Advantages of Dams
Since the beginning of the development of infrastructure, dams have been constructed on rivers by incurring high costs because there are various advantages of dams which are as follows:
- Electricity is generated through dams using the hydroelectric plant.
- The flow of water is regulated which is used for serving domestic, agricultural, and industrial needs.
- The reservoir built behind the dam can be used for water sports, irrigation, or even other types of pleasurable activities.
- Generating electricity through dams does not cause pollution as no greenhouse gases are created in the process.
Disadvantages of Dams
There are certain disadvantages of dams as well which must be considered as cons. The drawbacks of dams are listed below:
- Large-scale migration of people out of the area where the dam is proposed to be built.
- The construction of huge dams leads to a major deterioration of the earth’s surface which causes geological harm.
- Building dams is a very costly and time-taking process.
- The construction of dams takes many years which leads to poor quality of life for the people living nearby the construction areas.