CLAT Important Topics
CLAT Exam is usually a 2-hour test, with 150 multiple-choice questions carrying 1 mark each. In the CLAT, there is a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer. Given below is the CLAT Paper Pattern. The candidates must have a clear understanding of the exam pattern to get a better understanding of the section-wise CLAT Important Topics.
Name of the Section
Number of Questions
Current Affairs, including General Knowledge
Section-Wise CLAT Important Topics
The candidates will get an idea about the section-wise Important Topics for CLAT. The CLAT UG Exam tests the candidate's aptitude, reasoning, and comprehension skills. The CLAT Question Paper does not test the prior knowledge of the law but rather will focus on the analytical/logical skills required for legal education. Common Law Admission Test CLAT is a key gateway to top NLUs in India.
CLAT English Language
This section usually comprises 28-32 questions carrying one mark each. The CLAT English Section evaluates candidates' skills in English Grammar, Comprehension, and Vocabulary. Stay updated with the CLAT Syllabus.
In this section of the CLAT UG Exam, you will be provided passages of about 450 words each. These passages will be derived from contemporary or historically significant fiction and non-fiction writing. They would be of a standard that a 12th standard student may be able to read in about 5-7 minutes. Know How to Prepare for CLAT without Coaching?
So the candidates must be focused on the below-mentioned CLAT Important Topics for this section to ace this exam with a good score.
- 5-10 questions based on Reading Comprehension are asked in every CLAT Paper under the English section. Grammar Rules and Sentence Improvements, Comprehension practice. Check Important Dos and Donts for CLAT.
- The common vocabulary-based questions asked in the English Section are Synonyms, idioms, foreign language words, and Spellcheck.
- Candidates should solve CLAT Quizzes on synonyms, antonyms, and the meaning of words because merely memorizing the words won’t be of any help.
CLAT Current Affairs including General Knowledge
This section comprises of around 35-39 questions carrying one mark each. The questions are designed in such a way to test the candidate's knowledge about legal information or the same related to the passage.
CLAT GK Section consists of passages instead of direct questions that were asked earlier. The passages would be of 450 words each, and the same would be derived from news, journals, etc. Questions based on such passages would be asked. Such a question can cover the static portion as well; candidates are therefore advised not to forgo the static portion entirely. The most Important Topics for CLAT GK are as follows: Know more about CLAT Counselling
- International Affairs
- Political Affairs
- National & State Affairs
- Supreme Courts judgments
- Science & Technology
- Govt. Schemes
- Contemporary events of significance from India and the world;
- Arts & Culture
- Historical events of continuing significance.
- Sports & Defence
- Appointment - National & International
All these passages will comprise such questions that will analyze your awareness of various aspects of CLAT Important Topics for current aﬀairs and general knowledge. Stay updated with the CLAT Registration Process.
CLAT Logical Reasoning
This section comprises around 28-32 questions carrying one mark each. A major chunk of the passage-based, which contain 300 words reasoning questions in the CLAT Logical Reasoning section, will be based on some major topics. Note the below points for CLAT Important Topics from this section. Get all the details for CLAT Answer Key.
- Deriving Conclusion from Passage
- Statement & Assumption and Argument
- Strengthening & Weakening arguments
- Statement & Course of Action
- Statement & Conclusion
- Assertion & Reason
- Cause & Effect
CLAT Legal Reasoning
This section comprises around 25-39 questions carrying one mark each. The CLAT Legal Reasoning section will consist of passage-based questions. Get expert recommended CLAT Books PDF list.
- The section will include passages of around 350-500 words, from which a series of 3 to 5 questions per passage will be asked. The passages will relate to any static or current topic/news related to the field of law.
Some of the most Important Topics for CLAT for this section are discussed in the following section.
- Important Supreme Court Judgments;
- Important and recent acts and amendments of the legislature;
- Important topics from Contract law, Criminal law, tort law, and Constitutional law;
- Legal GK and current affairs;
- International treaties and conventions affecting national legal framework, etc.
[Important Note: It should be noted that the only major alteration carved out in this section is that the passages have come in the place of principles. So, basically, the Principle-fact questions have been converted to Passage-fact questions, which has made them more lengthy and time-consuming. This section doesn’t require any prior knowledge of Law. Its sole aim is to test your judgment ability.]
In this section, the examinee is required to
- Identity and infer the principles/rules set out in the passage;
- Apply such principles to various facts given in the questions (which may be real or hypothetical)
- Understand how changes to the rules or principles may alter their application to various fact situations. Stay updated with CLAT Exam Dates.
CLAT Quantitative Techniques
This section comprises around 13-17 questions carrying one mark each. The CLAT Quantitative Techniques section will include short sets of facts or graphs, propositions, or other textual, pictorial, or diagrammatic representations of numerical information, followed by a series of questions. Get a list of CLAT Colleges.
Candidates have to attempt the objective-type questions based on calculating the information. You have to derive, infer and manipulate the numerical data, which will be based on ratios and proportions, basic algebra, mensuration, and statistics. The CLAT Important Topics that can be questioned in this section include the following:
- Set of facts,
- The textual
- Diagrammatic representation.