Hope you all are Safe and Healthy !
As we already discussed Jet Engines & their types and working in our previous article . Also we have discussed Turbojet Engines. In continuation with that here in this article we are going to tell you all about one of the types of Jet Engine : Ram Jet Engines.
Ramjet is also referred as "flying stovepipe" and "athodyd", use engine's forward motion to compress the incoming air without the use of axial compressor. Ramjet Engines cannot produce thrust at 0 airspeed, they can't move the aircraft at standstill. Ramjets work efficiently at supersonic speeds like Mach 3.
Components of Ramjet Engines:
Properties of Ramjet Engine:
- A Ramjet is basically designed around its inlet. It uses high pressure in the front of engine to force air through the tube.
- The basic principle of a supersonic and subsonic diffuser is to convert the kinetic energy of the entering air into a pressure rise called Ram Pressure.
- Ramjet donot develops static thrust.
- Ramjet requires high speed flight.
- All the efficiencies i.e. Thermal, Propulsive and Overall increase with increasing flight Mach Number.
- High pressure and temperature can be employed.
- Load capacity is very high.
- During the compression process in Ramjet Engine, kinetic energy of incoming atmospheric air is converted into the potential energy by the diffuser.
Uses of Ramjet Engines:
- Ramjet Engines are used in Aircraft propulsion systems.
- Ramjet Engines are used in Supersonic Missiles propulsion systems.
- Hiller Hornet Helicopter, Focke-wulf triebflugel, Leduce Experimental Aircraft uses Ramjet Engine.
(Share with friends and Comment below if have any doubt or query regarding the article or if you want any article of your choice)
To check regular updates and read more articles, check here.
Stay tuned with Gradeup for more such articles!
Sahi Prep Hai Toh Life Set Hai