National & International Appointments
1. Vineet Joshi appointed as Chairman of Central Board of Secondary Education
- Vineet Joshi (1992 batch IAS officer of Manipur cadre) has been appointed as the Chairman of Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) with effect from 14th February 2022.
- He is also serving as an Additional Secretary, Department of Higher Education, under Ministry of Education and Director-General of National Testing Agency (NTA)
- He succeeded Manoj Ahuja, who has been appointed as Officer on Special Duty (OSD) in the Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
2. Music composer and singer Bappi Lahiri passes away
- Legendary Bollywood Music Composer and singer Bappi Lahiri (69 years) passed away in Mumbai due to multiple health issues.
- He was instrumental in popularizing Disco music in India and has many hit songs to his credit.
- His famous songs: ‘Chalte chalte mere yeh geet rakhna’, ‘I am a Disco Dancer’, ‘Pag Ghunghroo baandh Mira nachi thhi’ from ‘Sharabi’ and ‘Yaar bina Chain kaha re’ among others.
- He won five Filmfare Awards.
Summits & Conferences
3. Narcotics Control Bureau organizes Darkathon 2022 in New Delhi
- Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) is organizing Darkathon 2022 in New Delhi to find solutions to counter drug trafficking through darknet across the globe.
- Aim: involving students, youth and technical experts to find effective solutions to unravel anonymity of darknet markets.
- It is being organized in three phases and will conclude on 22nd April, 2022
- Registration begins from 15th February and will close on 31st March.
- Winner will be awarded with cash of Rs 2.5 Lakh.
Honours & Awards
4. Sandeep Bakhshi named Business Standard Banker of 2020-21
- Sandeep Bakhshi has been named as the Business Standard Banker of the Year 2020-21.
- He is serving as the managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of ICICI Bank, SNICE 2018
- He has been awarded for turning private sector lender and changing the perception about it during his tenure of the past three and a half years.
- His name was chosen by a jury of 5 members chaired by former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) deputy governor S S Mundra
- ICICI Banks HQs: Mumbai
5. Dabur becomes first Indian plastic waste neutral FMCG company in India
- Dabur India has become first Indian consumer goods company to become completely plastic waste neutral.
- The company reach this position by collecting, processing and recycling around 27,000 metric tonnes of post-consumer plastic waste during FY 21-22.
- Dabur has achieved landmark of surpassing plastic packaging usage with recycling
- It has also announced the launch of ‘Save the Environment’ campaign in Himachal Pradesh to create awareness within communities, households.
6. Israel becomes first-ever country to allow drones in civilian airspace
- Israel has become the first nation in the world to allow unmanned aircraft vehicles (Drones) to operate in civilian airspace for fields like agriculture, environment, crime, etc
- After this move, drones will be allowed to fly in civilian airspace, just like any other airliner, rather than being restricted to unsegregated airspace
- Israeli Civil Aviation Authority has issued certification to ‘Hermes Starliner’ unmanned system, which is developed by Elbit Systems
7. Vedanta forms JV with Foxconn to manufacture semiconductors in India
- Indian mining major Vedanta has inked MoU with Taiwanese electronics manufacturing company, Hon Hai Technology Group (Foxconn) to form a joint venture (JV) for manufacturing semiconductors in India.
- This is the first Joint Venture in the electronics manufacturing sector after government announced Rs 76,000 crore production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme for semiconductor and display manufacturing
- Majority shareholder: Vedanta
- Chairman of this JV company: Anil Agarwal
Summits & Conferences
8. PM to inaugural address at TERI’s World Sustainable Development Summit
- PM Narendra Modi will virtually deliver inaugural address at The Energy and Resources Institute’s (TERI) World Sustainable Development Summit today.
- This 3-day Summit is TERI’s annual flagship event.
- Theme 2022: ‘Towards a Resilient Planet: Ensuring a Sustainable and Equitable Future’.
- The Summit will discuss wide range of issues including climate change, sustainable production, energy transitions, global commons and resource security.
Banking & Finance
9. Paisabazaar along with RBL Bank launches ‘Paisa on Demand’ credit card
- Digital platform for consumer credit, Paisabazaar has partnered with RBL Bank to launch ‘Paisa on Demand’ (PoD) credit card, under its neo-lending strategy.
- It is the third product under neo-lending strategy of Paisabazaar.
- It will be exclusively available on Paisabazaar platform.
- Along with the features of credit card, it will provide the option of availing of personal loans from RBL Bank.
- It will be lifetime free with a digital onboarding process.
10. MoTA allocates Rs. 2.26 Crores for Telangana’s Medaram Jatara Festival 2022
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) has sanctioned Rs. 2.26 Crores for Medaram Jatara 2022 Festival in Telangana.
- The festival is being held from 16th to 19th February 2022.
- Medaram Jatara:
- It is a 4-day long festival, which is celebrated once in two years in ‘Magha’ (February) on the full moon day, in Medaram Village, Telangana
- It is the second-largest fair, after Kumbh Mela.
- It is organized by Koya tribe, in collaboration with Tribal Welfare Department, Telangana.
Summits & Conferences
11. MNRE to host ‘New Frontiers’ program on Renewable Energy
- Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) is conducting ‘New Frontiers’ program on Renewable Energy as a part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations.
- It will be held from 16th to 18th February 2022.
- Under this, MNRE will conduct physical event on ‘India’s Leadership in Energy Transition’ at Vigyan Bhawan
- It will organize 3 webinars on Women, Energy Transition and clean-tech start-ups.
- It will conclude with Roadmap to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2070 session
12. Telangana flags off first-ever all-women officers sailing expedition
- Telangana Governor Tamilisai Sounderarajan has flagged off historic first-ever all-women officers offshore sailing expedition of Indian Army between Chennai Vizag Chennai at Chennai Port Trust.
- Governor praised Indian Army for opening its doors to women and the enhanced role and respect that they command to this day.
- Women officers completed grueling training for the expedition which is yet another step towards women empowerment.
13. LAHDC, Leh launches Kunsnyom scheme for differently abled persons
- Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC), Leh has launched Kunsnyoms scheme for differently-abled persons.
- Kunsnyoms = Equal for All, Fair for All and aims inclusive and accessible Ladakh.
- Under this, Leh Hill council is providing assistive devices, technologies to needy people at 90 percent subsidy.
- Under the scheme, 28 tri-scooters, battery-run wheelchair, walking aids and other aids required for special needs of the individuals has been distributed.
National & International Organizations
14. India ranks third globally in LEED Certified Green Buildings in 2021
- India has been ranked 3rd in the world in US Green Building Council’s annual list of top 10 nations and areas outside United States for LEED-certified green buildings in 2021.
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED): Most widely used green building rating system in the world, that provides framework for healthy, highly efficient, and cost-saving green buildings.
- India had 146 LEED-certified buildings and spaces in 2021.