Daily Current Affairs 1/7/2022
Important News: International
UN report on internet shutdown
Why in News:
- According to the United Nations Report on Internet Shutdown, Internet shutdown affects the safety and well-being of people and hinders the flow of information as well as harms the economy.
- Internet shutdowns are measures taken by or on behalf of a government to deliberately disrupt the use of online information and communication systems.
- According to the KeepItOn alliance, there were 931 internet shutdowns in 74 countries from 2016-2021.
- According to the report, internet connection was blocked or interrupted 106 times by India, out of which at least 85 times in India's internet shutdown has been done in Jammu and Kashmir.
- According to the report, the main reason for Internet shutdowns from 2016-2021 is about half of all Internet shutdowns recorded by civil society groups, in the context of protests and political crises related to social, political, or economic grievances.
Source: The Hindu
United Nations Ocean Conference: 'Blue Deal'
Why in News:
- A “Blue Deal” has been adopted at the 2022 United Nations Ocean Conference to enable sustainable use of marine resources for economic development.
- According to the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), the Blue Deal covers innovation to facilitate global trade, investment, and a sustainable ocean economy.
- The main goal of the Blue Deal is for coastal and island developing nations to benefit from the sustainable development of the ocean economy, including fisheries and aquaculture, coastal tourism, maritime transport, offshore renewable energy, ecosystem services, and marine genetic resources.
- The Blue Deal will also be helpful in generating employment opportunities for the developing countries, with the help of which the means of generating revenue for these countries will increase.
Source: Times of India
Important News: National
'Entrepreneurial India' program
Why in News:
- Participated in the 'Entrepreneur India' program organized by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi in Delhi.
- Prime Minister launched major initiatives like 'Improving and Accelerating MSME Performance' (RAMP) scheme, 'Capacity Building of First Time MSME Exporters' (CBFTE) scheme and new facilities of 'Prime Minister's Employment Generation Program' (PMEGP) during the event was also done.
- During the 'Entrepreneur India' program, the Prime Minister also digitally transferred assistance to the beneficiaries of PMEGP for the year 2022-23, announced the results of the MSME Idea Hackathon, 2022, and distributed the National MSME Awards, 2022.
- The MSME Idea Hackathon, 2022 aims to promote and support the creativity of individuals, adoption of the latest technologies, and innovation among MSMEs.
Important News: State
Aurangabad and Osmanabad city
Why in News:
- The Uddhav Thackeray cabinet approved the proposal to change the name of Aurangabad city to Shambaji Nagar and Osmanabad city to Dharashiv.
- Aurangabad was founded in 1610 by Malik Ambar, the Siddi general of the Nizamshahi dynasty of Ahmednagar, at which time the city was named Khirki or Khadki.
- Malik Ambar's son Fateh Khan changed the name of Aurangabad city to Fatehpur after the death of Malik Ambar in the year 1626.
- In the year 1653, the Deccan was invaded by Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb, and established his capital in the city of Aurangabad, which Aurangzeb named Aurangabad.
Source: Indian Express
Important News: Science & Technology
NASA's Capstone Mission
Why in News:
- Capstone mission launched by NASA.
- Capstone is a microwave oven-sized CubeSat, weighing just 55 pounds (25 kg).
- The Capstone - Cislunar Autonomous Positioning System Technology Operations and Navigation Experiment are designed to test a unique, elliptical lunar orbit, known as a near-rectilinear halo orbit (NRHO).
- CAPS (Cyslunar Autonomous Positioning System) is an autonomous navigation software from Capstone
- If CAPS is successfully tested, this software will allow future spacecraft to determine their location without relying exclusively on Earth-based tracking.
Important News: Economy
Business Reform Action Plan-2020
Why in News:
- The Business Reform Action Plan-BRAP 2020 was released by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in New Delhi.
- Based on the implementation of the Business Reform Action Plan-2020, seven top achiever states (Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Punjab, Telangana, and Tamil Nadu) have been identified.
- According to the report submitted by the Business Reform Action Plan-2020, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Uttarakhand, and Uttar Pradesh have been placed in the category of target states, while Assam, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Jharkhand, Kerala, Rajasthan, and West Bengal has been placed in the Aspirational States category.
- According to the report, Andaman and Nicobar, Bihar, Chandigarh, Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Manipur, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Puducherry, and Tripura have been placed under the emerging business ecosystem category.
- The objective of the Business Reform Action Plan is to promote a culture of mutual learning from the best practices of the states and to improve business opportunities in each state and union territory.
Source: Business Times
Justice Shri Alok Aradhe
- A notification has been issued by the Central Government for the appointment of Justice Alok Aradhe as Acting Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court with effect from 3rd July 2022.
- In exercise of the power conferred by Article 223 of the Constitution of India, the President has appointed Justice Shri Alok Aradhe, the senior-most Judge of the High Court of Karnataka, to perform the duties of the office of Chief Justice of this Court.
- This appointment has been made in the light of the retirement of Justice Shri Ritu Raj Awasthi, Chief Justice, High Court of Karnataka with effect from 03.07.2022.
- Justice Aradhe was born in 1964 in Raipur and Justice Aradhe was appointed as an Additional Judge of the Madhya Pradesh High Court in the year 2009 and was designated as a permanent Judge of the Court in the year 2011.
- Eknath Shinde took oath as the new Chief Minister of Maharashtra while BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis took oath as the deputy Chief minister.
- Eknath Shinde has become the 20th Chief Minister of Maharashtra state.
- Eknath Shinde was born on 9 February 1964 in a Hindu Maratha family.
- Eknath Shinde was elected MLA for the first time in the year 2004 from the Kopri-Panchpakhadi seat of Thane, after Eknath Shinde was elected as a member of the Legislative Assembly in the year 2009, 2014 and 2019.