Assistant Section Officer
Assistant Section Officer also known as ASO is one of the most popular and respected jobs in the country. It is a highly sought-after job and candidates have to take the SSC CGL to qualify for it. Earlier, this designation was known as Assistant in Central Secretariat Service (CSS). The work of an assistant section officer is mostly clerical and is pertinent to the function of various departments of the central government. An ASO in CSS holds various powers and is a great career as well.
ASO Full Form
The full form of ASO is Assistant Section Officer which is a popular work designation under various SSC CGL job profiles. Lakhs of candidates compete for this job, hence, knowing the various details about it is important. In the article below, we have provided everything one needs to know about the Assistant Section Officer job.
Assistant Section Officer Salary
After the 7th Pay Commission, the Assistant Section Officer Salary in CSS post comes under 4600-grade pay. Based on this SSC CGL Salary, the estimated salary of an Assistant Section Officer in CSS after the 7th pay commission is as follows:
Pay Level of ASO in CSS
ASO Pay Scale
Rs 44,900 to Rs 1,42,400
ASO Grade Pay
Basic Pay of ASO in CSS
HRA of ASO in CSS (@27%)
DA of ASO in CSS (@34%)
TA of ASO in CSS
Assistant Section Officer Salary
Please Note: Dearness Allowance has been increased by the central government. The total DA is now 34%. Salary has been shown as per the updated DA.
SSC CGL ASO Allowances
Along with a respectable income, SSC CGL ASO offers a number of perks and allowances. Regardless of the department or ministry, the SSC CGL ASO allowances are the same. The following are some of the allowances:
- House Rental Allowance
- Dearness Allowance
- Travel Allowance
- Medical benefits
- Paid leaves
Check: SSC CGL Selection Process 2023
Assistant Section Officer (ASO) Job Profile
The SSC ASO Job Profile in CSS mainly includes clerical work like completing files and making reports, routine noting, drafting, writing a letter, and putting them up to the higher authorities. Here are some other important points regarding ASO Job Profile:
- Sometimes ASO in CSS may also have to assist in the formulation and monitoring implementation of policies concerning subjects
- As an Assistant Section Officer, you also need to maintain the vital link between Parliament and the Central Secretariat, especially when it comes to the handling of Parliament Questions, Assurances & Government Bills
- In addition to noting, drafting, and interpreting rules and regulations, you also have to ensure continuity in the policies of the Government of India
Assistant Section Officer Roles & Responsibilities
As mentioned earlier, the job nature is completely alike a clerical/desk job. Here are some important points regarding the Assistant Section Officer roles and responsibilities in CSS as per the officers who are already in service:
- The office of CSS is no less than a private corporation with facilities like air-conditioned offices, canteens, etc.
- ASO in CSS is responsible for coordinating with other sections of the department and across the department
- The job assigned to ASO in CSS is quite easy and there is no deadline for the job
- Your colleagues have also cleared the SSC CGL and understand how difficult it is to be in the CSS department hence you will find your colleagues to be very supportive
- As an ASO in CSS, you will get enough time to learn the job (if you do not have the prior skills)
- Life is quite comfortable and as stated above you will stay in Delhi for your entire life. Although if one wants, then he/ she can go on deputation to some attached offices in other cities
- An ASO in CSS also gets various benefits such as travel concessions, health scheme (CGHS), access to office and quarter (if you get one) gymnasiums, library, etc.
- You will get enough time to pursue your interests such as reading novels, playing a sport, learning a musical instrument, etc.
- This job is completely corruption-free and as an ASO in CSS you are paid well around Rs 60,000 (in-hand) after the 7th pay commission
- The best part is you get posting as per your preference (though in Delhi only) and get leaves when you want.
If you are excited and motivated enough to crack the SSC CGL ASO exam, you must acquaint yourself with the subject-wise SSC CGL Syllabus and SSC CGL Cut Off.
Assistant Section Officer (ASO) in CSS: Job Location
As an Assistant Section Officer (ASO) in Central Secretariat Service (CSS) through SSC Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam, you will be working in Delhi and will be posted in Delhi throughout your professional career. This makes the ASO post a lucrative option for those who want to stay in Delhi permanently.
SSC CGL ASO Salary Slip
Assistant Section Officer is one of the most popular posts among the SSC CGL aspirants. Candidates who are hired as assistant section officers get to work in various government departments and ministries. Given below is the latest SSC CGL ASO Salary Slip. Apart from the basic salary, SSC CGL ASO gets other allowances too.
Note: The salary slip above belongs to an Assistant Section Officer (ASO) who has completed 3 years of service.
- SSC CGL Assistant Enforcement Officer
- SSC CGL Assistant Audit Officer
- SSC CGL Income Tax Inspector Salary
Assistant Section Officer in CSS: Career Growth
As an Assistant Section Officer in other Ministries, several opportunities will come in your way that will help you reach at greater heights. The career path of an Assistant Section Officer is as follows:
If you want to get a promotion to Section officer (Grade pay- 4800) within 5-7 years; you must pass the Inter-Department Test conducted by the UPSC. Otherwise, it would take 10-12 years to get the promotion. Promotion in CSS is pretty fast. There is no direct recruitment at upper functionary, i.e. Under Secretary, Deputy Secretary. Therefore, SSC CGL ASO in CSS is a promising career option with good growth opportunities.
Assistant Section Officer Qualification
According to the SSC CGL Eligibility, the educational qualification required for the Assistant Section Officer (ASO) position is a Bachelor's degree from a recognized university or its equivalent in any discipline. Candidates who are in the final year of their graduation are also eligible to apply for the ASO post.
Assistant Section Officer Age Limit
The Age Limit for ASO in CSS is from 20-to-30 years where there is upper age relaxation for certain sections, which is given below:
Age Relaxation (Years)
PwD + Gen
PwD + OBC
PwD + SC/ST
3 (after deduction of the military service rendered from the actual age as on the closing date)
Defence Personnel disabled in operation during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area and released as a consequence thereof
Defence Personnel disabled in operation during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area and released as a consequence thereof (SC/ ST)
Assistant Section Officer in CSS: Important Points
Here are some important points that you need to keep in mind before applying for ASO in CSS:
- You need to qualify for CPT otherwise getting even 1st rank will not make you eligible for CSS.
- Fastest joining process after selection (within 2 months of Final result)
- Transfer: Since you get postings in various Delhi ministries, you will always get postings in Delhi only. No tension of getting transferred.
- Work Timings: Working hours are comfortable with 9 to 5 timings, and there would be holidays on Saturday and Sunday. No extra work hours and working in shifts.
We believe that the information we have provided is comprehensive enough to answer all of your questions regarding the Assistant Section Officer in the Central Secretariat Service post offered through the SSC CGL exam. We encourage you to consider this highly respected and rewarding position and wish you the best of luck in your career aspirations. Also, you must attempt SSC CGL Mock Test and enroll for SSC CGL Online Coaching to excel in the exam with much ease.
Commentswrite a comment