National & International Appointments
1. Ilker Ayci appointed as MD & CEO of AIR India
- Former chairman of Turkish Airlines, Ilker Ayci (51 years) has been appointed as the CEO and MD of Air India.
- His appointment is subject to requisite regulatory approvals.
- He will assume the officer on or before April 1, 2022.
- Tata Group took over Air India in January 2022 in a move which is considered formal homecoming for India’s first airline born in 1932 before it was nationalized nearly 70 years ago
- Other airlines under Tata groups: Vistara and AirAsia India
2. Indian Railways to facilitate world-class wrestling academy at Kishanganj
- Indian Railways will facilitate world-class wrestling academy at Kishanganj in the National capital to provide the best facilities to sportspersons in India
- Total cost of the project: Rs. 30.76 crores
- It will serve as a platform to provide an opportunity to many budding wrestlers to become champions in the times to come.
- Most of the elite wrestlers are from Railways including Sushil (2008 & 2012), Sakshi Malik (2016), Ravi Kumar and Bajrang (2020).
Arts & Culture
3. Jaisalmer Desert Festival begins in Rajasthan
- World-famous Jaisalmer Desert Festival has begun at Pokhran, Rajasthan with colourful grand procession followed by Miss Pokaran and Mister Pokran competitions.
- It is also known as Maru Mahotsav of the Golden City.
- It is a 4-day long festival with competitions like Turban tying, Panihari Matka , Mehandi and mandana competitions.
- Other attractions: Camel Safari, Camel beautification, Camel Polo match, BSF Camel Tattoo, Camel dance, etc.
National & International Appointments
4. Ravi Chopra resigns as Chairman of Supreme Court appointed Char Dham Panel
- Veteran environmentalist Ravi Chopra (75 years) has resigned as Chairman and member of High Powered Committee (HPC) for Char Dham project, appointed by Supreme Court
- He was assigned the chairmanship of HPC in September 2019 to oversee all-weather road widening project in Char Dham circuit.
- Char Dham Road Project: It envisages widening of 10 mtrs roads to improve accessibility to Char Dham (Four shrines): Yamunotri, Gangotri, Badrinath, Kedarnath
Books & Authors
5. Book titled ‘How to Prevent the Next Pandemic’ to be launched in May 2022
- Book titled as ‘How to Prevent the Next Pandemic’ will be launched in May 2022.
- The book has been authored by Bill Gates under Penguin Books publishing house.
- The book is about specific steps that can only stop future pandemics but, in the process, provide better health care for everyone around the world.
- In 2021, Bill Gates’ has authored the book ‘How to Avoid a Climate Disaster’.
- It will be published in UK, India, Australia, and South Africa.
Science & Technology
6. Reliance Jio ties up with Luxembourg’s SES for satellite-based broadband
- Reliance Jio has tied-up with Luxembourg-based satellite and telecom services provider ‘SES’ to provide satellite-based broadband communication services in India.
- Under this, Jio Platforms has formed joint venture with SES, named as Jio Space Technology
- It will deliver next generation scalable and affordable broadband services in India, leveraging satellite technology
- Jio will hold 51% and SES will own 49% equity stake.
- Total value of the contract: $100 million
7. J&K govt signs pact with New Zealand for transforming sheep farming sector
- Jammu and Kashmir govt has signed a pact with New Zealand for the transformation of sheep farming sector in the Union territory of J&K.
- 2022 marks 70th anniversary of the commencement of bilateral relations between India and New Zealand.
- Objective: To improve farmers’ remuneration, transfer of technology in research and development, marketing and value addition of sheep products of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Lt Governor of J&K: Manoj Sinha.
Banking & Finance
8. Dept of Expenditure releases 1154.90 crores for Urban Local Bodies
- Department of Expenditure has released an amount of Rs 1154.90 crore to four states for providing grants to Urban Local Bodies.
- Four States: Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, and Sikkim.
- These grants released are meant for Non-Million Plus cities including Cantonment Boards.
- The 15th Finance Commission in its report for 2021-22 to 2025-26 has divided Urban Local Bodies into two categories.
- Out of total grants, 40% is a basic grant and the remaining 60% is a tied grant.
Arts & Culture
9. First Ladakh Ice and Snow-Sculpture Workshop 2022 concluded
- Lt. Governor Ladakh R.K. Mathur addressed the concluding ceremony of First Ladakh Ice and Snow-Sculpture Workshop 2022.
- Organised by: Kangsing Snow and Ice Sculpture Association in association with Ladakh Police at Sangtakchan near Tsogsti on the way to Chilling.
- Snow Sculpture will be introduced in Ladakh from the next winter season as a tourist attraction, which will also create job opportunities for the locals.
10. DEPwD organized ‘Samajik Adhikarita Shivir’ for distribution of aids
- Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) has organized ‘Samajik Adhikarita Shivir’ for distribution of aids and assistive devices to ‘Divyangjan’ in MP
- It has been launched under ADIP Scheme of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in association with ALIMCO and District Administration of Niwari, MP
- Under this, 737 aids and assistive devices of different category will be distributed free of cost among 409 pre-identified Divyangjan
Banking & Finance
11. CBI books ABG Shipyard for India’s biggest bank fraud of Rs 22,842 cr
- CBI has booked ABG Shipyard for alleged Rs 22,842-crore financial fraud, which is the biggest bank fraud case ever registered
- ABG Shipyard is the flagship entity of ABG Group
- Company cheated consortium of 28 banks and financial institutions
- This case pertained to funds misused during 2012-17 period.
- FIR has been filed in which Rishi Agarwal (CMD of ABG Shipyard) has also been booked
- Company was engaged in diversion of funds, misappropriation, criminal breach of trust
12. ‘Dekho Meri Dilli’ app can be used to book tickets for tourist spots
- Delhi govt’s mobile app Dekho Meri Dilli can now be used to book tickets for various tourist spots from Mughal Garden to Red Fort
- This app will provide users with a link to the Mughal Garden ticketing site and help them with details such as how to reach the area and what facilities are available nearby.
- 'Dekho Meri Dilli’ recently added details of biodiversity parks developed and maintained by DDA and Bharat Darshan Park developed by SDMC
- It was launched in Sep 2021
13. Meta board suggest Facebook and Instagram to make strict doxxing rules
- Meta’s oversight board has suggested Facebook and Instagram to apply strict doxxing rules and consider doxxing as an offence which should prompt temporary account suspension
- Doxxing: Publishing and analysing others' personal information on internet with a malicious intent that can reveal person's real identity making them victims of harassments and cyber-attacks
- It is used to shame or punish people who would rather stay anonymous, because of their controversial beliefs
14. Centre reduces agri-cess for Crude Palm Oil (CPO) from 7.5% to 5%
- Govt has reduced agri-cess for Crude Palm Oil (CPO) from 7.5% to 5% with effect from 12th February 2022
- After reduction, import tax gap between CPO and Refined Palm Oil has increased to 8.25%
- Increase in the gap between CPO and Refined Palm Oil will benefit domestic refining industry to import Crude Oil for refining
- Govt will also extend current basic rate of import duty of 0% on Crude Palm Oil, Crude Soyabean oil and Crude Sunflower Oil till 30th Sept, 2022