National & International Appointments
1. Guido Bellido named as new Prime Minister of Peru
- The newly sworn-in President of Peru, Pedro Castillo had appointed Guido Bellido, as the new prime minister of the country.
- Mr Bellido is a member of the Marxist-Leninist Free Peru party, with which Castillo won the presidency.
- Bellido’s swearing-in was held in the Southern Andean city of Ayacucho.
- Peru is the world’s No. 2 copper producer.
- Capital: Lima
2. PM Modi addressed IPS probationers at SVPNPA
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed and interacted virtually with the IPS probationers at Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNPA) in Hyderabad.
- Mr Modi asked them to keep national interest in mind while taking any decision at the ground level and remember the Mantra of ‘Nation First-Always First'.
- The Indian Police Service (IPS) is a civil service under the All India Services.
- Minister Responsible: Amit Shah (Home Minister)
3. World Ranger Day: 31st July
- World Ranger Day is celebrated every year on 31st July to commemorate the Rangers killed or injured while on duty and to celebrate the work that Rangers do to protect the world’s natural and cultural heritage.
- It was on this day in 1992 that International Ranger Federation (IRF) was founded.
- A Ranger is a person tasked with preserving and protecting parklands and natural protected areas. A Ranger typically refers to a forest ranger or a park ranger.
4. Rajasthan Government launches ‘Mission Niryatak Bano’
- The Rajasthan government's industries department and the Rajasthan State Industrial Development and Investment Corporation (RIICO) launched the 'Mission Niryatak Bano' campaign to promote aspiring exporters in the state.
- The campaign will cover assistance of local traders from training, securing necessary documentation, registration in Rajasthan Export Promotion Council and even support in exports and trade operations.
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra
- Capital: Jaipur
5. First Goods train on Haldibari-Chilahati route leaving for Bangladesh
- The first goods train to carry stone chips to Bangladesh through the revived Haldibari -Chilahati rail link left from Damdim station of Alipurduar Division in North Frontier Railway.
- This route will provide a shorter route for the transit of goods into Bangladesh from Assam, West Bengal, Nepal and Bhutan.
- At present, five rail routes connect Bangladesh and India namely Petrapole-Benapole, Gede-Darshana, Singhabad-Rohanpur, Radhikapur-Birol and Haldibari-Chilahati.
6. Shri Hardeep Singh Puri launches DSF Bid Round-III
- Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri has launched the Discovered Small Field (DSF) Bid Round-III.
- Under the bid round, 75 discoveries across 32 Contract areas in 11 basins/locations are being offered.
- Estimated Hydrocarbon in place of approximately 232 MMTOE of oil and oil equivalent gas are on offer.
- In the earlier two rounds, 54 contracts were awarded to 27 companies including 12 new entrants.
7. Bhoot Jolokia chillies exported to London
- Bhut Jolokia, one of the hottest chillies in the world, was exported from Nagaland to London for the first time.
- India sent a 250kg consignment of Bhut Jolokia to London, UK.
- It is a hybrid of Capsicum Chinese and Capsicum frutescens and is closely related to the Naga Morich.
- Bhut Jolokia got its GI certification in 2008.
8. Tokyo Olympics: PV Sindhu loses against Tai Tzu-Ying
- PV Sindhu has lost her semi-final clash against China's Taipei Tai Tzu-Ying at the ongoing Tokyo Olympics.
- Tai defeated Sindhu 21-18 and 21-12 to enter the final.
- Now, Sindhu will face China's He Bingjiao in the Bronze medal match tomorrow.
9. Former England seamer Mike Hendrick passes away
- Former England and Derbyshire fast bowler Mike Hendrick (72-years) has passed away.
- Mike Hendrick made his debut for England in 1973 against West Indies while his last match in international cricket came in 1981.
Honours & Awards
10. Graphic artist Anand Radhakrishnan wins prestigious Eisner award
- Mumbai-based graphic artist Anand Radhakrishnan (32-years) has won the prestigious Will Eisner Award for his work on Ram V's authored novel- Blue In Green.
- Anand shared the award with another UK-based colourist John Pearson.
- He won the prestigious Eisner award for Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (interior art).
- The graphics novel was published in October 2020 by Image Comics.