Considering this question, we have come up with this article in which you will get all the important tips and suggestions that will be important for scoring good marks in the English Language Section of any competitive exam.
English section is unavoidable for almost all the competitive exams, be it Banking Exams (like RBI, SBI, IBPS), Insurance Exams (LIC, GIC, NIACL, etc), SSC, or exams like UPSC or State PSCs. The number of questions and proportion in terms of marks may vary but the English section forms a crucial part of all these exams.
In the recent pattern of the exams conducted by IBPS in which there is a sectional time limit of 20 minutes in the Prelims exam, English Langauge can be the section which will decide your result. If you are well versed in English, you can easily boost your exam score in these 20 minutes.
We hope the tips shared below will help resolve the challenges and problems which the Hindi Medium students face while preparing for the English section and in-turn help them score better in this segment. So, without any delay, let us now see how the English section can be mastered by the students of Non-English backgrounds.
How can Hindi Medium Students score better in the English Section?
The Bright Side – Why you shouldn’t be afraid of English?
English is a very scoring section once you get a good hold on the subject. It takes very little time to solve English questions compared to other sections like Reasoning or Quantitative Aptitude. You can answer the questions of this section just by reading, unlike other sections where you need a pen & paper.
You will need only a few seconds to analyze if the question can be attempted or not. So, in terms of value addition, this is the most scoring section in the least possible time. And given its omnipresence in competitive exams, you can’t ignore this section.
So we want you to work on this section a bit more so that you can score well in the upcoming IBPS 2020 Examinations (IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk, LIC Assistant, etc).
Always remember- "It doesn’t matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."
You Can Master English Section – Here’s how...
We will now share some easy methods, which will help you get a good hold over the English Language. These methods have been tried and tested by hundreds of students and if followed well, they will definitely bear fruit for you!
However, please keep in mind that you can’t master any language, let alone English, in 7-10 days. It will take at least one month to have a good command over it.
Follow the top 10 tips shared below and you will never be afraid of this subject.
1. Learn Grammar
- Every language has some rules and so does English. This should be your starting point.
- Do not just jump to exercises without knowing the basic rules.
- Every exam contains a lot of questions in the form of fill-in-the-blanks and error spotting.
- Good hold on grammar and vocabulary would help you to easily get through the cut-off of the exam.
- We shared a free PDF of the important Grammar Rules with you. Download it now and
- Check below important links to enhance your Grammar Skills easily. Study thoroughly Grammar rules governing English, idioms, phrases, and phrasal verbs to sharpen your command of the English Language -
2. Develop a Reading Habit
- Make a habit to read one English newspaper daily.
- If you are to travel frequently, buy a magazine or novel and try to complete it during your travel. Whenever you are free, read a novel.
- A wise person has said: ‘Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light.
3. Work on Spoken English
- There are a lot of mediums to work on this.
- If you are fond of news, start watching English News Channels.
- Watch debates and documentaries.
- You can also take the help of various YouTube channels for this (like Anglo Link).
- Speak as much English as you can.
4. Try to communicate in English
- We understand that it is difficult to suddenly start conversing in English, but you need to make efforts at your end.
- You can make use of English in your day-to-day chats to gain fluency.
- Adopting the use of English in your day-to-day conversations will not only help you work on your speaking skills but also boost your confidence with time.
- Surround yourself in the company of English-speaking people.
5. Work on Vocabulary
- Apart from following the above-mentioned points, start working on your vocabulary as well.
- Just learn 10 new words daily from the news articles that you have read. You will definitely have an edge in English over others.
- Just mugging up words without knowing their meaning or use will not help.
- If you have some spare time, make your own flashcards with the use and meaning written on them.
- Keep them with you wherever you go and try to revise them whenever you find the time.
- You can go through our daily wordlist and important root words of English Language through below links -
6. Improve your reading time
- Once you start reading the newspaper on a daily basis, you tend to get acquainted with the style of writing.
- You should start working on improving the time you spend reading newspapers.
- This can be accomplished by devoting proper time to regular reading.
- This exercise will come in handy while attempting reading comprehension-based questions in the exam.
7. Solve Reading Comprehensions
- The best way to improve reading ability is to practice a lot of reading comprehension questions.
- We at Gradeup provide a lot of Reading Comprehension passages in our quizzes, which you can attempt at any point in time. Just download our app and start practicing.
8. Start Writing
- Work on your writing skills.
- Start writing essays, letters, precise, etc.
- This will not only help you to improve your writing skills for descriptive papers but also help you in improving your overall confidence.
- You can also get them checked by the mentors or your fellow members of gradeup!
9. Attempt Daily English Quizzes on Gradeup:
- Make it in habit of attempting all the English language quizzes provided on gradeup app daily
- Attempt daily quizzes from here
So, if you have not studied in an English medium school or you lack confidence in the English section, don’t worry. Follow the tips shared above regularly and you will definitely see an improvement in your English score. Give mocks and analyze your performance. Make sure to solve 3 comprehension passages daily to improve your speed.