Basics of Internet, Intranet, Audio and Video-conferencing
We live in a digitised world and internet is the reigning deity of our present times. Today, we are facing situations that involve us to make use of computers, laptops, phones, and internet among others. In such a scenario, we must be conscious of some of the terms associated with the usage of internet in our daily life. To start with, let us define what exactly we mean by the internet.
1. Internet: Internet is a huge networking structure that connects the billions of users and devices across the globe. It connects users of over 190 countries in the world by allowing them the free exchange of digital information at lightning speed. Since the internet connects tons of networks and users, it is also sometimes referred to as “networks of networks”. Usually, the term ‘Internet’ and ‘World Wide Web are used interchangeably. However, WWW is only one of the Internet services. Let us also learn about other terms related to the Internet:
a. World Wide Web: The internet is the collection of many different systems and protocols. The World Wide Web is one of the protocols. WWW is often called as Web and is a collection of information, data, videos, pictures and so on. It allows resources to be linked seamlessly.
b. URL: The term URL stands for Universal Resource Locator. Basically, URL is the link that connects the user to the remote locator on the World Wide Web. When someone asks you to share the link of a website, they are basically asking you for URL. URL is written like this: https://byjusexamprep.com/. A URL address contains directory path and file name and can become excessively long sometimes.
c. Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol: These are the set of rules that a computer must follow to exchange messages over the internet. There are two important protocols that allow the computer to transmit data – TCP and IP. With IP and TCP, all computers and other devices can communicate virtually.
- IP address: An IP address is a unique number that each computer is allocated. If a user is connected to the Internet, that computer will have a unique IP address which is expressed numerically. This is how an IP address looks like- 22.214.171.124. An IP address would contain four numbers, separated by a dot and ranges from 0 to 255.
- Domain Name: A domain name is a name or description of a location on the internet. It is usually separated by a dot. For example- www.description.com, www.comments.com, www.uniquenames.com and so on.
- Domain Name System (DNS): DNS is a database of domain names & their IP addresses. Each domain name corresponds to its IP address.
- HTML: HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language. It is a coding language that tells the browser where to place pictures, multimedia and text. When a user clicks on a link within a webpage, the coded link (HTML content) links the user to a specific webpage.
- Hypertext: A hypertext can be the small alphabet, letter or word that links to another webpage or document.
d. Homepage: A homepage is the index page or main page of a website. For example, if we open the Nescafe’s website on the internet, it will lead us to its homepage.
e. Server: A server is a computer with a software program that serves the webpages on the same computer or another one. A computer other than the server is called a client computer.
f. Upload: Upload denotes transferring data from your device to another device.
g. Download: Download means to transfer data from other device or source to our own device.
2. Intranet: An intranet is a secure and private network that shares data applications with the defined users within the private group. It is common for companies, educational institutions to store internal contact information, calendar, notices and schedules on their intranet. Internet is different from the intranet. Some of the terms associated with intranet have been discussed in the pointers below:
a. Activity Stream: The activity stream is what keeps the user informed about the shared data or happenings of the institution or company. Navigating an activity stream is extremely easy as one gets acquainted with the intranet software on their device.
b. Activity Ticker: An activity ticker keeps the users updated about the events without going anywhere. An activity ticker is useful especially when the community of the users is rampant with the user action.
c. Intranet Administrator: Every intranet requires an administrator or an individual that manages the intranet. The administrator has a wide range of tasks to handle for the smooth functioning of the intranet.
3. Audio and Video Conferencing: Conferencing allows multiple members to be a part of the discussion and information exchange at the same point of time. Today, various types of options are available for online conferencing which includes audio as video.
a. Audio Conferencing: When the members make use of telephonic instruments or internet sources that involve the exchange of just audio messages and information, it is called audio conferencing. Audio conferencing is also called as teleconferencing service sometimes and is quite popular for facilitating business.
b. Video Conferencing: It is a face to face conferencing between two or more participants to exchange information and messages. It adds a visual element to the collaboration or exchange process. Hence, it is more effective. Softwares like skype and ezTalks meetings allow both audio and video conferencing. A good online conferencing (whether audio or video) requires investment in high-quality equipment such as microphones, web camera, computer, good internet connectivity and so on. Both audio and video conferencing helps to surpass issues related to time and space.
We hope you like this initiative and keep learning.
Score Better. Go BYJU'S Exam Prep.