A school/college teacher has a lot of obligations. If you wish to pursue your career as a college lecturer and have a strong commitment and desire for it, then you must know the details about it.
UGC Assistant Professor Eligibility 2021
As per the UGC assistant professor eligibility, you must have a master’s degree with a minimum aggregate percentage secured to be eligible for lecturer profile:
UGC Assistant Professor Qualification
Master’s degree with a minimum of 55% marks
Master’s degree with a minimum of 50% marks
- There are no age limit criteria set to be eligible to apply for the profile of Assistant professor. Many students choose this profession after getting prior experience, which proves to be beneficial in getting the job.
- Therefore, there is no upper limit to UGC Assistant Professor age limit
UGC NET Recruitment 2021 for Assistant Professor
The following are the upcoming examinations to crack For Assistant Professor
To pursue your career as a professor, you must appear for the competitive exams mentioned below-
- NET (National Eligibility Test)
- NET, known as UGC NET, is a competitive test directed by NTA (National Testing Agency) to choose candidates for the profile of lecturer and JRF.
- To apply for this test, you should have a postgraduate degree with at any rate 55% marks from a recognized college, to be qualified for this test.
- When you clear the test and get the UGC NET Certificate, you can apply for the Assistant Professor profile in reputed universities and colleges the nation over.
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)
The Graduate Aptitude Test is an All-India competitive examination conducted by the GATE Committee, which comprises faculty members from IISc, Bangalore, and the seven IIT’s.
You can use the GATE score to pursue a PhD and, after publishing your research papers as a PhD thesis you can apply for a professor/lecturer post in IITs or NITs.
- SLET (State Level Eligibility Test)
SLET is a state-level assessment that is additionally directed by the National Testing Agency. Subsequent to clearing SLET, you will get qualified to apply and work with state-level schools and colleges.
- CSIR NET
CSIR NET is a national-level test, led by the National Testing Agency. The test is conducted in the field of science including Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, and Earth Sciences.
This test checks the qualification of possibility to apply for the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) or Lectureship (LS).
Exemptions to PhD. Holders
- According to the new rules, the Supreme Court of India had reported that if candidates have a PhD. Degree, at that point they can get an exemption from applying for NET Exam.
- It implies you can straightforwardly go after lecturer positions in different colleges with your PhD degree.
- But to avail of the exemption, certain conditions should be fulfilled by the candidates –
- The PhD degree should be granted through regular mode.
- The degree must be awarded by two external examiners at the very least.
- You should be ready for viva-voce.
- You should have distributed at least two papers on your ph.d thesis.
What is the UGC Pay Scale for Assistant Professor?
- Professors or lecturers enjoy a good salary package in India. The salary of professors depends upon many aspects like:
- Usually, the monthly salary of an Assistant Professor, Associate professor and professor depends upon pay grade and many other factors. It varies from 70,000 1,50,000 INR.
- In India, the Professors or Lecturers can get the highest payment from these institutes–
Assistant Professor Selection Process:
1. Written and Interview
Some of the selection commissions intend to fill their assistant professor vacancies via a written test followed by an interview. The written test generally includes a general paper and either one or two subject-specific papers. The general paper consists of general knowledge, current affairs, teaching aptitude, comprehension etc. The second paper will be strictly based on the subject chosen by the candidate.
After the written test the agency will issue a merit list. Qualifying candidates will move on to step two of the selection process i.e. the interview. After the interview, a final merit list based on the written test and interview marks will be made. The candidate who qualifies in the last round will be selected for the assistant professor post in the university offered by the concerned agency.
2. Direct Interview
Another mode of selection is the direct interview. Agencies also recruit assistant professors directly by conducting interviews. Your merit will be calculated on the basis of marks acquired in the interview and the overall academic merit. Candidates will apply for the post and will appear for the interview if they are found eligible. Final merit will be issued by the agency after the interview session is completed.
Recent Notifications for Assistant Professor
|Recent Notifications||Links to the Notifications|
|RPSC Notification||Click Here|
|UPPSC Notification||Click Here|
|UPHESC Notification||Click Here|
|JMI Notification||Click Here|
|OPSC Notification||Click Here|
|IIFT Notification||Click Here|
|Swami Shraddhanand College Notification||Click Here|
|Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gorakhpur University Notification||Click Here|
|OPSC Assistant professor Notification (Teacher Education)||Click Here|
|Central University of Punjab Assistant, Associate Professor Recruitment||Click here|
|CGPSC Professor Recruitment 2021||Click here|
|Delhi University DU Assistant Professor Recruitment 2021||Click here|
|KEA Assistant Professor Recruitment 2021||Click here|
|Allahabad University Assistant Professor Recruitment 2021||Click here|
UGC Regulations 2021 for Assistant Professor
According to the notifications released by the UGC itself, there are a few major points related to the UGC Guidelines 2021 for Assistant Professor.
- They have stated that a PhD degree is mandatory for Assistant Professor in University i.e at the Post-graduation level.
- The PhD degree is also mandatory for Assistant Professor in Promotion( Academic Level-12).
- Yet, it is very clear that UGC NET will remain the eligibility criteria for Assistant Professor (Academic level-10)
Stages of promotion from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor
- After obtaining the necessary qualifications, applicants can start their teaching career as lecturers or directly as assistant professors.
- Associate professors are promoted to the professor after gaining 12/14 years of teaching/research experience and publishing the required minimum number of research books/articles.
- Candidates who wish to be promoted to the Assistant Professor position must have the above qualifications and must have equivalent or equivalent qualifications from the National Qualification Exam (NET) or UGC / CSIR, or a PhD in a related discipline.
- To be promoted to the position of associate professor, the assistant professor must have at least 6/8 years of experience together with the above-mentioned qualifications and have published 5 high-quality research articles/journals/books in one of the recognized journals.
- To become a professor, an associate professor must have a PhD. In related fields, high-quality work must be published, high-quality research must be actively involved, at least 10 publications such as books or research articles or policies, and according to the specific specifications of the institution, candidates must have at least 12/14 years of experience.
- In addition to academic performance and teaching/research experience, according to UGC guidelines, candidates must have the required minimum API or academic performance indicators. UGC has developed API calculation standards. API scores are based on direct teaching hours, proficiency knowledge, test and assessment completion, and student feedback.
- After assistant professors have obtained the minimum required experience and met the minimum publication requirements, API score and other standards, they can be promoted or apply for associate professor positions in different institutions.
We hope you found this article informative and helpful.
Team BYJU'S Exam Prep
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.