1. Bharath Subramaniyam becomes India’s 73rd Chess Grandmaster
- Fourteen-year-old Bharath Subramaniyam has become the 73rd Grandmaster of India.
- The Chennai-based teenager completed his final GM Norm and crossed the requisite 2500 rating at Vergani Cup Open in Italy.
- Subramaniyam finished seventh overall in the event held at Cattolica by scoring 6.5 points from nine rounds.
- To achieve the Grandmaster (GM) title, a player has to secure three GM norms and cross the live rating of 2,500 Elo points.
2. First-ever Startup India Innovation Week to be held from today
- DPIIT is organizing the first-ever Startup India Innovation Week from 10th to 16th January 2022.
- This virtual week-long innovation celebration aims to commemorate the 75th year of India’s independence ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
- This is designed to showcase the spread and depth of entrepreneurship across India.
- India is emerging as a global innovation hub, boasting the world’s third-largest startup ecosystem.
- DPIIT has recognised more than 61 thousand startups as on date.
3. PM Modi to inaugurate 25th National Youth Festival on Jan 12
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be addressing and inaugurating the five-day National Youth Festival on Jan 12, 2022
- National Youth Festival will be held to celebrate the 159th birth anniversary of spiritual leader Swami Vivekananda.
- The five-day festival will be held in the Union Territory of Puducherry.
- The festival aims to ignite, unit, motivate and activate the youth of India towards nation building.
- CM of Puducherry: N. Rangaswamy
4. Rafael Nadal wins Melbourne Summer Set 1 ATP 250 tennis title
- 20-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal won the Men’s Singles title in the Melbourne Summer Set ATP 250 event.
- He defeated Maxime Cressy of US in final.
- It was Nadal’s 89th tour-level crown.
- Nadal playing his first competitive tournament since Aug, was largely untroubled as he wrapped up the win in an hour 48 minutes.
- In women category, former world number one Simona Halep defeated Veronika Kudermetova at the Melbourne Summer Set 1 final to claim her 23rd career title.
5. India's first indigenous aircraft carrier begins another phase of sea trial
- India's 1st indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC) Vikrant began another set of sea trials.
- It is planned to be inducted in Aug 22.
- The 40,000-tonne aircraft carrier is the largest and most complex warship to be built in India
- It successfully completed a five-day maiden sea voyage in Aug and underwent 10-day sea trials in Oct 2021.
- IAC-1 will operate the MiG-29K, Kamov-31 helicopters; Advanced Light Helicopters and the soon-to-be-inducted MH-60R multirole helicopters.
6. December 26 to be observed as Veer Baal Diwas
- Center has announced that Dec 26 will be observed as 'Veer Baal Diwas' as a tribute to guru Gobind Singh's four sons who were executed by the Mughals.
- This was announced by PM Modi on the occasion of the 365th birth anniversary of the 10th Sikh guru.
- Veer Baal Diwas will be on the same day Sahibzada Zorawar Singh Ji and Sahibzada Fateh Singh Ji attained martyrdom after being sealed alive in a wall.
- Children’s Day in India is observed on November 14.
7. World Hindi Day 2022: 10th January
- World Hindi Day is celebrated every year on January 10 to mark the first World Hindi Conference that was held in 1975.
- It is celebrated across the world to promote the use of the Hindi language.
- The first World Hindi Conference was held in Nagpur on January 10 in 1975.
- 1st World Hindi Day was celebrated in the year 2006.
- The theme of this day is to make Hindi a part of public opinion, although it doesn’t necessarily mean that one has to leave their mother tongue.
8. Oscar-winning composer Marilyn Bergman passes away
- Oscar-winning lyricist and composer, Marilyn Bergman (93) passed away in Los Angeles.
- Bergman and her collaborator husband Alan, was nominated for 16 Academy Awards over the course of her career, winning three.
- The song “The Way We Were” from the Barbara Streisand movie of the same name was one of those Oscar wins, which also won two Grammys.
- The collaborating team of the Bergmans also won two other Oscars for their songs.
9. Canada win ATP Cup with 2-0 win in singles over Spain
- Felix Auger-Aliassime won the ATP Cup title for Canada with a victory over Roberto Bautista Agut to give his country an insurmountable 2-0 lead against Spain.
- Denis Shapovalov opened the match for Canada with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Pablo Carreno Busta.
- Auger-Aliassime and Shapovalov won a deciding doubles against Russia in the semifinals to knock out the defending champions.
- And with the title on the line, they played their best tennis to defeat 2-time finalists of Spain
10. Rohan Bopanna and Ramkumar Ramanathan win doubles title in Adelaide
- India's Rohan Bopanna and Ramkumar Ramanathan won the men's doubles title at the Adelaide International ATP 250 event.
- The unseeded pair beat top seeds Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo in the final to mark a victorious debut on the ATP Tour.
- This is Ramkumar's first ATP Tour title while Bopanna won his 20th.
- The Adelaide tournament is a warm-up for the Australian Open, the season's first Grand Slam.
Banking & Finance
11. RBL Bank collaborates with Google to advance next-gen customer experience
- RBL Bank and Google announced a strategic collaboration to fuel the Bank’s customer experience strategy.
- Through this the bank will expand its value proposition to serve its rapidly growing customer base through the digital platform, Abacus 2.0.
- It will enable better customer data management, and analytics, enabling effective cross-selling within the Bank’s large customer base.
- The Bank aims to provide a holistic one-stop solution to its existing and new customers.
12. Rajnath Singh flags-in India’s 1st Multidimensional Adventure Expedition
- Rajnath Singh flagged-in India’s 1st multi-dimensional Adventure Sports Expedition
- It was conducted by National Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports in France.
- The expedition was conducted in Nov 21.
- The team comprising 12 people - eight Army personnel and four youths of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The expedition team carried out over 250 Km of winter trekking in the Alps Mountain Ranges.
- The expedition was organised as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
National & International Appointments
1. Ex-RBI Governor Urjit Patel appointed AIIB Vice President
- Former RBI governor Urjit Patel has been appointed as the Vice President of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- His tenure will be of 3-year.
- He will succeed D J Pandian, who is in charge of sovereign, non-sovereign lending of AIIB in South Asia, Pacific Islands and South-East Asia
- Multilateral development bank to improve economic and social outcomes in Asia.
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Membership: 104 Members
- President: Jin Liqun
- Launched: 2015
2. Jitendra Singh inaugurates India’s first open rock museum in Hyderabad
- Union Minister Jitendra Singh has inaugurated India’s first Open Rock Museum in Hyderabad
- It displays around 35 different types of rocks from different parts of India with ages ranging from 3.3 billion years to around 55 million years of the Earth’s history.
- They also represent the deepest part of the earth, up to 175 kms from the surface of the earth.
- They have been sourced from Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Uttarakhand, Jharkhand, Jammu & Kashmir and others.
3. KVIC launches India’s first ‘Mobile Honey Processing Van’ at Ghaziabad
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has launched India’s first Mobile Honey Processing Van at Village Sirora in Ghaziabad, UP
- It has been designed by KVIC at its Multi-disciplinary training centre, Panjokehra
- The cost of developing the unit is around Rs 15 lakh
- It can process 300 kg of honey in 8 hours and has a testing laboratory to instantly examine quality of honey
- It is likely to benefit rural areas of UP, Uttarakhand, Haryana, Delhi, Punjab, Rajasthan
4. India participated in US-led six nations Exercise Sea Dragon 22
- Six Indo-Pacific nations participated in multinational exercise Sea Dragon 22 which began at Andersen Air Force Base in Guam in Western Pacific
- Participating members are Quad nations (United States, Australia, India and Japan), Canada and South Korea
- It includes more than 270 hours of in-flight training, classroom sessions for pilots, flight officers
- Sea Dragon: US led multi-national exercise that focuses on anti-submarine warfare (ASW) training in Indo-Pacific region
5. NSO projects Indian economy to grow 9.2% in FY22
- National Statistical Office (NSO) has estimated India’s GDP to grow at 9.2% in the current fiscal, 2021-22 in its first advance estimates
- NSO also estimated GDP for 2020-21 fiscal at a contraction of 7.3%
- Real GDP in 2021-22 is estimated at Rs. 147.54 lakh crore against provisional estimate of GDP for 2020-21 at Rs 135.13 lakh crore
- Nominal GDP for 2021-22 is estimated at Rs. 232.15 lakh crore, against Provisional Estimate of GDP for 2020-21 at Rs 197.46 lakh crore
Books & Authors
6. Book titled ‘Mamata: Beyond 2021’ to release on January 24, 2022
- Political Journalist, Jayanta Ghosal is coming up with a new book titled as ‘Mamata Beyond 2021’, based on West Bengal CM and Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee
- It will be released on January 24, 2022.
- It has been translated by Arunava Sinha, fiction, non-fiction translator
- It will be published by HarperCollins India
- It narrates how Mamata worked tirelessly for the state’s poor and disadvantaged and was successfully able to portray herself as ‘daughter of Bengal’
Science & Technology
7. NASA successfully completes deployment of James Webb Space Telescope
- NASA has successfully completed deployment of 21-foot, gold-coated primary mirror panel of James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)
- JWST was launched on December 25, 2021, in an Ariane 5 rocket from French Guiana
- The mission will explore every phase of cosmic history, ranging from within our solar system to most distant observable galaxies
- JWST is developed by NASA in collaboration with European Space Agency (ESA) and Canadian Space Agency (CSA)
8. World No.1 Ash Barty wins Adelaide International
- World No.1 tennis player, Ash Barty won Adelaide International by defeating world No. 14 Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan by 6-3, 6-2 in Women's Singles final at Cannebara.
- This was Barty’s 14th career singles title and second in Adelaide.
- He defeated 2020 Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin and 2020 French Open winner Iga Swiatek of Poland en route to the title in Adelaide, without dropping a set or a service game against Rybakina, Kenin or Swiatek.
Banking & Finance
9. SBI General Insurance launches awareness campaign on tax saving
- SBI General Insurance has launched an awareness campaign titled as #BahaneChhodoTaxBachao to increase awareness on how people can save tax by buying health insurance.
- It will also underline other benefits of opting for health insurance.
- It consists of videos in a Vox Pop format featuring anchor Rudraksh Singh, travelling across Mumbai, Bengaluru, Delhi, Kolkata and asking people to offer excuses for not opting health insurance
- MD and CEO of SBI Insurance: PC Kandpal.
Books & Authors
10. Gandhi’s Assassin: The Making of Nathuram Godse and His Idea of India book
- Delhi-based journalist Dhirendra K. Jha has released a new book titled as ‘Gandhi’s Assassin: The Making of Nathuram Godse and His Idea of India’.
- The book has been published under Vintage Books publication.
- It narrates Godse’s relationship with organizations that influenced his world view and the gradual hardening of his resolve, and fateful decisions that eventually led to Mahatma Gandhi’s assassination.
11. Pravasi Bharatiya Divas: 9th January
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD)/(Non-Resident Indian Day) is observed every year in India on 9th January to mark the favors and contributions made by Non Resident Indians towards the welfare and development of the nation
- India is celebrating its 17th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas in 2022.
- As a part of the celebration, Ministry of External Affairs will address a virtual youth PBD conference on the theme ‘the role of the Indian diaspora.’