What is Abraham Accord?
The Abraham Accord is a combined statement established by the US for strengthening the peaceful relationship between the Arab states and Israel (Israel, Bahrain, and the United Arab Emirates). The agreement was termed after Abraham as both Judaism and Islam regarded as the prophet.
Now that we are clear on ‘What is Abraham Accord?’ let us move further and study which countries signed this Abraham accord.
Abraham Accord Countries
The Abraham accord was signed between the Abraham accord countries - the United States of Emirates, the state of Israel, and the United States.
- This accord was signed to bring peace, harmony, and mutually cooperate between countries.
- According to the recent updates, after the current war between Israel and Palestine in May 2020, the necessary initiative was taken by the US administration and president Joe Biden to motivate the other Arab countries to support Israel in the existing deal by signing the Abraham Accord after facing the disastrous war in the Gaza Strip.
- However, in November 2021, Iran did not sign the accord confirmed by foreign minister Fuad Hussein even after several considerations. Since the independence of Israel in 1948, there have been contrary correlations between Israel and other Arab countries to a great extent because of the arising dispute over the sovereignty of Palestine.
- Subsequently, Sudan and Morocco were the other nations to join the accord in the same year to regulate conflict-free relationships with Israel.
Abraham Accord Key Points
Here are some of the key points to know about the Abraham Accords given below -
- Abraham Accord is a combined statement to strengthen the peaceful relationship between the Arab states and Israel.
- Abraham Accord was signed between the United States of Emirates, the state of Israel, and the United States.
- The UAE was the third country to join the agreement with Israel after Jordan in 1994 and Egypt in 1979.
- Simultaneously, Israel took an interest in modifying the functions of the West Bank to fix the strong foreign relations.
- According to the agreement, the UAE and Bahrain will establish a ministry and agent to support Israel in tourism, trade, medical, security, etc.
- Muslims worldwide can visit the holiest place of Israel, Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem, and the ancient monuments of Israel by the agreement.
- Through the accord, the UAE, Bahrain, and Israel convey their mutual consent to the rising of Iran's effect and up-gradation of ballistic missiles in the region as a problem.
- To attain sustainable peace between Shia and Sunni and between Persian and Arab, interaction is the key point that needs to be followed.
- The US may be a leading power in the Middle East, but Russia has occupied a position for itself by disbursing less amount.
- Recently, China has shown the possibility and willingness to be a part of a bigger role in this area and is closer to both UAE and Israel along with Saudi Arabia.
- India should take all the necessary steps for its welfare before China influences all the other nations related to this market.
- India can have a stronger connection than the other nations if the right measures are taken to arrange the geopolitical situation in the Middle East.
- Since 1948, Israel has confronted three great wars against the diversity of Arab nations. Despite Israel's triumph over the war, it was aware of the unacceptance of military dominance for a long time.
- The three great wars fought by Israel against the Arab nations were the Suez Crisis in 1956, the Six-Day war in 1967, and the Yom Kippur war in 1973.
- The official recognition of the Camp David Accord was in 1979, signed between Israel and Egypt at the end.
Significance of Abraham Accord
The accord has been crucial in bringing up all the Abraham accord countries together to deal with the problems related to Israel- Palestine conflict and work on the solutions with mutual understanding and cooperation for peace, stability, prosperity, and progress of the countries. The agreement also emphasizes the interest of the people of nations which can lead to hassle-free relations for Israel with the Middle East and the world. The profound contribution of the United States to Israel and other Arab states shares the accord to rule out the clauses. The clauses are as follows -
- Establishment of diplomatic relations: The agreement comprises establishing diplomatic relations of bilateral ties between the Abraham accord countries like the United States of Emirates and the states of Israel. They worked together for the welfare of mutual countries.
- General Principles: The parties must follow the principle guided by the Charter of the United Nations Provisions and the norms of international laws ruling the relations between the states. Particularly, the signatories must respect and recognize each other's sovereignty and develop friendly relations to live peacefully and securely by resolving their conflicts.
- Establishment of Embassies: The parties shall exchange native ambassadors immediately after signing the accord to conduct diplomatic and foreign relations per the principles of international laws.
- Peace and stability: The parties must negotiate any terrorist or hostile activities against each other on or from their respective territories and also undertake the necessary measure to avoid any offensive activities or supporting such illegal activities by developing mutual understanding, and coordination among them, especially in the aspects of peace and stability. The parties must discuss the matters related to their region to further develop cooperation for stability among the nations.
Abraham Accord and India
Now we will discuss the opportunities which India gets from Abraham Acord. Following are the key pointers:
- Geopolitically, India has honored the formation of diplomatic relations between the states of Israel and the United States of Emirates by naming both a strategic alliance.
- India has a strong, miscellaneous, and developing socioeconomic commitment with Israel and Gulf countries. Hence, any regional interchange will affect the interest in foreign policy in India's strategy.
- The accord expands the modified administration for growing diplomatic relations and a peaceful solution for the Palestine conflict, relieving India's diplomatic stabilization.
- The chances of the southern Gulf becoming the new ground for the tug-of-war between Israel and Iran cannot be guaranteed, especially in the region of Shia. India has to compel to look after and observe such conflicts.
- India has received a huge and gratifying territorial footmark referring to the sources of food, gem, jewelry, pharmaceutical, etc. Israel could object to the stance of India comparing the ability in horticulture, solar power, etc.
- The cold war between Sunni and Shia has been the cause of uncertainty about peace and stability in West Asia, which can be broken by the accord verifying India-Iran's relations.
- India's acceptance of the Abraham Accord can help to develop military and security with the United States of Emirates.
Abraham Accord UPSC
The Abraham Accord is a relevant topic of current affairs internationally and nationally. This is considered an important topic for the UPSC Prelims and UPSC Mains. Candidates must prepare all related using the relevant UPSC Books and ensure that they are fully prepared for the upcoming UPSC Exam.
Abraham Accord UPSC Question
Question. "Abraham Accord" is a signed accord between the countries —--
- US and Iran
- UAE and Israel
- Turkey and Israel
- None of the above
Answer: Option B