1. Mithali Raj bagged top position in ICC Women's ODI Player Rankings
- Indian skipper Mithali Raj has reclaimed her spot as the number one batting player on the MRF Tyres ICC Women's ODI Player Rankings.
- This is the ninth time that Mithali has reached the number one spot among batting players since first occupying the spot more than 16 years ago.
- She is followed by Lizelle Lee (South Africa), Alyssa Healy (Australia), Tamsin Beaumont (England) and Stafanie Taylor (West Indies).
- Shafali Verma is the top batting player in T20 category.
Science & Technology
2. Russia successfully test-fires S-500 missile system
- Russia has successfully test-fired new S-500 air defence missile systems from southern training range, Kapustin Yar
- It hit a high-speed ballistic target as planned during test-firing
- S-500 is also known as Prometey or 55R6M Triumfator-M and is a Russian surface-to-air missile/anti-ballistic missile system which is the most advanced anti-missile system in the world
- It has been developed by Almaz-Antey Air Defence Concern.
- It has a maximum firing range of 600 kilometres
Science & Technology
3. IIT Ropar develops first-of-its-kind Oxygen rationing device ‘AMLEX’
- IIT Ropar has developed first-of-its-kind Oxygen Rationing Device named as ‘AMLEX’ to increase the life of medical oxygen cylinders three fold.
- It supplies a required volume of oxygen to the patient during inhalation and trips when the patient exhales CO2.
- This device can operate on both portable power supply (battery) as well as line supply (220V-50Hz)
- It has been developed by PhD students of Biomedical Engineering Dept under Ashish Sahani.
4. Maharashtra to issue educational documents using blockchain technology
- Maharashtra Govt will become the first state to issue educational documents to students of educational institutions using blockchain technology.
- Currently only Singapore, Malta and Bahrain are the only other countries using this technology.
- For this, Maharashtra government has partnered with LegitDoc.
- Each student will receive a 'certficate_LegitDoc.zip' digital file containing the original PDF diploma certificate and corresponding blockchain proof file.
5. Mongolia, Tajikistan and Switzerland inducted as Associate Members of ICC
- International Cricket Council (ICC) has inducted Mongolia, Tajikistan and Switzerland as its newest member countries at the ICC’s 78th Annual virtual General Meeting
- With this, ICC now comprise of total 106 Members including 94 Associates.
- These three newly inducted nations are now among ICC’s 94 Associate Members
- Mongolia and Tajikistan have been inducted as 22nd and 23rd Members from Asia region while Switzerland is 35th Member from Europe region.
- ICC HQs: Dubai, UAE
6. First elections of Balika Panchayat successfully held at Kunariya village
- First-ever elections of Balika Panchayat has been successfully held at Kunariya village, Kutch, Gujarat
- Young females aged between 10 to 21 years contested elections for this unique Panchayat
- It will take up issues pertaining to adolescent girls and women in the village.
- It was inspired by TV show, Balika Vadhu to develop leadership qualities in the girls for Future Panchayat polls
- This Panchayat will be run by girls and for girls.
- Sarpanch of Kunariya: Suresh Chhanga
7. Prasar Bharati partners with IIT-Kanpur on NextGen broadcasting technology
- Prasar Bharati has signed MoU with IIT Kanpur to establish Centre of Excellence for Media and Broadcasting Technologies.
- Areas that will be covered under Center of Excellence are:
- Next Generation Broadcast Technology Trial (Direct to Mobile Broadcasting, Convergence with 5G)
- Automatic Speech Recognition for Speech Subtitling (Making Broadcast Content in Indian Languages Accessible)
- Archival Content Retrieval through Audio, Text Query
Science & Technology
8. IOC to set up first ‘green hydrogen’ plant at Mathura
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) will build first ‘green hydrogen’ plant of India at its Mathura refinery to meet the growing demand for both oil and cleaner forms of energy.
- IOC will make use of 250 MW of electricity which it produces from renewable sources like solar power to produce absolutely green hydrogen through electrolysis for this
- Green hydrogen production is the ultimate clean hydrogen resource and uses renewable energy to create hydrogen fuel.
Banking & Finance
9. ADB lowers India's economic growth forecast for this fiscal to 10%
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) in its Asian Development Outlook (ADO) has downgraded India's economic growth forecast for the current financial year to 10% from 11% projected in April due to adverse impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
- India's GDP growth recovered to 1.6% in the last quarter of fiscal year that ended on March 2021
- GDP for FY2022 (ending in March 2023) is upgraded from 7% to 7.5%
- GDP growth forecast for South Asia in 2021 is downgraded to 8.9%
10. Centre extends ‘Stand Up India Scheme’ up to 2025
- Central Govt has extended the duration of ‘Stand Up India Scheme’ till 2025 to facilitate loans to SC, ST and women borrowers promoting entrepreneurship among them.
- The scheme was launched in 2016 and loans under this are extended by Scheduled Commercial Banks (SCBs) between Rs. 10 lakh and Rs.1 Crore.
- The scheme encourage the beneficiaries in setting up a green field enterprise, outside of the farm sector, that is in manufacturing, services or trading sector.
National & International Appointments
11. B K Sinha appointed as Press Attache of India's Olympic contingent
- Retired IPS officer B K Sinha has been appointed as the Press Attache of India's Olympic contingent at the Tokyo Games
- He will perform the dual role of Security as well as Press Attache
- He is a former Haryana DGP and also a recipient of the President's Police Medal.
- India will be represented by 228-strong contingent, including 119 athletes, at the Tokyo Olympics, which is to begin from 23rd July
- Indian Olympic Association President: Narinder Batra.
Science & Technology
12. Jeff Bezos and Blue Origin completed successful spaceflight
- Jeff Bezos streaked into space on a thrilling 10-minute up-and-down flight in the first crewed flight of his rocket ship, New Shepard
- He was accompanied by Mark Bezos, his brother, Wally Funk, pioneer of the space race, and an 18-year-old student.
- They travelled in a capsule with the biggest windows flown in space, offering stunning views of the Earth.
- New Shepard is built by Bezos’ Blue Origin and is designed to serve the burgeoning market for space tourism.