Processes and Threads MCQ form an important part of the GATE CS examination and other entrance examinations across the country such as NIELIT, SSC JE, and the kind that revolve around the evaluation and assessment of technical studies and the comprehension of STEM concepts in a candidate. In various engineering fields like computer science engineering, processes and threads refer to that instance of a computer program executed by one or more than one thread. In contrast, threads refer to the basic units to which the operating system allocates the processor time. Consequently, the field of processes and threads proves themselves to be highly vital across the GATE examination’s various categories, particularly in GATE CS.
Important Processes and Threads Topics for GATE CS
Following are the different processes and threads topics for GATE CS, and all other branches that form an important part of the processes and threads GATE syllabus.
In computing, scheduling refers to using which work is allocated to various resources within the system, which then concerns executing it.
In the domain of Operating systems and the field of concurrent computing, deadlock refers to a particular state wherein every individual member within a group is left waiting for another member, including itself, to proceed with any decisive course of action.
Memory management concerning operating systems refers to a form and category of resource management that concerns itself with the computer memory.
IPC or inter-process communication in computer science refers to the mechanism using which processes communicate with one another.
Tips to Solve Processes and Threads Questions for GATE CS
The following tips come in handy for solving processes and threads for computer science, ECE, and other GATE branches and other similar competitive examinations.
- Keep the various scheduling modes before attempting to solve any question under processes and threads.
- It is always advised to gain familiarity with the classical synchronisation problems to grasp better the concepts discussed under processes and threads.
- Familiarise yourself with the different process states of “New”, “Ready”, “Running”, “Waiting”, and “Terminated” to avoid any scope of confusion while attempting problems under processes and threads.
- Before you solve questions related to processes and threads, understand the different types of threads and how they are implemented.
Importance of Processes and Threads in GATE
The following points elaborate on the importance of processes and threads GATE questions in GATE and other engineering entrance examinations.
- Processes and threads form the core of operating systems in CS. Hence, a sound understanding of these concepts adds an edge to your preparations and helps you gain an advantage over your competitors while writing the examination.
- A sound understanding of the various concepts and topics included under processes and threads helps you save valuable time while solving scheduling questions.
- Performance of the candidates in processes and threads often proves to be a decisive factor while determining their qualification in the paper.
- The classical synchronization problems can be solved within minutes should the candidate process a fluent understanding of processes and threads.
Most Recommended Books for Processes and Threads for GATE
The following processes and threads books are the ones that are recommended the most to candidates who are attempting a processes and threads online test or processes and threads online quiz.
Operating System Concepts
Silberschatz, Galvin, and Gagne
Operating Systems: Internals and Designs
Computer Organization and Architecture (Edition 7)
Hamacher, Vranesic, Zaky
Introduction to Algorithms (Edition 3)
Thomas H Cormen, Charles E Leiserson, Ronald L Rivest, Clifford Stein
Why Prepare Processes and Threads From BYJU'S Exam Prep?
Gradeups’s comprehensive bank of processes and threads notes for GATE PDF coupled with its processes and threads GATE questions and answers PDF helps candidates gain an in-depth understanding of all the various concepts that are entailed under this particular topic. Irrespective of whether a candidate is looking for processes and threads notes for GATE CS, GATE ECE, and GATE Electrical or processes and threads study material for GATE CS and all the various branches, BYJU'S Exam Prep acts as a one-stop solution for them and furnishes them with additional practice material with its processes and threads MCQ PDF.
BYJU'S Exam Prep provides you with a firm grasp over all the topics included in the processes and threads syllabus for GATE and have adequate resources at your disposal for compiling processes and threads GATE notes. Practice whatever you have learned by attempting a processes and threads quiz now and then and brush up on your processes and threads notes for CS to stay ahead of the curve.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. What is the relationship between threads and processes?
Answer: A thread is the unit of execution that is contained within a process. A process, in turn, may consist of one or more threads.
Q. Can a process have multiple threads?
Q. Are threads faster than processes?
Q. What are the advantages of using multithreading instead of multiple processes?
Answer: Threads require few sources and generate less overhead.
Q. What are the three classical synchronization problems?
Answer: Bounded Buffer, Dining Philosophers, and Reader Writer.