10 Important Tips to Crack UPSC Prelims Exam 2022
The UPSC Prelims is the first and the most difficult hurdle to clear in the UPSC Exam. Each year, lakhs of candidates appear for the exam and only some thousands are able to clear the UPSC Cutoff. The UPSC Exam requires consistent hard work, smart work, persistence and patience, the right UPSC Preparation Strategy, time management, and others to succeed.
Let's now focus on the Tips to Crack UPSC Prelims 2022 in one go!
- Understand the UPSC Syllabus
- Analysis of the Previous Year's Papers
- Planning the Correct UPSC Strategy
- Revision is the Key
- CSAT for UPSC Prelims 2022
- Avoid Negative Marking
- Attempt Mock Tests
- Stay Confident and Avoid Negativity
- Access Mindful Techniques
Understand the UPSC Syllabus
- Before starting with the UPSC preparation, a candidate must go through the entire UPSC Syllabus word by word. One must understand the difference between the UPSC Prelims Syllabus and the UPSC Mains Syllabus.
- Though the preparation for UPSC Prelims and UPSC Mains is integrated, there are certain topics that are different. It is always advised to get a PDF of the syllabus, which eases the preparation.
- In the static portion of the UPSC Syllabus, the major part remains unchanged unless and until notified. To cover the static part, UPSC Books along with the NCERT Books for UPSC are more than sufficient. If one remains honest with the syllabus and the sources, the syllabus can be very well covered.
- The dynamic section of the UPSC Syllabus is vast and changes every day. It is important that the aspirant is updated with the Current Affairs and recent happenings. The sources can be fewer, but selective. The candidates are advised to refer to Current Affairs Videos, watch RSTV debates, read monthly Current Affairs Magazine and refer to websites and web sources from time to time to update their topics.
- Interlinking of both the static and the dynamic is what the UPSC refers to in its UPSC Previous Year Questions. According to the UPSC Exam Pattern, it is essential that the aspirant prepares both the portion well and in a holistic way.
- The CSAT Syllabus for Paper 2 of the UPSC Prelims, solving Previous Year Papers, attempting mocks, and having the hold on mathematical formulas and comprehension would definitely help you to clear the CSAT paper.
Analysis of the Previous Year's Papers
- Before starting the UPSC Preparation, one must be aware of the UPSC Exam Pattern and the way in which the UPSC Exam is conducted.
- One must focus on the areas from which the Commission has asked more questions. This exercise is necessary to demarcate the time which has to be allotted to the specific subject or the areas concerned.
- One must differentiate the time and energy to produce the maximum results. From time to time, UPSC Exam Analysis is also very important.
- Do the basic mental workout on these points and also on areas which you feel are important for the preparation beforehand.
- The most common issue with the aspirants preparing for the UPSC Exam is what to refer to and what not to. The markets and the web has a plethora of options and resources available, which only leads to confusion.
- For basic learning, the NCERTs of all subjects are a must. This is because it will help you to understand the basic concepts. For advanced learning, one must refer to the standard books which are available in the market or in the digital form.
- Make concise and lucid notes of topics and the subjects. It is always suggested to make notes on plain A4 sheets, which are easy to carry and later help in content addition or updation as well. For example, students can refer to the Economy Notes for UPSC, and Indian History Notes for UPSC to get a better idea.
- Several lectures are available online on the BYJU’S Exam Prep Youtube channel, which can be utilized for the dynamic coverage of the topics.
- Keep your resources limited and revise them multiple times. Make sure you revise the entire UPSC Syllabus at least twice before appearing for the actual exam.
Planning the Correct UPSC Strategy
Planning is one of the most important parts of the UPSC preparation, which helps in optimizing time management by using them more effectively. It lets you prepare the sequence of steps to achieve that specific goal. The right strategy involves:
- Planning the targets. Micromanage your targets according to days, weeks, and months.
- Get disciplined and plan out your daily routine. Try to cover the UPSC Syllabus in a feasible way.
- Always do the smart work while preparing, and stick to the strategy.
- Reward yourself for little achievements and never feel disheartened with low scores. Try correcting them and focus on that portion more.
- “Read, Complete, Revise, Practice” should be the mantra for the preparation. It is the only way in which you can complete the huge UPSC Syllabus in a timely manner.
Revision is the Key
- Revision has been and always will be the prime key to success in any competitive exam. The UPSC Exam puts us in a habit to read a lot from various different sources available. What we do not focus on is the revision part. Revision is necessary at all times. The human mind tends to forget information if not revised at regular intervals.
- The UPSC Prelims exam time of 2 hours and multiple questions does not offer a lot of time to sit back and recall the facts.
- To utilize the time(every second of it) in the exam hall, one must be very active in choosing the correct options to get the lead in the exam.
- Book weekends for the sole purpose of revision. Revise whatever you have studied for the entire week.
CSAT for UPSC Prelims 2022
- CSAT needs good practice. Covering the major aspects of comprehension, logical reasoning, and data interpretation need mental accuracy and quickness.
- Candidates not from a Science or math background tend to practice more for the aptitude tests.
- The CSAT Exam is qualifying in nature and needs only 66 marks (33%) to qualify. But this should never be taken lightly and practiced the same as other papers of the UPSC Exam.
Avoid Negative Marking
- To successfully clear the UPSC Prelims 2022, one must analyze the UPSC Exam Pattern from the very beginning. UPSC Prelims is an exam of elimination, and therefore, one must limit their negative marking and choose wisely whether to answer the question or not, in which they have slight or no idea.
- To get a clear picture – if one attempts 70 questions right then one can definitely afford to get 30 wrong and still be in the race. If questions which completely known are less than this number may be the 60s-50s, then one cannot afford the negative marking much, as he or she will be out of the UPSC Prelims. The safe score lasts between 100-115, taking the margin of +5 and -5. Therefore, to get away with the fear of negative marking, practice ample PYQs, and mock tests.
Attempt Mock Tests
- To assess the preparation level, one must solve enough questions beforehand.
- The mocks should be given in an exam-like environment and must be in line with the candidates’ study timetable.
- Mocks have a strict adherence to the UPSC Syllabus and the type of questions asked. Solving mocks helps in multiple ways, such as revision, understanding the weak/strong areas, time management, etc.
Stay Confident and Avoid Negativity
- The entire process of the UPSC Civil Services Exam is quite long and hectic, which at times can become very overwhelming for the aspirants. The most important thing for the aspirant is to not let their distractions and negativity overtake their preparation process.
- The Civil Services Exam demands utmost discipline and regular hard work along with patience. So one needs to have a positive and motivated approach in tough times.
- ‘All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!’ The UPSC Exam tests the candidate on all aspects, and not just academics. It is very essential to engage oneself with some kind of hobby or recreational activity or sport which is refreshing as well as productive.
- Social life is important as it refreshes the mind. Do not completely cut from it but be mindful of distractions in them.
- Avoid negative thoughts and never indulge in time-consuming unfruitful conversations. Confidence is the key to cracking the UPSC Exam.
- Stay motivated and positive throughout the journey, irrespective of the consequences.
Access Mindful Techniques
- Mental consciousness and awareness are of utmost importance in this exam room. The high-level preparations will not reap fruits if the candidates do not know how to handle the stress.
- Remove any sort of anxiety. Do meditation, yoga, walking, or exercise, whichever brings you mental peace and calmness.
- Do not lose your appetite. With a healthy body comes a healthy mind.
- Read daily and don’t leave anything for the last hour. Avoid reading any new topic just before the exam.
- Proper sleep of 7-8 hours a day is essential for a productive mind. Cutting on sleep time will lead to non-remembrance of what you had studied the entire day
- Lastly, be easy with yourself and stay calm, composed, and collected. You have got this honestly if you dedicatedly stick to the preparations and daily study schedule.