Definition:- Individual Differences are qualities, specifications, demographic characteristics, cultural factors intellectual power, and behaviouristic attributes that differentiate one human being from another in the whole aspect of life. For example- Americans are usually tall and white in color, Japanese considered to be short but are considered to be intellectual and innovative in nature. Individual Differences can be because of cultural differences also in America they have a culture to appoint new candidates for every new project but the Japanese follow a long-term policy to keep an employee for the long term.
Characteristics of Individual Differences
1. Individual Differences are the specific characteristics that differentiate one person from another. For example:- Everyone has a different perspective to think, act, and acknowledge things in their own way.
2. Individual Differences can be because of different tastes, preferences, needs, intrinsic and extrinsic potential towards society and self. For example:- Maslow needs hierarchy theory.
3. Dissimilarity is the principle of nature. For example:- No two persons can be the same in any aspect like physical characteristics, mental characteristics, and psychological characteristics.
4. Individuals differ from each other in many characteristics of life. For example:- Changes among individuals can be found in physical forms like in height, weight, color, complexion strength, etc., the difference in intelligence, achievement, interest, attitude, aptitude, learning habits, motor abilities, skill.
5. Each person has an intellectual capacity which one gains through experience and learning. For example:- learning by doing, project method, and play-way method.
Give CDP Quizzes: Attempt Here
Causes of Individual Differences:
5. Emotional Stability
1. Heredity:- is what we inheritance from our forefather, the similarity in a smile, way of walking, talking, speaking, thinking power and approaches to grasp things.
2. Environment:- Environment brings individual differences in behavior, activities, attitude, and style of life characteristics. Our environment consists of internal and external factors that affect our life. Internal factors are related to our family, friends, and relatives, External factors are related to school, culture, horizon to which we belong to.
3. Race and Nationality:- Race and Nationality also play a role in individual differences. Indians are very sympathetic in nature, Americans are very straightforward and open-minded and Europeans are very conservative in nature due to race and nationality.
4. Sex:- Due to sex variation, one individual differs from other. Men are strong and muscular and have strong mental power. On the other hand, women are emotional and sensitive.
5. Age:- Age is a crucial factor in determining individual differences. As in a span of life human being passes through toddlerhood, toy age, gang age, teenage, adolescence, and adulthood. Learning ability and adjustment capacity naturally grow with age. Major determinants of age are maturity, growth, and development.
6. Education:- Education plays a major role There is a huge gap in the behavior of literate and illiterate persons. Education plays a major in the all-around development and our development is prior to the education we obtain and the community we belong to.
Solve CTET Mock Test 2022 to Boost Your Preparation
Educational Implications of Individual Differences
Educational implications of Individual differences are listed below:
- Aims of education, curriculum, method of teaching should be designed keeping in mind the individual differences of a human being- capability, attitude, aptitude, and tolerance power.
- The teacher has to adopt different types of methods of teaching considering the individual difference in order to cater to the need of each individual especially considering special needs children.
- Co-curricular activities should be part of the everyday life of children so that they develop humanity, discipline, and courage towards life. For example:- Dancing, Singing, Religious and Patriotic play, Calligraphy, Painting, and Drawing.
- The teacher should use teaching aids in order to develop the interest of children towards studying and the selection of teaching aids should be according to the individual difference.
- Various methods of teaching such as the Playing method, Project method, Montessori method, and Storytelling methods are to be used considering/discovering how different children respond to a task or a problem.
Best CTET Books for CDP Preparation
It is important to include only the best books to prepare for CDP section. Check only the best CTET Books as suggested by subject experts to prepare for the upcoming exam. Some of the books are mentioned below:
CTET and TETs Child Development and Pedagogy Paper 1 and 2
CTET Child Development and Pedagogy for Paper 1 and Paper 2
By Pearson (Sandeep Kumar)
Educating Exceptional Children: An Introduction to Special Education