Now, on 06th July 2021, Dr. Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of Central Government has declared that the CET will be conducted in early 2022. The exam was earlier scheduled to be held at the end of 2021, nevertheless, the rise of COVID cases has forced the government to delay the exam process to 2022.
Go through the essential pointers of the Rajya Sabha Report no. 95 on the Common Eligibility Test (CET):
1. Through this CET, the whole system would be revamped in two stages, i.e.
- Tier-I i.e. a Common Eligibility Screening Test (Preliminary Test): Common Eligibility for all recruiting agencies i.e SSC, Railways, Banking, etc
- Tier-II i.e. the main examinations to be conducted independently by the concerned recruiting agencies.
2. CET would be conducted at three levels:
- Matriculation level
- Higher Secondary (10+2) level
- Graduation Level
3. For this CET, candidates have to register themselves on National Career Services (NCS) portal which will generate a unique user ID for each candidate.
4. The government has estimated the registration of around 5 crores candidates for all of the above CET levels.
5. The government proposed to conduct CET of only those exams which are conducted in only 2 languages i.e English & Hindi. This is why, in February 2019, CET of only graduation level will be conducted. Other CET level exams will be conducted when commission acquires the necessary capability to conduct exam in the 8th schedule languages.
6. The government has also proposed two years' validity of CET scores. This CET score will help candidates to appear for Tier II examinations which would be conducted independently by the respective recruiting agencies like SSC, Banking, Railways etc.
7. There may be a scope that the CET score can be used by State Government/ PSUs/ Private sectors for the recruitment of manpower.
8. This CET will be conducted by SSC and SSC's stature should be given autonomy at par with the UPSC (recommended by the committee under the chairmanship of Shri I.M.G Khan).
9. Please note that this proposal is for the year 2019. SSC 2018 exams are likely to be held as per the calendar issued by the commission.
We have provided the above information from the report no. 95 of Rajya Sabha. You can read the detailed information regarding CET from page no. 30 to 34.
What are your views on CET? Write them down in the comments section below.