National & International Appointments
1. VVS Laxman named as new head of National Cricket Academy (NCA)
- Former Indian international cricketer VVS Laxman (47 years) has been named as the next head of the National Cricket Academy (NCA) by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
- He will assume the office as NCA’s head on 4th December 2021.
- He will replace Rahul Dravid, who has been appointed as Team India’s national men’s head coach
- It was the brainchild of cricket administrator and former BCCI President Raj Singh Dungarpur
- HQs: Bengaluru
- Established: 2000
Summits & Conferences
2. VP Venkaiah Naidu inaugurates Bengaluru Tech Summit
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated three days annual flagship Bengaluru Tech Summit (BTS) 2021.
- Organized by: Department of Electronics, IT, Bt and S&T, Government of Karnataka and Co-Hosted by STPI
- It will be held from 17th to 19th November 2021.
- Central theme of BTS 2021: Driving the Next.
- It is the 24th edition of BTS which is being conducted in a hybrid format and will see participation from 30 countries.
3. PM Modi inaugurates Purvanchal Expressway in Uttar Pradesh
- PM Narendra Modi has inaugurated Purvanchal Expressway at KarwalKheri in Sultanpur district of Uttar Pradesh
- This 341 km long Purvanchal Express and will connect Lucknow with Ghazipur.
- It has been constructed at an estimated cost of Rs 22,500 crore.
- Expressway starts from village Chaudsarai, located on Lucknow-Sultanpur road (NH-731) and ends at village Hydaria located on National Highway No. 31.
- A 3.2-km long airstrip has also been constructed on the expressway
4. ‘Kaiser-i-Hind’ declared as Arunachal Pradesh’s State Butterfly
- Arunachal Pradesh CM Pema Khandu has approved declaration of Kaiser-i-Hind butterfly as the State butterfly of Arunachal
- Scientific name of Kaiser-i-Hind butterfly is Teinopalpus imperialis.
- It literally means Emperor of India.
- This species of butterfly has a 90-120 mm wingspan.
- They are found in 6 Indian States along the Eastern Himalayas at elevations from 6,000-10,000 feet in well-wooded terrain: Arunachal Pradesh, West Bengal, Meghalaya, Assam, Sikkim and Manipur.
Banking & Finance
5. RBI introduces Internal Ombudsman mechanism for select NBFCs
- RBI has introduced Internal Ombudsman mechanism for two types of Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs):
- Deposit-taking NBFCs (NBFCs-D) with 10 or more branches and
- Non-Deposit taking NBFCs (NBFCs-ND) with asset size of Rs.5,000 crore and above having public customer interface
- These two NBFCs will have to appoint Internal Ombudsman (IO), who will be responsible for handling the public grievance at the entity level before the grievance is escalated to Ombudsman
Banking & Finance
6. Total corpus of Payments Infrastructure Development Fund reaches 614 crore
- Total corpus of RBI’s Payments Infrastructure Development Fund (PIDF) has reached Rs 614 crore.
- PIDF scheme was launched by RBI in January 2021 to subsidize deployment of payment acceptance infrastructure (PoS) in Tier-3 to Tier-6 centres with a special focus on Indian North-Eastern States.
- RBI will make an initial contribution of Rs. 250 crores to the PIDF covering half the fund and the remaining contribution will be from card-issuing banks and card networks
Banking & Finance
7. HDFC Bank launches 2nd edition of ‘Mooh Band Rakho’ campaign
- HDFC Bank has launched second edition of its ‘Mooh Band Rakho’ campaign to raise awareness on fraud prevention in support of International Fraud Awareness Week 2021 (14th to 20th November 2021)
- Aim: To increase awareness of its customers on all types of frauds and the importance of keeping your mouth shut to ensure their prevention, not to share confidential banking information
- HDFC Bank will organize 2,000 workshops in the next four months under this campaign
Honours & Awards
8. M. Mukundan’s ‘Delhi: A soliloquy’ wins 2021 JCB Prize for Literature
- Novel titled as ‘Delhi: A Soliloquy’ written by Malayalam writer M Mukundan has won 2021 JCB Prize for literature
- This book was originally written in Malayalam and has been translated into English by Fathima E.V. and Nandakumar
- JCB Prize for Literature:
- It was established in 2018.
- It is the most expensive Indian award for writing.
- It carries a cash prize of Rs 25 lakh for author and Rs 10 lakh for translator.
9. Eminent Hindi writer Mannu Bhandari passes away
- Renowned Hindi author Mannu Bhandari (90 years) passed away after hospitalisation at Gurugram hospital
- She was best known for her novels ‘Aapka Bunty’ and ‘Mahabhoj’.
- 1974 Hindi feature film ‘Rajnigandha’ was an adaptation from her novel ‘Yahi Sach Hai’.
- Other works: Ek Plate Sailab (1962), Teen Nigahen Ek Tasveer (1969), and Trishanku (1999).
10. World Famous Legendary Author Wilbur Smith passes away
- Internationally acclaimed Zambia-born South African author Wilbur Smith (88 years) passed away.
- She was the global bestselling author and has authored 49 novels and sold over 140 million copies worldwide in more than 30 languages.
- He rose to fame in 1964 with his debut novel named ‘When the Lion Feeds’ which turned in movie with 15 sequels.
- She published his autobiography named ‘On Leopard Rock’ in 2018.
11. National Epilepsy Day: 17th November
- National Epilepsy Day is observed every year on 17th November in India to create awareness about epilepsy
- The day was founded by Epilepsy Foundation.
- Epilepsy: It is a chronic disorder of brain characterized by recurrent ‘seizures’ or ‘fits’ and is caused due to a variety of factors such as brain infections, strokes and brain tumours, brain damage.
- Month of November is observed as ‘National Epilepsy Awareness Month’.
Banking & Finance
12. Kotak Mahindra Bank, PVR Cinemas launch co-branded movie debit card
- Kotak Mahindra Bank and PVR Cinemas has launched co-branded movie debit card
- Kotak PVR debit cardholders will get automatically enrolled to the PVR Privilege Plus programme
- With this, cardholders will receive joining vouchers and earn points on every transaction on the debit card at PVR and outside PVR as well, with no upper limit on the points earned
- Points earned can be redeemed all year round on PVR movie tickets and on food and beverages at PVR.
13. Centre approves new Rajya Sainik Board for Ladakh
- Centre has approved new Rajya Sainik Board for Ladakh, that will be an effective link between the Centre and Ladakh Administration
- It will play an advisory role on the matters of ex-servicemen, war widows, widows and non-combatants, including serving soldiers and their dependents.
- Zila sainik welfare offices of Leh and Kargil will function under newly constituted Rajya Sainik Board
- It provide access to the welfare schemes under Raksha Mantri Ex-servicemen Welfare Fund