National & International Appointments
1. G Ashok Kumar appointed as India’s 1st National Maritime Security Coordinat
- Former navy vice chief, Vice Admiral (retd.) G Ashok Kumar took over as India’s first National Maritime Security Coordinator (NMSC) to strengthen the country's maritime security.
- He will report directly to Ajit Doval (NSA).
- He stepped down as vice head of the navy last year.
- Mr Kumar, an alumnus of Sainik School in Amaravathi Nagar, Tamil Nadu, and the National Defence Academy in Khadakvasla, Pune,
- He was commissioned into the navy’s executive branch in July 1982.
2. Mizoram to get motor racing track near Aizawl airport
- Mizoram will soon get a motor racing track, which will be the first of its kind in eastern and northeastern India.
- The proposed project worth Rs 10 crores will be constructed at Lengpui, about 31 km north of Aizawl, where the lone state’s airport is located.
- Mizoram State Sports Council (MSSC) and Rural Electrification Corporation (REC) had inked a pact for the construction of REC Motosports Racing Tract and Sports Complex.
3. Gujarat announces New Biotechnology Policy for 2022-27
- Gujarat CM Bhupendra Patel has announced New Biotechnology Policy for the year 2022-27, aimed to achieve Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
- Under this policy, strategic projects, mega and large projects are eligible for special packages.
- This will attract new investment through anchor units and existing industries and create new employment opportunities in the state
- The MSMEs with a capital investment of less than 200 crore rupees will be given maximum assistance of 40 crore rupees
4. Tourism Ministry and AAA Limited sign MoU to promote domestic tourism
- Tourism Ministry has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Alliance Air Aviation Limited to boost cooperation for the promotion and marketing of domestic tourism throughout the country.
- Alliance Air is the front runner in promoting the Regional Connectivity Scheme of the government which is being promoted under the scheme UDAN - (Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik).
- The MoU was signed with a view to achieving the common purpose of joint domestic promotion.
5. PM Modi and Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi to hold Virtual Summit today
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi to hold a Virtual Summit today to firm up Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement.
- Both leaders are expected to lay out their vision of the historic and friendly relations between the two countries,
- UAE is celebrating the 50th anniversary of its foundation.
- Prime Minister Modi also dedicated to Nation, two additional railway lines in Maharashtra this evening.
6. US-Bangladesh to conduct joint air exercise ‘Cope South 22’
- The air forces of Bangladesh and the US will conduct a joint air exercise between Feb 20-25.
- The aim of the exercise is to improve interoperability with the Bangladesh air force and to support the armed forces of Bangladesh's long-term modernization efforts in order to maintain regional stability.
- Bilateral tactical airlift exercise ‘Cope South 22’ will be conducted at BAF Kurmitola Cantonment, Dhaka, and Operating Location-Alpha, Sylhet, Bangladesh.
7. Indian football legend Surajit Sengupta passes away
- The former India footballer Surajit Sengupta (71-years) passed away due to COVID-19 complications in Kolkata.
- Sengupta had been associated with Kolkata’s three big clubs, Mohun Bagan (1972-1973, 1981-1983), East Bengal (1974- 1979) and Mohammedan Sporting (1980).
- He represented the national team from 1973 to 1979 and was in the national team for the 1978 Asian Games.
8. LSRC lifts 15th CEC Cup Men’s Ice Hockey Championship 2022
- Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre (LSRC), has lifted the 15th CEC Cup Men’s Ice Hockey Championship - 2022.
- In a seesaw final, LSRC beat Indo Tibetan Border Police, ITBP by 3-2 goals.
- The tournament has been organised by the Department of Youth Services & Sports, Leh in collaboration with Ladakh Winter Sports Club, Leh.
9. DefExpo 2022: Over 900 firms to take part
- Asia’s largest defence exhibition, DefExpo 2022 will be held in Gandhinagar.
- More than 900 defence firms and 55 countries are expected to participate in it.
- A 1,000-drone display is expected to be one of the highlights of the exhibition.
- This will be the second time such a show is being organised in the country.
- DefExpo was traditionally held in Delhi until 2014 after which it has seen a string of new venues --- Goa (2016), Chennai (2018) and Lucknow (2020).
Banking & Finance
10. SIDBI expands its MSME programme to Bihar
- SIDBI has partnered with the Bihar govt to develop the state’s MSME ecosystem.
- It signed two MoUs with the Industries Department, Govt of Bihar and Bihar Industrial Area Development Authority (BIADA).
- Under the MoU it will deploy Project Management Units (PMU) in making necessary interventions for facilitating the development of the MSME ecosystem.
- SIDBI is the principal financial institution for MSME development in the country.
- SIDBI Headquarter: Lucknow
Banking & Finance
11. IndusInd Bank to facilitate digital transactions on e-NAM
- IndusInd Bank has been empaneled by the SFAC to facilitate digital collection and settlement services on e-NAM portal.
- Under this arrangement, the bank will offer an array of transaction services through digital modes including multi-net banking , debit card, NEFT, RTGS, IMPS and UPI to the buyer and seller.
- As of January 2022, there are over 1.7 crore farmers and more than 1.8 lakh traders who are registered on eNAM and have benefitted from the digital marketplace.
Banking & Finance
12. Fisdom partners with Bank of Maharashtra to offer wealth management service
- Fisdom, a wealth-tech company, has joined hands with Bank of Maharashtra, to offer wealth management products and services to over 29 mn customers of the bank.
- This partnership is to distribute the wealth products and services through the bank’s network of more than 2,000 branches and its digital platforms, including the mobile banking app and internet banking.
- Wealth management services will be made accessible to bank customers through both physical and digital mode.
Banking & Finance
13. Nepal to become first country to deploy India's UPI platform
- NPCI announced that, Nepal will be the first country to adopt India's UPI system.
- This will play a pivotal role in transforming the digital economy of the neighbouring country.
- NPCI International Payments Ltd, the international arm of NPCI, has joined hands with Gateway Payments Service and Manam Infotech to provide the services in Nepal.
- GPS is the authorised payment system operator in Nepal
- Manam Infotech will deploy Unified Payments Interface (UPI) in Nepal.