1. Alfiya Pathan and Gitika win Gold at Elorda Cup in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- Two Indian female boxers, Alfiya Pathan (81 kg) and Gitika have won gold medals at the Elorda Cup in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
- Kalaivani Srinivasan and Jamuna Boro have signed off with silver medals.
- Alfiya has defeated 2016 world champion, Lazzat Kungeibayeva by a 5-0 margin.
- While Gitika has beat Kalaivani in all-Indian women's 48 kg final.
- Indian contingent concluded the campaign with two gold, two silver, and 10 bronze.
2. Gujarat becomes best performer for 3rd time in States' Startup Ranking 2021
- Gujarat has been selected as the 'Best Performer State' for the third time in the States' Startup Ranking 2021.
- The ranking has categorized the states under two categories - category A and category B - based on their size.
- Top performers:
- A category: Kerala, Maharashtra, Odisha, and Telangana
- B category: J&K
- Startup leaders:
- Category A: Tamil Nadu, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and Assam
- Category B: Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Banking & Finance
3. GST collections increased to Rs 1.44 lakh cr in June 2022
- Collection of Goods and services tax (GST) in June 2022 has jumped to 56% year-on-year to touch Rs 1,44,616 crore.
- The GST collection raised due to economic recovery and anti-evasion drives such as action against fake billers.
- The mop-up in June 2021 had stood at Rs 92,800 crore.
- This is the second-highest collection ever, after the April 2022 mop-up of Rs 1,67,540 crore.
- CGST: Rs 25,306 crore; SGST: Rs 32,406 crore; IGST: Rs 75,887 crore and cess is Rs 11,018 crore.
Banking & Finance
4. Payment operators need RBI nod for merger and acquisition
- Non-bank payment system operators (PSOs) shall require approval from the RBI in following cases:
- 1) For any takeover or acquisition of control, which may or may not result in change of management.
- 2) Sale or transfer of payment activity to an entity not authorised for undertaking such an activity
- The RBI shall respond within 45 calendar days after receipt of complete details.
- The authorised non-bank PSO should inform DPSS, CO, RBI within 15 calendar days.
Banking & Finance
5. RBI imposes penalties on Kotak Mahindra Bank and IndusInd Bank
- The RBI has imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 1.05 crores and Rs 1 crore on Kotak Mahindra Bank and IndusInd Bank respectively.
- Reason: For deficiencies in regulatory compliance.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has failed to maintain margin on advances to stock brokers, credit the amount involved in the unauthorised electronic transactions to the customers’ account.
- IndusInd Bank has failed to adhere to customer due diligence procedure in the accounts opened using OTP based e-KYC.
6. Veteran filmmaker, Tarun Majumdar passes away at 91
- Veteran filmmaker, Tarun Majumdar has passed away in Kolkata at 91.
- He was known for his sensitive portrayal of middle-class life and the human condition in his film.
- He has won National Award four-times and received Padma Shri.
His first directed film was Chawa Pawa (1959), starring Uttam Kumar and Suchitra Sen.
- In 1962, he directed Kancher Swarga, which won the National Award for the best feature film in Bengali.
7. Tata Power signs MoU with Tamil Nadu government for solar plant
- Tata Power has signed an MoU with Tamil Nadu government to invest Rs 3,000 crore for setting up a greenfield 4GW solar cell and 4 GW solar module manufacturing.
- The plant will be set up in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu.
- Tata Power has also built a manufacturing unit in Bangalore, which has a production capacity of 635 megawatts of modules and 500 megawatts of cells.
- CEO and MD, Tata Power: Praveer Sinha
Honours & Awards
8. NTPC recognized as the most preferred workplace of 2022
- NTPC has been recognized as the “Most Preferred Workplaces of 2022" in the premier edition of “Most Preferred Workplaces 2022".
- It was organized by the Team Marksmen in association with India Today.
- It highlights that how the organizations manage the wellbeing of employee, engagement and productivity alongside organizational performance.
- Organizations are rated on parameters such as employee centricity, objectives, intrapreneurial ecosystem and so on.
9. ‘EV Mitra’ app develop by BESCOM to provide info on EV charging stations
- The Bengaluru Electricity Company (BESCOM) has developed 'EV Mitra' mobile app with an aim to provide information about EV charging stations in Bengaluru.
- Earlier, the BESCOM had introduced the EV Jagruthi Web portal, in a joint initiative of NITI Ayog and the United Kingdom.
- This web portal gives state specific information on the availability of electric vehicles, incentives, support mechanisms and initiatives of the state government regarding electric mobility.
Honours & Awards
10. HCL Technologies honours with Microsoft Partner of the Year Awards 2022
- HCL Tech has been honoured with the Microsoft Partner of the Year Award for Healthcare and Life Sciences (global winner) and the 2022 UK Microsoft Partner of the Year Award (country winner).
- These awards have recognized the Microsoft partners that have developed and delivered outstanding Microsoft-based applications, services, and devices during the past year.
- HCL Technologies CEO: C Vijayakumar; Headquarters: Noida
11. Viktor Axelsen wins the 2022 Malaysia Open, defeats Kento Momota
- World number one, Viktor Axelsen (Danish badminton player) has clinched 2022 Malaysia Open title after defeating Japan's Kento Momota .
- The badminton tournament was held at the Axiata Arena, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Women's singles: Ratchanok Intanon (Thailand)
- Men's doubles: Takuro Hoki (Japan), Yugo Kobayashi (Japan)
- Women's doubles: Apriyani Rahayu (Indonesia); Siti Fadia Silva Ramadhanti (Indonesia)
- Mixed doubles: Zheng Siwei (China), Huang Yaqiong (China)
National & International Appointments
12. Rahul Narwekar becomes the youngest Speaker in the country
- Rahul Narwekar was elected as the 16th Speaker of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly after defeating Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena candidate).
- The post of the Maharashtra Speaker was vacant after Nana Patole (Congress) resigned from the office in February 2021.
- The Deputy Speaker Narhari Zirwal was playing as an acting Speaker in the House.
- Maharashtra Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari; Chief minister: Eknath Shinde; Deputy CM: Devendra Fadnavis