation
- The fifth East Asia Summit (EAS) Conference on Maritime Security Cooperation will be held from 23rd and 24th November in Kolkata.
- The event is being organized by India in partnership with Australia.
- Apart from two governments, organizers include ASEAN-India Centre at Research and Information System for Developing Countries in collaboration with National Maritime Foundation of Australia and Research Centre for East and Northeast Regional Studies, Kolkata.
11. Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurates Aayakar Bhawan-cum-Residential Complex
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has inaugurated new Aayakar Bhawan-cum- Residential Complex 'The Chinars' at Rajbagh in Srinagar.
- Income Tax Building had got damaged in a terrorist attack in 2005
- Establishment of new office complex and attached 'Aayakar Seva Kendra' will go a long way in providing better service to tax prayers in the spirit of Jan Bhagidari.
- Number of developmental works shall be carried out for the overall benefit of the people
Honours & Awards
12. AIR, Doordarshan win awards at ABU-UNESCO Peace Media Awards 2021
- Doordarshan and radio show by All India Radio has received multiple awards at ABU - UNESCO Peace Media Awards-2021 at Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia.
- ‘Ethical and Sustainable Relationship with Nature’ award: AlR’s ‘Living on the edge - The coastal lives’
- Living Well with Super Diversity category: Doordarshan’s programme 'DEAFinitely Leading the Way
- The awards were given by UNESCO in collaboration with Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union under ‘Together for Peace’ initiative.
13. Jitendra Singh launches India’s first Virtual Science Lab for Children
- Science and Technology Minister, Jitendra Singh has launched India’s first Virtual Science Lab for Children under CSIR Jigyasa Programme
- It will also connect students with scientists across the country.
- Main aim of Virtual Lab: To provide quality research exposure and innovative pedagogy for school students based on an online interactive medium.
- New facility will immensely benefit students from Kendriya Vidyalayas, Navodaya Vidyalayas and Government Schools
14. V Prez flags off ‘Visakhapatnam-Kirandul Passenger Train’
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu has flagged off ‘Visakhapatnam-Kirandul Passenger Train’ and additional Vistadome coaches.
- 360-degree viewing system of the Vistadome coaches will make the journey an unforgettable experience for the passengers as it passes through a scenic, mountainous terrain of Eastern Ghats through many curves, tunnels and bridges