What is Quantitative Ability?
CAT 2022 is an online exam generally conducted on the last Sunday of November (CAT 2022 is expected to be held on 27th November 2022 however CAT 2022 official notification is yet to be released). The quantitative ability section is mainly based on basic mathematics to test the candidate on three things:
- Problem-solving skills
- Mathematical skills
- Numerical ability
You need to be well aware of the fundamental concepts of solving mathematical questions. You will be given 40 minutes to solve this section. Check the detailed CAT Exam pattern 2022
CAT Quantitative Ability Syllabus 2022
The Quantitative Ability section has a vast syllabus that requires a sound knowledge of the basics. This section has the maximum number of topics and sub-sections. Broadly the syllabus of Quant can be divided into the following topics:
- Number System and Modern Maths.
- Geometry and Mensuration.
It is important to note that the CAT Quant Syllabus mentioned here is tentative and is as per the past trends.
The Sub-categories of the CAT Quantitative Section comprises:
Profit, Loss and Discount
Indices and Surds
Percentage and Average
Inequalities and Modulus
Time and Work
|Functions and Groups||Logarithm|
|SI and CI||Algebraic Equations|
|Time, Speed and Distance||Lines and Angles||Cube/Cuboid|
|Maxima and Minima||Linear and Quadratic Equation|
|Permutation and Combination||Probability|
|Set Theory & Venn Diagram||Geometric Progression|
Difficulty Level of Quant Section of CAT
Considering the last 10 years’ CAT question papers, Quant questions range from 20 to 50 questions, while the IIM CAT cut-offs have varied from 1/3rd to more than 80% of the section. Thus, Quant has a moderate difficulty level.
Download CAT Question Papers PDF to practice and improve the level of your preparation.
CAT Quantitative Ability Questions Analysis 2022
Considering the previous year’s CAT exam in the wake of COVID-19, there were 66 questions in total, with 22 questions from CAT Quantitative Ability.
Quant Topics and Chapters
Expected number of Questions
|Time, Distance and Speed, Time and Work, Pipes and Cisterns, Simple Interest and Compound Interest, Ratios, Proportions and Variations, Percentages and Averages, Profit and Loss, Discount, Mixtures and Alligations|
13 to 15
|Inequalities and Modulus, Functions and Groups, Linear and Quadratic Equations, Polynomials, Logarithms, Algebraic Identities, Maxima and Minima|
6 to 8
|Permutations and Combinations, Probability, Set Theory & Venn Diagram, Binomial Theorem, Arithmetic progression, Geometric progression, Harmonic progression|
4 to 6
|Circles, Triangles, Polygons, Coordinate geometry, Lines and Angles, Trigonometry, Cone, Cylinder, Sphere, Cube/Cuboid, Prism Pyramid|
6 to 9
How to Crack the Quant Section of the CAT Exam?
CAT is not about how much you know but how much you can apply in the given time limit facing the given constraints of sectional partitions.
To compete assiduously in CAT Quantitative Ability 2022, you must follow the below-mentioned tips, techniques, and strategies:
- Practice chapter by chapter solving 15 to 25 questions varying from easy to moderate level. You must learn the fundamental theories and varieties of all chapters.
- Short Methods and Mental Maths to solve quant without lifting a Pen. Group Studies encourage discussion on unconventional methods and help in improving mental calculation.
- Time Training and Building Stamina to solve this paper in 120 minutes. You must dedicate 3-4 hours each day – only to Quant.
- Try as many MOCK Tests and Previous Years CAT exams as you can.
- Avoid the calculator and depend on your mental ability to decipher maths on topics like basic summation, tables, subtraction, and fractions. With time, you will realize how calculations have been made easy for you, and the answers are on your tips.
- Plan Preparation Schedule with a clear-cut timetable. Start with the basics, and then practice what you prepare. To begin with, you can start with a weekly planner and then into a daily strategy.
- Start with the basics and then move on to the more complex concepts. Eventually, you can start working on Shortcut Techniques.
- Focus on weak areas and practice with sectional time.
How to Schedule preparation for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT Exam
You must plan and track your progress each day in the CAT preparation journey. Schedule your time and chapters properly and give each chapter appropriate time to learn and practice thoroughly in Quant. Check-in detail How to Prepare Quantitative Aptitude for CAT 2022
This timetable may help you:
Topic of Quant
Hours to be dedicated
Factors and Multiples
Number Theory - Miscellaneous
Number Theory – Different
Combinations – Basic
Tougher Topics – Combination
Total Number of Hours
Profit and Loss
Linear and Quadratic equations
Speed, Time, and Distance
Pipes and Cisterns
Simple and Compound Interest
Total Number of Hours
Recommended Books for CAT Quantitative Ability Section
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by Abhijit Guha
- How to prepare for Quantitative Ability for CAT by Arun Sharma
The most comprehensive exam prep app.
If you are aiming to crack CAT and other MBA Exam, join BYJU'S Exam Prep Online Classroom Program where you get :
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card