Answer:(B) - Velocity compounded impulse steam turbine
Curtis turbine is a velocity compounded impulse steam turbine
- In the Curtis turbine, a pair of moving and fixed blades are assembled after a nozzle.
- In the nozzle, pressure decreases, and velocity increases, so the enthalpy remains constant.
- In a moving blade, the kinetic energy of the fluid is used to convert mechanical energy; as the kinetic energy of the fluid is used, velocity gets reduced.
- The function of a fixed blade is redirecting the fluid leaving from 1st moving blade to the 2nd moving blade. In this, pressure and velocity remains constant
- Hence in the Curtis turbine, velocity is reduced and compounded by instating the fixed blade between two successive moving blades. So it is velocity compounded steam turbine
☛ Related Questions: